Worried about my rescue EB!

DanaSueBull

Jan 26, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock Bull
I rescued an EB yesterday and don't know a whole lot about them except the medical problems they tend to have. I am a little worried bc he came from a house of 7 small kids. His owners house burned down in November and they had to move to an apartment and they said he has been unhappy every since the move. They re-homed him so that he could have a yard and a family that can pay attention to him more than they could..so it was us! YAAAAY! He is precious but I don't know anything about bulldogs personality or what they could possibly need or be thinking. I had a Boston Terrier for 13 yrs and lost her on Christmas Eve. Also, when I picked up his stuff, she didn't offer the rest of his food, toys, only a top layer (like a cover) of a bed, a chew bone, and bowls. I fear he was a very unhappy dog and want to make him happy but I just don't know what he may need or want. Sorry to ramble, I just want to treat him right and him be happy!!! :)

ScottFree00

Dec 13, 2012
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I think you're well on the way to making him happy. How old is he? Pics? I'm on my first bulldog puppy and have learned a lot here already. Good luck!:D:D:D

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

L

Lucy-licious

For now all he needs is cuddles, good food, cuddles, love and did I mention the cuddles :hug:

This is a link to the dog food ratings...choose as good a quality food as you can afford. Most of us avoid chicken and grains as they are common allergens to Bully's.
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=219-Dog-Food-Ratings&

top 5 foods http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content/our-top-5-recommended-dog-food-choices-203/

and another that can help those new to bulldogs http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content/about-english-bulldog-breed-210/

You will be a great pawrent x

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3: Lots of love and structure and good food and more love. Oh and we require lots of pictures. He will show you what he wants.
Even if it's by just a tiny little excited wiggle of his tail. (Thats what HRH does when she is really happy. It's so little that if you aren't looking you can miss it.)
And you'll quickly learn when he's not so happy.
But give him lots of love and he will be happy!

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
What he probably needs the most is a lot of attention, structure, and love. He may be missing his "pack" of children from his old family.

The second best thing you can do for him is feed him a very good bulldog approved food, and healthy snacks, but don't overfeed him. Bulldog digestion is very delicate and too much food can make him have issues with vomiting and diarrhea. Educate yourself on what snacks are good for him, and which things we think might be good snacks but are actually dangerous for dogs like chocolate and grapes. Rawhide chews are an absolute no with bullies. Not only can they choke on them, but they will make them vomit as they expand in their stomachs.

Just talk to him, hug and cuddle him, pet him, and spend time around him. Do whatever you would do around the house, but let him be with you while you're doing it. He is a social animal and probably has missed being part of a pack. You are his pack leader now, and be sure to learn how to be a good one. Get him some good toys to play with. My dog gets nylabones and elk antler to chew on. He's too rough and can destroy a rubber or cloth toy in no time.

It will take time, maybe a month or more, but as he comes around to feeling safe and secure in his new home and feels loved and trusts you the way he should, you will begin to see a different dog. They are so worth it.

Enjoy his companionship, take lots of pictures of him, and join in the insanity here on the forums! Not only is this a great place to learn how to care for all the different bulldog personality types, but it's a lot of fun to share our crazy stories with each other too.

:smileywelcome:

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So happy you took him in and gave him a fur-ever home. You have some great info above, so just love him and have fun. There is nothing like a bully and he will soon steel your heart.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:welcome3: Hi and welcome to EBN, you will find lots of great information, from really great caring bully parents, and you will always find someone who has had the same problem or experience, and who will share it with you. I totally agree with the advice above, just give him time, to adjust to his new home and surroundings, you are new to him, as he is to you, you will soon learn his personality and he will learn to trust you and will bond. He could be missing all the kids, or his home in general, and just needs the time to get used to his new life. Give him lots of love, extra time, TLC, and a good quality food, a lot of people on here feed their bullies Fromms grain free, beef Frittata, but you can go to the forum, and check out the dog food ratings, and see what works for you. He will soon get comfortable in his new home and with you. Good luck, and keep is posted on how Brock is doing.

CHENDERSON

Jan 13, 2013
China Grove, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoe Grace aka Big Sexy
Welcome DanaSueBull. I am in the same boat that you are with our bully, Zoe Grace. She came to our home the end of Dec and we are all learning about each other. As all of them have said previously, lots of love, routine and more love and be prepared for lots of sloppy kisses and goofiness!!

Tank1023

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Sausage
Congrats! You just rescued the most lovable breeds there is. They are big lovable laps dogs that can be very stubborn. All my boys love kisses and a good scratch on the back side.
There is great advice here but one thing in not sure if I saw was make sure you switch his food over slowly if not this can cause loose stools.
Find out what the other owners fed him the. Get his a good food (I use Fromm) and gradually switch him over in a two week period of time.
keep us posted and good luck!

Oh..don't forget bullies have very strong jaws so good stout toys.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to EBN and the wonderful world of bulldogs! You have great advice above.... Great food, structure and lots and lots and lots of lovin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my congrats to you on your new bully and giving him a home. youve gotten good advice so ill just say :welcome: to ebn look forward to pictures. :2thumbs:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well we do first need pictures! :) he sounds very lucky to have found you and ditto in return. Sorry to hear about your Boston. :( they r such cute pups, would love to see pics. Lets see, what r bulldogs like.... They love to be touching you. If I sit they r usually right there to snuggle into your side or lap. They love food and r stubborn as all heck. Lol welcome to the EBN family!!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Looks like you got all the advice you need, just wanted to say :smileywelcome: to EBN, hope you enjoy the site, and if you have any questions at all please don't hesitate to ask.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.