Planning on getting a bully.

Micke

Jan 21, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank or Mamie
So I'm planning on getting myself a bully and I have been in touch with a few breeders.

What I would like to know if it's worth the extra money to get one from a good breeder. What I get in the price except for the dog itself is:
International Vet Passport; Microchip; Vaccinations & FCI Export Pedigree. And I also get to meet the parents of the pup and get me a chance to get to know the breeder which is important to me.

So my question is basically is it worth buying a puppy from a breeder with the knowledge of health issues etc from the parent?

Cheerio!

P.S I am very busy at the moment doing research about bulldogs and I am well aware of how much time/money/care they need. That does not matter I am getting one, I just need to find the right match.

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
I absolutely think that buying from a breeder that is knowledgeable of the breed is worth the extra cost. Here in the states, there are a lot of what are called "Back yard breeders" that are just out to make a quick buck by breeding and selling puppies at a discounted price. That discounted price sounds great, but often times, the breeders are not breeding to improve the health and temperament of the next generation, but instead treating it as supply and demand. They often over breed females and could care less about any issues once they have your money. Finding a reputable breeder is key if you intend on purchasing from a breeder.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
So I'm planning on getting myself a bully and I have been in touch with a few breeders.

What I would like to know if it's worth the extra money to get one from a good breeder. What I get in the price except for the dog itself is:
International Vet Passport; Microchip; Vaccinations & FCI Export Pedigree. And I also get to meet the parents of the pup and get me a chance to get to know the breeder which is important to me.

So my question is basically is it worth buying a puppy from a breeder with the knowledge of health issues etc from the parent?

Cheerio!

P.S I am very busy at the moment doing research about bulldogs and I am well aware of how much time/money/care they need. That does not matter I am getting one, I just need to find the right match.

Im sorry but in your post you say you are doing extensive research and all well aware of the time money and care that goes into bulldogs. If that's the case you wouldn't have to ask the question "is it worth it to buy from a reputable breeder?" just because a breeder is reputable doesn't mean they are going to price gouge. If you are shopping price and that is a big concern maybe a bulldog isn't the right breed for you. A well bred bulldog on average will cost between $2-$3kusd. My girl is healthy and she is 10 months old and I've spent over $2k in vet bills so far and that's for nothing major! My heart goes out to other members on here when I read that they have dogs with murmurs, luxating patellar, bad hips etc & at such a young age.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Hej, you're from Sweden? So am I, I just live in South Africa:) Having a bulldog in your life is one of the most wonderful things, they do however require a lot of attention and care, I would recommend buying from a respected breeder who can show you x-rays of parents hips since hip dysplasia is very common in bulldogs:( You will save lots of money and heartbreak putting time in finding a healthy bullkid:) I know Sweden has good insurances for dogs and I would definitely invest in one knowing vet care in Sweden are insanely expensive. Something else to ask the breeder about is the eyes, bulldogs tend to have a condition where the eye lashes/hair scratches the eye and it will cause lots of pain. One of our bulldogs have had 5 operations trying to sort his issue out and I think now finally we won. Feel free to ask me anything, I'll answer as good as I can:)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As others have said finding a reputable breeder is the most important thing in buying a bully pup. You do not want to buy one from a backyard breeder or definitely not from a puppy mill, who sell them cheap. Like the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for." They should be willing to let you tour their kennel and see the sire and dam, if the sire is one location. People who breed should always try to better the breed each time they breed a female, but unfortunately most people do not and only care about the money and will just breed two bullies together and don't care about the bloodline or genetics of the bullies, and that's why we have so many bullies out there with health and temperament problems.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Both my dogs are adopted. There are tons of amazing bullies in rescues waiting for that one special person who will finally give them their permanent home. So yes, reputable breeders are worth the price of a bulldog. But rescues are worth the price of unconditional love.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I would never buy any kind of dog from anything else than a good breeder. I would also need to know about the parents and see the living conditions of the puppys and the mom. I also strongly advice everybody not to buy puppys cheap, they may end up costing tons in vet bills and heart ache.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
General conciseness says buy from a Good Breeder with references

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3: I can only chime in with more of what everyone has already said. Good luck in your search!

PapaSmurf2

Bike riding, bully loving soldier
Jan 21, 2013
Hattiesburg MS
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
This is our second bully...the first we rescued from a roadside puppy miller (When I say rescued I mean we bought her for an outrages price. She was half starved and chewed all over.) After multiple years of vet bills, knee replacements, and extremely tough times when it came to training her to do even the most basic things (like potty training, eating shoes, etc). That said, we also had many years of love and devotion from her. This time, we took our time, went to multiple breeders, did liniage research, and found a puppy that was bred responsibly for the love of the breed and has a good solid liniage. A good breeder willing to share all of the information with you and not have problems with you doing your own research makes the experience all the more better. We visited Gracie's birthplace multiple times, even before she was born. Sometimes it felt as if the breeder was checking us out to so if we were good enough for her puppy. Take your time, do more research on both the breeder AND the puppy's mom and dad. Ask for references. Pull all of the information together and make an informed decision.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Sometimes it felt as if the breeder was checking us out to so if we were good enough for her puppy.

Yes, that's what a good breeder does. I would also not wan't a puppy from a breeder who doesn't wan't to know where their pups are going....

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
I have just purchased 3 females, that was rescued from a backyard breeder, they are so overbred, no kind human touch, no name, abused. And I only imagine the health issues their puppies will have. In fact, they themselves had puppy mill mothers. My heart breaks and I just want to scream at the people that purchase from a backyard breeder and they think they are getting a GREAT deal, all at the expense of these poor sweet things. And some of these people say, I seen the parents of the puppy. I am sorry, but they seen the ones the breeder wants them to see. There is no way, the breeder would have shown my sweet Annie to the buyers, because of the abused her poor little body shows. They are kept in crates all the time. Imagine spending your life, 4-7 years in a crate. Pushing your own waste around to try and care for your babies. My poor Annie did not know what to do with toys, treats.
But oh, the love and joy these rescue babies give.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Good luck finding the right pup!! Just realize that many health problems are not apparent initially, i.e. allergies, etc. There needs to be some trust between you and the breeder that you are buying a healthy pup with options available if not. Not that one could ever return a pup after 10 months of bonding but maybe the breeder might assist you financially with certain genetic problems. For example, Arnold's breeder who I still contact, stated at the time of purchase ( I flinch at the word, so how about exchange of skin parent) that if he was diagnosed with a genetic problem, cardiac or dysplasia, she would give me money toward correction. I am in contact with both Arnolds and Bertha BAcons breeders and consider them friends and mentors. That should be available to you. so its more than about money, its about relationships as well

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.