Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I just want to welcome you to the site, and hope you find your perfect bully baby.

I totally agree with all the great advice from bulldogs4me. We also bought 36 in crates for our two, and used the divider at first, then removed it after they were potty trained. For food we feed our guys Fromms Beef Frittata kibble in the morning, and home cooked in the evenings, but a lot of people on here feed raw to their babies, and you can find lots of information about feeding raw in the forums. We also give our guys unsweetened plain yogurt every other day in their morning kibble, salmon oil everyday in their food, and apple cider vinegar in their drinking water everyday, and for treats we give them cut up apples, banana, strawberries, cottage cheese, cheese strings, shredded carrots, and a hard boiled egg once a week. As for toys, we found out the hard way, that we can only give hard toys like Kong to our babies, as they chew anything that is soft, they can't have blankets, or crate pads in the crate, as thy chew and eat them, and no tennis balls, they eat the fuzz, and no stuffed toys, because they will eat them. We only give them large Kong toys such as the tires, bones, and balls, plus we give them Nylabones, and these are only when supervised. As for collars, we only use a collar if we are going on a short walk, or in the car to Petsmart. Otherwise we us a harness for longer walks. Hope this helps, and good luck finding your bully, looking forward to pictures and stories of your new baby when you get her. Have you thought of any names yet. There is also a thread with name suggestions for female bulldogs

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN!!! Looks like you are getting lots of help so I'll just say, Thanx for joining! :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
You're getting great advice by experts, I just wanted to 'Welcome You!' & ask
about your call name, lol EBN is the best site for advice & wonderful people!

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
I plan on getting a little girl, and Im looking at all the Bulldog standerds, but it dosent say how tall they are, and Im left wondering what size crate do I get lol
Im also wondering what sort of food and toys to get her. I was planning on feeding raw, but I dont have the freezer space. We have one of those fridges with the tiny freezer in the top. So Im looking for the next best thing.
And with toys, Im assuming they can be big chewers. My sister owns Bull terriers, and she had a few recomendations lol
Oh, and collars. Any specific kinds? They kinda look like they would be able to slip out easily so Im curiouse lol

When we started, we got Winston the 36" crate too. Our boy is quite the monster, so we had to upgrade to a 46" crate just so he could turn around. His old crate got recycled into an indestructible toybox that he can walk into. (Petsmart Black Friday sale, we got it for under $50. The only time I've ever gone shopping on Black Friday, so of course it was for my Bulldog!)

As for food, we just changed Winsty over to the Blue Wilderness Basics, which is a grain-free food. He's doing much better on it than on the Royal Canin Bulldog formula. However, the food of choice for the EBN kibble feeders is Fromm's Beef Fritatta. If you own your own home, you might even think about purchasing a chest freezer to store food for your dog. Feeding raw is probably the best you could do for your new puppy. I wish I were brave enough to try it. In the articles section of our forum you will find both a dogfood ratings article, and some about raw feeding as well.

Two of Winsty's favorite toys are of course a Nylabone. The one he loves is white, and instead of being shaped like a cartoon bone, it's more realistic. He takes that thing outside with him when it is time to go potty, even! Crazy dog. His other beloved toy is new. We picked up a Chuck-it! ball last time we went to the petstore, and he loves it just as much. It's soft enough for him to grip in his mouth to pick it up, but sturdy enough that he hasn't chewed it apart at all. It has a few punctures, but I'm very pleased with how it is holding up.

Winston doesn't wear collars any more, and hasn't since he was about a year old. When we go outside he wears his Kong Harness. They are far better since the pressure goes against his chest, rather than his delicate (if anything about a bulldog is delicate) throat. We just attached his tags to the loop where the leash attaches, and we are good to go! He's learned how to step through so well I have to look now to see if he's done it.

