New & excited OEB owner

bboop40

Dec 12, 2012
Wesley Chapel, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo
:DMy name is Betty (husband Jon), we have the newest joy in our life Cleo. She is such a character, she has brought us a great deal of happiness in just the few months we've had her. Sometimes at my work things can get very sad and she has kept depression from slipping in to my life. I have lots of questions and am reading as much as I can. My biggest thing is Cleo has had a UTI for 3 months, there is always some reason it is not cleared up. So my next thing is I need a real vet! One that can help with this problem and not keep guessing while costing me an obsorbinate amount of money for the same problem. Plus 3 months worth of antibiotics, not good. Any advise or recommendations will be greatly appreciated. I want to take her to the dog park and since she still doesn't have all her shots I cannot.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hiya: Again! So glad you did an intro,,ive not had the UTI experience but lots here have. Hold on I'm sure they'll find this. But..you are right about it being 3 months..time for a good Bully vet. I know it's soooo hard not to take them out and about..but just remember..you are doing what's right and protecting your Cleo! So glad you found us! :)

PapaSmurf2

Bike riding, bully loving soldier
Jan 21, 2013
Hattiesburg MS
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
Welcome to the family!!!! I'm sure help will be here soon....oh.....and pictures......lots of pictures......PLEASE!!!!!

:welcome:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Welcome to you and Cleo! We love pictures here!!!

The only experience I've had with UTI is in a rescue Red Heeler. It took months to get her over it--like 3 or 4 months anyway!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Are you taking her back as soon as she has finished with a course of antibiotics to the vet and having her urine tested again?

Example: 10 days of antibiotics, 11th day (urinalysis)

If urine still contains ANY bad bacteria, repeat above steps.

Ask your vet for a human prescription, it will save you a ton of $$$$.

This is what I did with Khloe, first we did cephalexin, then her urine came back not clear. Then I asked for Baytril, which is high powered. 10 day coarse. Almost all clear but still traces of bacteria. Well at this point I asked for a script because we had already spent $300-$400. So they prescribed her Cipro 7 days. Was like $15 or less.

It is highly important to get the urine check immediately. Do not wait 2 weeks for it to come back, then you have to start all over again.

There is also other things to add to help clear and prevent future occurrences. Cranberry pills, lots of fluids, (I gave watermelon as treats too), add water to her food, Ice cubes, ect.

I also used a supplement let me find the link and ill give it to you. Khloe was brought to me gushing red blood like she was in heat her UTI was so bad. :(.

My vet explained UTI like this. The bacteria reproduces quickly, so even if they seem better, they probably are not. It is important not to miss any doses of the antibiotics, and to finish every last pill. If even just two bacteria are left behind, they will regrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] has given you some excellent advise and hope your baby gets better soon. Having a good bully vet is very important, as all vets may not understand the breed as they should.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I can't add to the great advice desertskybulldogs has given you on UTIs. Bella had one when she was in heat, but that luckily cleared up quite fast with just one coarse of antibiotics!!

She does seem to squat down quite low when she pees though which I think could be a problem in the future so I'm giving her the cranberry pills too just in case.

Now where are those pics ..............????? :pics:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Welcome here, sorry your baby has a nasty UTI...with all these antibiotics
you want to replace the GOOD bacteria so give a TBSP of plain, Greek yogurt
on top of her food 1 x daily or as a treat apart. Let's see that pretty girl!

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Hello,

My girl had a 2 month long uti. From 3months-5months. I'll look into what medications she got. It definately got expensive having to reculture the urine. They have no clue unless they at culturing the urine. I noticed towards the end of the second month of antibiotics that she was drinking ALOT of water. I realized it was due to her kibble. I then switched her to raw and on raw they drink 1/3 the amount of water. I had no issues since & she is now 10 months. The other think that sucked was cause the uti lasted soooo long house training took forever. Good luck hopefully it clears up soon.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3: You already got great advice about the UTI's from Lisa, so I'll just add that we also give HRH Cranberry pills with her breakfast every morning. It seems to help stave off any new issues.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.