Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Olive has a new rescued brother!

Bully Bootie Duty Become a 4 Paw Member Trod1's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tina
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Olive, Oscar
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Olive has a new rescued brother!

His background is from a breeder! The story from the rescue is the breeder was deciding what to do with him-keep him for breeding or neuter and he got diarrhea so she had the rescue pick him up. The rescue took him to the vet and changed his diet and he has had no diarrhea since. He seems very healthy except he is quite underweight. His face is big and broad and when he is at the right weight his nice broad chest will fill in. He plays around the clock. I don't think he knows he is supposed to be a lazy bully! it is really difficult for me to crate a dog this energetic but he will not leave Olive alone. They do much together outside because they can run. I have tried separating them in different rooms but he has jumped over my barrier. Any other ideas, I am open
    In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

First step is making him scared of the doggie gate. LOL I can lean a doggie gate up anywhere and it's like an electric fence with razor wire; no one dares touch it. Both Bea and Bo knocked it over once and that was it; the doggies gates -- all of them -- were officially EVIL and trying to eat them. This has worked in my favor.

There is no shame in separating the two for periods of time. Oliver is going to have to learn to occupy himself -- with a toy or sleep -- and the tireder they get the KOOKIER they get it seems. Bo is that way when his cousin Olivia comes over. He is RELENTLESS. He doesn't see her but once or twice a year and when she shows up, it's as tho she's here JUST FOR HIM TO CHASE. Ollie enjoys it however so it's kind of hard to police with her egging him on like she does.

Maybe now would be a good time to teach "Place"? That's when each dog is to go to his/her blanket/bed and just stay on the blanket/bed regardless of what's going on around them. It would be a great leadership exercise anyway. Pack leader dogs often "herd" their pack places and hold them there as a illustration of their leadership.

Taking him for an extra long daily walk would definitely help. It sure helps Bo. He and I go walk -- vigorously - and then come back and get Bea for the lazy strolly part of the walk. Same leadership rules for both -- just a slower speed with Bea. Maybe you could also look into agility class for Oliver? He could be one of those dogs that just need a job and the mental stimulation that comes from an activity like a "job".

Bulldog(s) Names
    Pan Cake
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations on your new addition! He is such a pretty fella!

As far as training, I am in the same boat with everyone else - I think you're doing it right.

As far as his energy level goes - remember that he is still a puppy. If you want him to have less energy in the house, perhaps a walk to tucker him out - or some outdoor playtime romping around in the snow/mud/muck. Lots of interactive toys to keep him engaged might help too.

On a side note - who calls a rescue to come and take their bully just because he has diarrhea - and to be a breeder to boot - thank goodness you got him!
    If you canít adopt Ė foster.
    If you canít foster Ė sponsor.
    If you canít sponsor Ė volunteer.
    If you canít volunteer Ė donate.
    If you canít donate Ė educate, network, and crosspost.
    EVERYONE can do something large or small, to help save a life.

Bully Bootie Duty Become a 4 Paw Member Trod1's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tina
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Olive, Oscar
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPanAndWendy View Post
    Congratulations on your new addition! He is such a pretty fella!

As far as training, I am in the same boat with everyone else - I think you're doing it right.

As far as his energy level goes - remember that he is still a puppy. If you want him to have less energy in the house, perhaps a walk to tucker him out - or some outdoor playtime romping around in the snow/mud/muck. Lots of interactive toys to keep him engaged might help too.

On a side note - who calls a rescue to come and take their bully just because he has diarrhea - and to be a breeder to boot - thank goodness you got him!
    I know. The thought that he was so easily given up makes me sick. I think he was in a kennel all the time. He has had NO training. When we first got him all he did was cower and crouch. He has now advanced to lots of jumping-which we are really working with him on. He is getting lots of exercise. We have him outdoors playing several times a day and he is learning to walk on a leash but he is like the energizer bunny. Maybe some of it is anxiety, time will tell.
    In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for giving him a new loving home!! he is gorgeous and you have a great plan to get him settled in! Good luck with everything
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Congrats on your new rescue he is an extremely handsome bully!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads