Olive has a new rescued brother!

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
Oscarporch.jpgOscartongue.jpg3babies.jpgbabies.jpg

Hi Everybody,
Meet Oscar. He is a 1 1/2 year old boy we just rescued. He has really come along in just the few days that we have had him. He was very fearful and timid initially with lots of marking so he has been in a crate much of the time. He is now earning more time out of the crate. He now acts happy and playful and is very affectionate. He clearly has had no training and likely minimal human interaction other than custodial care. He is underweight but appears healthy. He sees our vet tomorrow for his first check-up. We are very pleased with his progress. He now sometimes responds to basic commands and having far fewer accidents.

Nina, our 14 yr old lab basically stays away from him because he is too playful for the grandma. Olive was very playful with him initially but he plays more aggressively than she is used to and he does not know how to be around her without constant rough-housing. He is a very high-energy bully. He is either wanting to play, following her or sniffing her so now the two aren't getting along as well because she is starting to snarl. We separate them immediately when we see behavior that we don't like. HE usually gets put in his crate although sometimes she is crated also. We are establishing ourselves as the pack leaders and we do have a trainer coming into our home this week. There's lots of experience and wisdom in this group and I would appreciate any good advice you can offer us.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Honestly, I believe you have a very good handle on this and I agree with your methods. Congrats on the rescue of a beautiful young healthy male:2thumbs:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
He is certainly a handsome boy! Congratulations! I agree with [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION], it appears you have a handle on what's needed to integrate him into your home. It is just going to take time, consistency and lots of love! I think your well equipped!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Gosh Oscar is gorgeous! My old guy Ace who has since passed also stayed away from Jack, mostly. But then he would go after him and literally try to attack him. Mostly because Jack had so much energy and Ace was getting old, his eyesight was going and he was just protecting himself. You're pack will come to order but it may require some extra watching with Nina. He's so pretty.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Yowzer! I'm in bully love, he certainly is handsome and looks to be in great shape!

Everyone will settle down and settle in, I think you're doing a great job w/them.

Envious Congratulations!
:2thumbs:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Congrats on the new family member!!!! :smileywelcome: to the little guy!! lol

A

Alaskasmom1

Love his coloring. So pretty! Congratulations! Get an airborne every time you see him marking something, then honk it when you see him lift that leg. JK, JK!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Such a cutie and thank you for rescuing!!!

Do you know anything of his background?? Just wondering if his background could be puppy mill given some of the things you have mentioned??

OP
Trod1

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
His background is from a breeder! The story from the rescue is the breeder was deciding what to do with him-keep him for breeding or neuter and he got diarrhea so she had the rescue pick him up. The rescue took him to the vet and changed his diet and he has had no diarrhea since. He seems very healthy except he is quite underweight. His face is big and broad and when he is at the right weight his nice broad chest will fill in. He plays around the clock. I don't think he knows he is supposed to be a lazy bully! it is really difficult for me to crate a dog this energetic but he will not leave Olive alone. They do much together outside because they can run. I have tried separating them in different rooms but he has jumped over my barrier. Any other ideas, I am open :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
First step is making him scared of the doggie gate. LOL I can lean a doggie gate up anywhere and it's like an electric fence with razor wire; no one dares touch it. Both Bea and Bo knocked it over once and that was it; the doggies gates -- all of them -- were officially EVIL and trying to eat them. This has worked in my favor.

There is no shame in separating the two for periods of time. Oliver is going to have to learn to occupy himself -- with a toy or sleep -- and the tireder they get the KOOKIER they get it seems. Bo is that way when his cousin Olivia comes over. He is RELENTLESS. He doesn't see her but once or twice a year and when she shows up, it's as tho she's here JUST FOR HIM TO CHASE. Ollie enjoys it however so it's kind of hard to police with her egging him on like she does.

Maybe now would be a good time to teach "Place"? That's when each dog is to go to his/her blanket/bed and just stay on the blanket/bed regardless of what's going on around them. It would be a great leadership exercise anyway. Pack leader dogs often "herd" their pack places and hold them there as a illustration of their leadership.

Taking him for an extra long daily walk would definitely help. It sure helps Bo. He and I go walk -- vigorously - and then come back and get Bea for the lazy strolly part of the walk. Same leadership rules for both -- just a slower speed with Bea. Maybe you could also look into agility class for Oliver? He could be one of those dogs that just need a job and the mental stimulation that comes from an activity like a "job".

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
Congratulations on your new addition! He is such a pretty fella!

As far as training, I am in the same boat with everyone else - I think you're doing it right.

As far as his energy level goes - remember that he is still a puppy. If you want him to have less energy in the house, perhaps a walk to tucker him out - or some outdoor playtime romping around in the snow/mud/muck. Lots of interactive toys to keep him engaged might help too.

On a side note - who calls a rescue to come and take their bully just because he has diarrhea - and to be a breeder to boot - thank goodness you got him!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online