So, :smileywelcome: to EBN! Hopefully you will pick your new puppy out soon, and will share her pictures with us so we can all ooh and awww over her together. :D

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Oh toys... I have yet to find one Tonka cannot destroy. All kongs- destroyed, even black ones. Rope toys, huge ones- gone. Tuff toys that rate their stuff on a 1-10 scale, 10 being the toughest- 10 is currently working on being shredded. The next toy I have my eye one is a big tire and is actually made out of tire, it looks promising lol. Nylabones have held up well... Well the hard plastic ones but Tonka doesn't like hard plastic, oh no, he likes more rubbery stuff, which gets shredded, so yes the hard ones have held up but he doesn't go all zombie apocalypse on them.
As for Antlers, he LOVES them right now (he goes through stages) and yes they are expensive but they do last quite a LONG time. For a puppy get the split ones and as you notice they disappear faster get the whole ones and they will last.
Tonka has a 36" crate which he has stopped using since i took down his crate/xpen combo i used when he was a puppy and still potty training and chewing while we were at work. Right now he would fit in it but I would feel bad closing the door and locking him there as I feel it wouldn't be enough room. I would go to the 42" at least for him now if he used it, but he is 60lbs at 1 yr old and still growing... He's a big boy. Anywho, this is all just how we have adjusted as Tonka grows! You will find out your babys quirks when the time comes! Have fun, bullies are great!

Here is a pic of his crate/xpen setup. Was the biggest lifesaver when he was little. I had a fake patch of grass for potty and he had room to play/ move/eat/drink and his little house so I didn't feel so bad at work and he was safe! It also helped in that as he got bigger the space got too small for him to want to use the potty patch, he didn't want to potty in his space. One day he stopped using it and he has been able to hold it until we come home from work since!

7esa3e7u.jpg

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
:welcome: to EBN

We use the 42" crate.

Food .... if you can't do raw but would like to try something else try out this new forum we just introduced. Home cooking is becoming increasingly popular so this might give you some ideas too :up:
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/home-cooking-english-bulldogs/

Toys .... nylabones, kongs and deer/elk antlers

Collars ... purely decorational so I get mine from Etsy because there are so many unique ones on there. For walking or going anywhere always use a harness!!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I agree....harness for walking. I made the mistake of taking my well mannered bulldog to the vet in a collar. He put on the breaks and I kept walking. Realized I was walking a collar with no bulldog. Vegas...luckily didn't run from me, rather trotted back to the car. Since then.....never anywhere with a collar. Orion would choke herself with a collar and lead. She is an bossy girl and often has to be corrected. Heck, often I have to pick her up using the harness back as a handle. (Luckily she is small enough that she weighs next to nothing)

Some people are against crates...but not me! Crating Vegas and O during the day ensures their safety. I have a camera on them and have several members who check in on them for me ( Vegas has epilepsy :heart: )

Elk antlers are a saving grace for us right now....as is the "everlasting fun ball". We are having more in depth issues with Vegas right now and putting frozen green beans inside the ball provides entertainment for him. He's had one for over 4 years and not a single mark on it. The large ball is one we use and he can get it into his mouth and bite on it, bounce it....it's great. Orion is too little to fit the ball in her mouth...but she enjoys it also. Kong toys have (for the most part) been the ones that survive the best. Neither do well with stuffed toys....except O does have a child's teddy bear that she loves to suck on. Orion also has a skateboard that she loves.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3: On the question of Salmon oil. We tried that with HRH and she showed signs of being allergic to Salmon. We do give her a fish oil pill with her breakfast though, so she seems to do fine with that.

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Thanks guys for all the great information. I may have a baby, but there are a few things that I'm waiting to see before I can tell the breeder yes, so wish me luck. I promis I will post pics as soon as Im able, I am warning you al though, I am taking a digital photography class, so I will be posting a ton of pics lol
She will probably be the subject for many of my asignments lol Bulldogs have to be the most photogenic breed anyways lol
Kepp the advice coming and sent me well wishes.......Oh so nervouse

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
I have another question, whats a good harness to use as her first one. Things just seem to be falling into place with this. Keep the good thoughts comeing =)

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Don't know if any of you have seen my other post, but I'm getting my baby. So excited :)

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
You will go through a few harnesses, bullies grow fast :-) Glad you found us before you got your little girl, being prepared always helps. We feed Bacon Fromm Beef Frittata and he gets a few pumps of salmon oil in it. He loves nylabones and antlers. The antlers are expensive but we've had the same one for over a year and he's still working on it, so they last.

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonka started in just a plain simple harness, then to the ezydog chest plate harness, then to the Ezydog Convert harness, which I love. It fits the awkward bully shape, looks awesome, super easy on and off, grows across the chest and around the belly and had a handy handle! Lol but its 80-100 bucks with shipping so I waited until Tonka was about 6 months and got the Large which just fit him as small as it would go and at 13 months and 60 lbs now, still has room to go!

Here are some harness progression pics lol.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361410411.609316.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361410440.986647.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361410487.911459.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online