New to the family, Nismo.

Largekid

Jan 22, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Nismo
I recently picked up a 1yr old male bully from a owner giving her up. He was going to be in a kennel 12+hrs each day so now he is with us. I grew up around a bully with my aunt owning one, but actually having one myself is a whole new game haha.

I have a couple starter questions too. What is everyones opinions on changing a dogs name for his new home? Prev owner called him bert, i want him to be named nismo.

Also, i have fed him 2 diff kinds of rawhides. A "live" pork bone. Also a combo rawhide from petsmart. Both he enjoyed very much. Then enjoyed putting them back on my floor from his stomach. The live one was true vomit. The other was a foamy mess, maybe even a mix of rawhide and slobber. Common? Switch bone types?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359165253.448653.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359165266.963314.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359165278.101308.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359165294.016262.jpg

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
No rawhides at all they can choke to death or he can get an obstruction from them, which can be very costly alone deadly I have been using either deer or elk,antlerlove them and they last forever welcome by the way and your bullie is adorabull

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
:welcome: glad you joined us new mommy!!

Yep raw hides are very dangerous and they can easily choke or swallow it whole :eek:

Antlers are a great choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Dogs live in the moment. Associate treats with saying "Nismo" and he'll move right on to the new name, pronto.

Thank you for adopting, by the way. :heart:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
:welcome: to EBN!!!

I agree!! NO RAWHIDES!! They are so dangerous. : no:

I work for a rescue and when we get a bully in we have sometimes changed their names. Or when they get adopted their new parents change it. It's never been a problem!!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3: You should be able to change his name easily. We didn't change Gracie's when we got her but we call her all sorts of things and she comes (when she wants to) to all of them. It's more about tone of voice and like [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] said incentive ;)

We learned Early on that no rawhides, or greenies or any of that sort of bone was a good idea. Way too many bullies end up with obstruction from those sorts of things too. Get him some BIG nylabones or similar hard rubber toys that he can chew on but not swallow. That will help keep his teeth clean too.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yeah rawhide s r very dangerous. Only thing my pups chew r nylabones and antlers. Name change sent a problem, figure rescues ave to make up names all the time. They will come to whatever you call them really. Welcome to the EBN family!! :)

luis323

Jan 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Chanel
I recently picked up a 1yr old male bully from a owner giving her up. He was going to be in a kennel 12+hrs each day so now he is with us. I grew up around a bully with my aunt owning one, but actually having one myself is a whole new game haha.

I have a couple starter questions too. What is everyones opinions on changing a dogs name for his new home? Prev owner called him bert, i want him to be named nismo.

Also, i have fed him 2 diff kinds of rawhides. A "live" pork bone. Also a combo rawhide from petsmart. Both he enjoyed very much. Then enjoyed putting them back on my floor from his stomach. The live one was true vomit. The other was a foamy mess, maybe even a mix of rawhide and slobber. Common? Switch bone types?
View attachment 35965View attachment 35966View attachment 35967View attachment 35968

I have a question. Is the redness or pinkish color around his chin is that normal? or?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and your bully is a handsome boy. Plus as others have said, no rawhides, pig ears or anything like that. Just Nylabones, Kongs and Elk antlers, are good chew choices. Oh and changing his name is no problem. Several of mine have several names and they know all of them and will come to any of them.

Last edited:

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Welcome to EBN, he is a cutie.

you can change his name and he will soon get used to it like others have said.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well hello there and :welcome: to ebn. your baby is a cutie and yes its ok to change the name. sarahs is sometimes red around the mouth. if it doesnt get worse of nothing else comes up it is probably ok. could be some allergies so just keep an eye on it

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to EBN.... as others have said, no rawhide or bully sticks... very dangerous. Use antlers, marrow bones or nylabones all are safe and very enjoyable.
He most likely vomited due to it being too much on his tummy.... as for the name, as Vic stated.... dogs live in the moment and easily adjust to new names

M

mabel lou

The redness on his face could be due to the food he eating but I don't know enough about the foods to be able to explain really what signs to look for as far as not agreeing with him. My girl had a really red face after I brought her home and I changed her over to a different food. I have her on a food now that totally agrees with her and the redness has almost gone away. I use to deal with the red eyes and itching as well and that to has gone away. There are a lot of people on this site that will be able to step in an help you with your questions once they read your post. You came to a great site and you will learn tons about your EBD.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
:smileywelcome: to EBN!!!!! Nismo is a handsome little bully, I think you got all the advice you needed, just wanted to say welcome and enjoy!!!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online