my new bulldog puppy

booba

Mar 12, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
booba
hi
i got a bulldog 12 week old puppy, her name is Booba
i have 3 kids and was a little worryed and wanted to ask

she is very nice to all in general or after having a sleep, but some times she is starting to chew on our hands and it is pretty strong

should i worry about it that dog is dengerous for kids, or it is just her being a puppy, and playing and wants to chew things?
what do you do in this case, when she is having crazy moments like that

also she is peeing a lot in the house, how to train her
not sure if i should get mad at her or what
thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0658.jpg
    DSC_0658.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 259

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Well you can't be mad at a face like that ! she is adorable ! ! Puppies will Mouth EVERYTHING, its how they explore the world. Puppies also have to learn what is acceptable behavior. Hershey is 1 year old now, and he only chews on his toys, in the beginning he wanted to chew on our hands, or Nip us, but a sharp *OWW* and he would get the idea (even a loud OWW when it didnt really hurt, is the secret)

Peeing in the house. She is only 12 weeks old, are you kennel training her? Kennel training is very important, it protects the puppy from the house, as much as the house from the puppy. It only takes 1 electrical cord being chewed for a deadly disaster.

Keep reading all of these posts here, we're full of great information, and help and remember PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE. If you can raise a kid, ya can raise a puppy :p (This is from the guy who has 4 grand kids, and *NO* Kids of his own! :) :) :) gimme a puppy over a baby anyday :)

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Please don't get mad at her for peeing in the house. The old "rub their nose in it" theory is so wrong! She is still young and will make mistakes. She will learn from positive reinforcement. Take her out frequently and praise her for what she does outside. We taught one puppy to squat and pee by saying "pee pee in the grass" every time she peed where we wanted. Then all we had to do on walks is make the suggestion and she'd squat where she was.
[MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] is right. Kennel (crate) training is the best way to housebreak a dog. Not only will it reinforce potty training, but it will keep her out of trouble when you can't be with her. My son-in-law thinks it's cruel to crate the dog when you aren't home. I think it's worse to greet with anger when you come home because the dog got bored and destroyed something.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Sounds like you have a perfectly normal puppy right there!!!

Puppies chew! FACT!! If she chews on hands then a loud Ouch can distract her, and then replace the hand with a chew toy and praise her a lot when she starts to chew on it. I have always found the Nylabones and Kongs to be the best toys for bullies!!

As for the peeing. Again it's going to take time and patience to get that finally right. I always think the toilet training was the worst part of getting a puppy. And nobody can tell you how long it's going to take. It's different for every puppy!!

Take a look around the forum and you will soon find that you are not alone in either of those things!! :yes:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi new Bully parents, my name is Monica, and I have 2 English Bulldog pups, they are both 9 months old, and are brother and sister, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. I've noticed a lot of new puppy owners have posted questions regarding potty training for their new babies. Since my 2 are now 9 months old, and I have been through this already, I thought I might share what worked for us. The puppy stage is very much like having a baby in the house, the training takes time and patience, and sleepless nights, but it is a temporary phase. The best thing that you can do to make potty training go smooth and without accidents is to first crate train your new baby, this will make your life much easier. Crate training your pup is not a cruel thing to do, they actually learn that the crate is a safe place. You can use it for sleeping, and for a safe place to put puppy in when you can't watch or supervise them, and for when you need to go out. The other important thing to do for successful puppy training is establishing a schedule. This worked the best for us, and our babies were fully trained by 5 months old. The schedule that worked for us was:

6 am: Take puppy out for their first pee and poop of the day

7 am: Feed puppy breakfast 1/3 of a cup kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

7 am: From 7 am to 2 pm take your puppy out every hour or two throughout the day , and increase the
time by an hour each week , so they learn to hold.

2 pm: Feed puppy lunch 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

2 pm: From 2 pm to 8 pm, take your puppy out every hour or two during the day.

8 pm: Feed puppy dinner 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate of 10 mins to,let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out again.

8 pm: From 8 pm to 11 pm , take your puppy out every hour or two, until around 11 pm or 11:30 pm.
The last pee and poo break will be at around 11 pm before you go to bed.
Take your puppy's water away around 8 or 9 pm, otherwise you will have many accidents throughout
the night.

2 am: We would set our cell phone for 2 am to go out for a pee. The time between 11 pm and 6 am when
they go out for their first pee is too long for the new puppy to hold, but again this a temporary phase,
and the puppy will eventually be able to hold all night. This happened for us when the pups were 5
months old. After they were 5 months old, we were able to eliminate the 2 am outing, and they were
able to hold for 4 or 5 hours at a time during the day.

I hope this helps any new puppy owner that has maybe never owned a pup before, and doesn't know how to train a puppy, or anyone who has a new puppy and is struggling to train them. At first it's like you are training when the puppies will go, but eventually they will tell you when they need to go out, they will either go to the door, or bark, or whine, my female Blossom will whine, when she wants out, my male Dozer will bark. Another thing to do is take your puppy out before and after they play, as they will always go pee after they have been excited.

Good luck to everyone, and remember this is a temporary phase , your puppy will be trained before
You know it. Enjoy your new baby.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You can also go on the Social Forum under Puppy Club and read about training and biting, and other training advice for pups. Good luck with your new baby, and enjoy. Bulldogs are very good with children and are very loyal family pets, you just have to get through all the puppy stuff, it took mine about 5 months, it's just like a baby.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN..... I moved your Intro thread over here to this forum which is more appropriate for its content. Thanx for joining and I hope you get the help you need and enjoy the site. :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Here is a resource with tons of great info in it for new pups and all ages. Have you ever housebroken a pup before? They are like skin kids..neither just figure it out on their own. And no..you never get mad at them. It's your job to train them. They are just babies.

Yes..puppies bite...hard! They are puppies! Never hit them or be mean. Redirect and provide safe chew toys. Please read all the wonderful info on this site..you and your pup will be so much happier!!

Heres the link..
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/tpuppy.html

Hstead

Nov 14, 2012
Ironton OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Spielman (RIP) Bolt
Well you are off to a good start right off of the bat and did the most important thing first, you attached a picture of your pup. People get really angry around here if you do not post pictures of puppies.

Now, for the biting, all of the above are right on, she will grow out of it if you teach her it is unacceptable. Teaching unacceptable behavior does not mean mistreatment, but voice commands and hand gestures etc so she gets the point that you are disappointed in her.

Peeing- start early, crate training works best. We trained our 7 week old in about two weeks. The key is to take her out almost hourly at first to make sure she is always going outside. She will find her favorite spots, and you want that to be outside not in the house. If she finds her favorite spots outside, she will learn faster, but if she goes to the same spots in the house, it will take much longer. Peeing in the house is more of an owner problem than a dog problem most of the time. You have to be diligent the first week or two and get her outside often, she will pick it up quick.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
:welcome: to EBN ... you got a lot of good information above but I still wanted to say hello :) your little booba is Adore-A-Bull!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=8373]booba[/MENTION] Welcome to the site, and you have some great advise above. The most important thing to do is be very patient with your pup. Don't let your kids play too rough with your pup as he is still a baby and can be hurt easily. Here is a good letter to read from your pup.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?543-I-Am-Your-Puppy

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
HOLY CUTENESS OVERLOAD................. he is so wrinkly and look at that puppy stink eye! WOW... love his ears too.

:welcome3:
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION].... floppy ears!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.