Soon to be owner!

Sabibine18

Feb 5, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
Hey everyone!

In just a few weeks we'll be welcoming our new boy (first bulldog) Louis (pronounced Loo-wee) home! The dude is adorable, hands down! My husband and I had always wanted a dog but could never really find the time (late night shifts, kids& school) and by the time we'd have anytime, we were exhausted! Of course adding a dog to the family does take effort/ patience and love (which we've got plenty), but the English Bulldog seemed to fit our criteria. What won me over especially was I had a chance encounter with one and FELL IN LOVE. Pete was so well mannered, handsome and just lovable. Unlike any other dog they've really got character! Needless to say, within days, we put a deposit down on Louis. I chose the name for 2 reasons, 1) Because it really suits him, and 2) I couldn't get the theme song to Louis C.K.'s show outta my head. Guess that's how I'll call him? Anyway, I've done a lot a reading and I feel ready however there are a few things I wonder about. If anyone has any tips on the best ways to welcome Louis home and to train him, it'll be most appreciated! Thanks for having me!

Sabine

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Hello and :welcome3: to EBN glad you and Louis joined :) can't wait to see some pictures!!!

@Sabibine18 - When welcoming a pet into your home it is really important, starting from day 1 to set Clear Rules, Boundaries & Limitations and be very Consistent so that Louis knows what is allowed and what is not allowed and what you expect of him ... he will be much happier when it is very clear and consistent!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:welcome3:Hi and welcome to you and Louie. I'm also a new EB owner, and have learned so much from this site, you will love it here. There is so much information on here, the best advice I can give you is to surf and explore under all the forums, and read all the good information and advice. The first place I searched was the food ratings, which is how I found this site, then the puppy club, also you can go to Petsmart and buy a good book on English Bulldogs, for information on the breed, and just ask anyone on here for help and advice, there a lot of great people who will jump in and help you. Congratulations on Louie, and looking forward to lots of pict,ures and stories about Louie.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3: Good luck with Louie when you get him home. The only advice I can give is Give him lots of love and consistency. If you haven't done any formal obedience training that would also be a great idea. Bully's do have wonderful personalities, but it does take some training and getting past the puppy stages to make them behave as you described Pete as behaving.

Hope to see some pics soon too!

PapaSmurf2

Bike riding, bully loving soldier
Jan 21, 2013
Hattiesburg MS
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
:welcome3: to EBN!!! I think the first thing you need is an understanding that you've gotten things backwards....you're not "soon to be owners", you're soon to be owned jk lol. The best advice I can give you is right here.... http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=354-Welcoming-Home-Your-New-Bulldog-Puppy

Along with that is read read read....this community is FULL of great information. Don't stop at the forums, check out the other things EBN has to offer. There are great articles, advice columns, and answers to questions, as well as a great family for support and laughter. Be sure to take advantage of the search feature. You'll get answers to some questions right away if you do a search for them. Fair warning....there is no other puppy like a bully puppy. There are going to be times when you'll shake your head and wonder "What was I thinking?". But the other times make it all worth it. They are loyal, loving, and downright humorous. You'll never fall in love with a fur baby the same as you will with a Bully.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN... Everything you need to know is here on EBN. No, really, I'm not kidding! But lots of times your either going to not locate it or you would like personal answers to your questions. That is perfectly ok with us, we know not everyone (including myself) can find things using a 'search'. Just start a new thread in the appropriate forum and a multitude of people will help you.. It is what we do!!! We are glad to have you here and hope you can post pix of your baby soon. Thanx for joining :)

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Get a few days worth of the kibble the breeder has been feeding Louie and if its a good brand than stick to it. If its not, than you'll have a few days worth to transition him to a better kibble. ...

- Crate
- Chew toys (Nylabones are the best)
- Baby wipes
- Find a good Bully vet. dont just settle for the closet vet in your area ...

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I've been trying to teach Blue (my almost 10 week old) the "come here" command for the last week. For the most part, it only works when I have a treat in my hand. Bulldogs are very food motivated. So for teaching basic commands, find him some healthy treats and always have them on you.

Nylabone toys have saved my fingers on a few occasions. I find my pup jumps on anything that moves, so to distract him (unless he's in psycho puppy mode), I slowly move around the bone and he just pounces on it instead of me (usually) :D.

Oh, and Congrats on your new pup! Pictures are a must here!!

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Congrats on the pup. I would get an antifungal shampoo, an ear wash solution(start as early as possible) duchess is almost 11 months and ear cleaning is still a battle, tooth paste/brush, duoxo pads for cleaning rolls, paws and anything else that might get yeasty, nail clippers those puppy claws hurt! Witch hazel and peroxide. Witch hazel is good for cleanings ears and peroxide will kill yeast. Also listerine! I recommend this to everyone it will curb biting an chewing. When he bites and chews on things he's not suppose to. Rub listerine on what he's not suppose to chew then in his mouth tell him no and redirect with a toy. I learned this in puppy class and it worked within a week. Also consider looking into training classes these are good for socializing and lay a good foundation of basic training.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and :welcome3: to EBN !! LOVE the name and Louie CK.. he is a great comedian

Best of luck and look forward to pictures of your new baby!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Looks like you got all the advice you need, just wanted to say welcome to EBN..........ohh and if nobody mentioned it stock up on peroxide and band-aides little bully's have shark teeth :2thumbs:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.