Newbie here, with alot of questions lol

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Hi, Im new, and I dont have a bulldog yet, I am in the process of talking to a couple breeders, so keep your fingers crossed :2thumbs:
Any ways, Im 28, I have a nine year old little boy. We have two cats, Minnion, or Minnie as we call her, and Herbert, or Herbie. And While I own a Toy Poodle named Kira, my boyfriend has taken her lol. I say he has kidnapped her lol But Im not really angry, since I belive she was ment to be his. You know that bond that you have with that one special dog? They have it. So I let her "Stay the night" lol
So, On to the questions lol
I plan on getting a little girl, and Im looking at all the Bulldog standerds, but it dosent say how tall they are, and Im left wondering what size crate do I get lol
Im also wondering what sort of food and toys to get her. I was planning on feeding raw, but I dont have the freezer space. We have one of those fridges with the tiny freezer in the top. So Im looking for the next best thing.
And with toys, Im assuming they can be big chewers. My sister owns Bull terriers, and she had a few recomendations lol
Oh, and collars. Any specific kinds? They kinda look like they would be able to slip out easily so Im curiouse lol
So yeah. Thats what I have so far with the questions, I know I will have more later. I hope they make sence, Im kinda hopped up on cold meds, Ugh lol I look forward to meeting all of you and your bulldogs. Feel free to tell me any thing you think I should need to know, stories about your bulldogs, exsperiences, problems, and how you handled them, and just, well, any thing lol Im so excited and nervous. I have wanted a bulldog for years and years, and feel as though I am finally in the perfect place in life for one.
Thank you again for reading, and hopefully repling :)

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
Hi, Im new, and I dont have a bulldog yet, I am in the process of talking to a couple breeders, so keep your fingers crossed :2thumbs:
Any ways, Im 28, I have a nine year old little boy. We have two cats, Minnion, or Minnie as we call her, and Herbert, or Herbie. And While I own a Toy Poodle named Kira, my boyfriend has taken her lol. I say he has kidnapped her lol But Im not really angry, since I belive she was ment to be his. You know that bond that you have with that one special dog? They have it. So I let her "Stay the night" lol
So, On to the questions lol
I plan on getting a little girl, and Im looking at all the Bulldog standerds, but it dosent say how tall they are, and Im left wondering what size crate do I get lol
Im also wondering what sort of food and toys to get her. I was planning on feeding raw, but I dont have the freezer space. We have one of those fridges with the tiny freezer in the top. So Im looking for the next best thing.
And with toys, Im assuming they can be big chewers. My sister owns Bull terriers, and she had a few recomendations lol
Oh, and collars. Any specific kinds? They kinda look like they would be able to slip out easily so Im curiouse lol
So yeah. Thats what I have so far with the questions, I know I will have more later. I hope they make sence, Im kinda hopped up on cold meds, Ugh lol I look forward to meeting all of you and your bulldogs. Feel free to tell me any thing you think I should need to know, stories about your bulldogs, exsperiences, problems, and how you handled them, and just, well, any thing lol Im so excited and nervous. I have wanted a bulldog for years and years, and feel as though I am finally in the perfect place in life for one.
Thank you again for reading, and hopefully repling :)

Welcome to EBN! !

Take your time and Im sure everyone will be here in a few!!!

There is a great stuff everywhere you click here ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Thank HrsDiva. Im going through alot of the articles from the home page. I just read (And saved to favorites) the one 35 things to have. And it said salmon oil, but I was wondering if coconut oil would work too. I know my sister gives that to her Bullies, one of whom has really bad food allergies.
Thank you again =)

HrsDiva

Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
Thank HrsDiva. Im going through alot of the articles from the home page. I just read (And saved to favorites) the one 35 things to have. And it said salmon oil, but I was wondering if coconut oil would work too. I know my sister gives that to her Bullies, one of whom has really bad food allergies.
Thank you again =)

Yes its great for them.. Their has been a discussion going on in a different thread but i don't know how to link it. But it has good fat in it... Just a teaspoon a day... Greek yogurt is great too...
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION]

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Ok, Thank you =)
I seen what my sisters bull terrier Cesar went through before she got him on a raw diet, and I dont want my baby to have to ever go through that.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Thank you again =)
i believe there is a thread in the bulldog health section of the forum that is discussing that now and there are some older threads i believe that talk about it to. if u put coconut oil in the search it should bring them up also. i have not used it but i believe there are some here that have started using it now so maybe check the threads as to what they say bout it. i use salmon oil and some here use people fish oil also. i think flaxseed oil can be used to.

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Thank you Cowsmom =) I am off to go see what I can find lol

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Hello and :welcome3: to EBN glad you joined ... there is so much information here and wonderful members always willing to help :)

as for your questions:

Crate: I've seen that a lot of people use the 36" wire crate, it has a divider in it so it can divide the space while your puppy is little and expand the space as she grows. both of my bulldogs are on the small side so I use the 30x19x21 Wire Crate and it fits both of mine perfectly.

Food: I feed Fromm Kibble (Game Bird Recipe) and mix it with The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Raw (switch between Force & Embark) There is A LOT of nutrition information here that can lead you in the right direction, good food is a key factor in raising a healthy bulldog :)

Collars: I like to buy collars just mainly for decoration purposes LOL both of my bulldogs can slip a collar in no time flat so its used more as a accessory and when walking I use a harness, if you look at the Carolina Pet Pantry site they have some really nice Dozer's Collars which are made with the bulldog in mind and they are super cute!

Toys: I try to stick with the Jolly Ball Toys, Nylabones and Kong Toys they have proven to be tough and can stand up to some major chewing abuse :lol:

Hope you find your perfect little family member soon and can't wait to see lots and lots of pictures!!!

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Thanks for the informative post bulldogs4me.
When I got my toy poodle pup I bought what I thought was a big enough crate for her adult size, well I was wrong.....Way wrong lol My sister said in her exsperiance nylabones did not hold up well to vigorus chewing lol She said she will give me a nice sized bone for my new pup. She feeds raw and so during the diffrent hunting seasons she gets a bunch of stuff from hunters, and keeps it in a huge freezer. I was pricing antlers at pet stores and holy cow lol
Im sorry if I went off track. Im falling asleep from cold meds lol

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Thanks for the informative post bulldogs4me.
When I got my toy poodle pup I bought what I thought was a big enough crate for her adult size, well I was wrong.....Way wrong lol My sister said in her exsperiance nylabones did not hold up well to vigorus chewing lol She said she will give me a nice sized bone for my new pup. She feeds raw and so during the diffrent hunting seasons she gets a bunch of stuff from hunters, and keeps it in a huge freezer. I was pricing antlers at pet stores and holy cow lol
Im sorry if I went off track. Im falling asleep from cold meds lol

You're welcome :) I haven't tried the antlers but have heard lots of people talk about them so far all positive. With the Nylabones I have had some that didn't stand the test of time but I've had good results with these: 31689.jpgaction__68152_zoom.jpgbig__11503_zoom.jpgnubs__30288_zoom.jpg I've actually had these in my home for years and they have stood up to several different dogs and are still going strong. But I agree with your sister not all of them hold up.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hiya:

Glad you are learning before you get the Bully! We started with a small crate and then ended up with the 36 inch one. I wanted to carry the small crate around when Jake was brand new. That way he could hang out wherever we were and get used to the crate too. Walmart has great prices and ASPCA approved. Also..a couple great places online to get antlers are Yellowstone Antlers and Grateful Shed. Much much cheaper and great quality.

HrsDiva

Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would look on creigslist maybe a little cheaper then new since you'll need to get another one.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to EBN.... LOTS to learn here so ask all the question you need to.

Crate -- 36 inch or 42 inch will do just fine.

Toys -- Kongs, Nylabones, antlers and others but wait till you know her personality (stuffies either become suckling security blanket or carcass)

Collars.... I prefer metal buckle just for dress up, but my guys rarely have on one. harness mostly

BEST OF LUCK and keep us posted on getting your baby!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.