Ms.Mona and momma Sonya say Hello from Ontario!

MonasMomma

Jan 9, 2013
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona
msmona.jpgJust wanted to say hello to everyone and quickly introduce ourselves. I am Sonya and my new found love is Mona. We rescued (or what I would consider a rescue) Mona this week from a family who had no time for her anymore.

She is a very VERY sweet almost 4 year old english bully. She has for the most part adapted very well. We have been giving her lots of love, and shown her many new things. I get the feeling that she was never let out of her apt too much as she seems to frighten easily and is amazed with all the new things she has been seeing.

I came across your site today while searching for answers about bully's with their tongues constantly hanging out all the time! My girl is so silly looking...cute as ever with that tongue out. Everyone she meets thinks its adorable. So do I, but I was worried that it wasn't normal, maybe she would get frost bite, a splinter off the wood floor, sometimes I wonder if she will eventually trip over it...she lets it hang down so far sometimes. I came across your poll and read that a lot of bully's do this...so I feel a bit better about that.

I would love tips on helping Mona gain some self esteem. I feel this might be her issue. She doesn't cower away from people or dogs who approach her, but if say, we go to petsmart to buy her a new bed...she will shake continuously. She does this in all new situations...eventually I get her calmed down with some loving...but I don't like seeing her so scared.

I also find it a bit odd that she has NO interest in other dogs. She wont greet them, and doesn't care if they come over to sniff her or whatever. I think she also doesn't know how to play??? As weird as that sounds. She doesn't play ball, has no "baby" or chew toy. I don't think she knows how to play? I will get down on the floor with her and she is happy and wiggles her butt all over...but otherwise she is very reserved. Just a snuggle bunny.

Is this common?? Is there something I can do to help get a little more active and have some fun? I don't expect to go jogging with her obviously...I just want to see her have some fun!

I've rambled enough....but I hope to get to know you all more!

Sonya & Mona

Last edited:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
:smileywelcome: to EBN Sonya! I think it's wonderful that you saved Mona from her former owners. Thank you for doing that for her. I can see how a dog who was not exposed to other dogs or to people, or to society in general would be frightened about these things as you are introducing them to her. They're all new to her. Slowly exposing Mona to her new environment and taking her out in small increments would help. I'm sure others will come along with advice on that. Poor thing sounds like she had a bit of a lonely life.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your girl :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well bless you for taking her in. It sounds like she was never socialized and played with. Poor girl. Just be patient with her and keep showing her love and try to play. We had a girl like that once and it took a long while before she opened up to playing and still then she really didn't know how to but she was catching on. When you take her someplace new and she is scared, just take it slow and keep reassuring her like your doing and she will get better at it. Also welcome to the site and so glad you joined. When you can, please post some pics of her.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Not all bullys play ball or carry stuffies around. Did you give her something to chew on like a nylabone? She might enjoy that. she'll get more comfortable with experience and settling in with you folks. give her time and all the love you have been.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
:welcome3: Sonya and Mona, wow what a little darling you have saved from a lonely life good on you. I am sure as Mona settles into your life will she come out a bit more and play more and I am sure you are showing her all the love you have and she will you in return.
:heart: that she is a Snuggle Bunny because she looks like you want to pick her up and giuve her a big snuggle, Love her little dress.
Hope you enjoy EBN as much as I do, and I look forward to see more pictures of Mona.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Awwwww! How great is this? You will be amazed how quickly she will figure out she is in a good place and loved. We ave a couple here who adopted a former breeder and she was afrid of everything too. I will bet they can assure you. [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION]..[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION]...She is a very lucky Bully and you are soooo lucky too. Love that you joined our family!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
:smileywelcome: I'm going to tag someone who also rescued a bully who didn't know how to play with toys. You are going to love it here, make yourself at home honey. and thanks for saving her from people who had no time for her.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3: Mona is a cutie!

As [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] said, we got HRH when she was almost 4 as a retired breeder. She has been here a little over 2 years now and there have been many changes.
She still shows little interest in other dogs or other people for the most part. She clearly loves us both like crazy, and shows some mild interest in our neighbor. But we think it's because he always rings the doorbell when he comes over and that peeks her interest and gets her to now bark and run to the backdoor like she's greeting him.
She did not play with any toys when we first got her. I did get her interested by introducing a couple squeeky toys and playing fetch with them. At first I was doing all the fetching. Now we play fetch and keep away. She gets very excited now over new toys that make noise. She actually can be quite destructive with them. She greets me excitedly every evening when I come home from work then quickly grabs a toy and tries to play keep away with it.
She is still very fearful in new situations. And loud noises will send her running for cover. She doesn't like to go outside one tiny bit, but will go docilely enough most of the time. Sometimes if we feel she needs to go out we have to resort to carrying her to the door if she doesn't agree though.
She will accept that we are making her do things.
We do take her to social dog meet-ups and Petsmart for socialization because we think she needs some interaction and deviation from the norm, but she doesn't necessarily agree. She acts very excited sometimes when we ask if she wants to go bye bye and once she has her harness on and we go outside she will scurry right to the Jeep and stand there waiting to be put in. But we have learned that it's all about the journey not the destination. Because although she is as docile and sweet as can be at the events, it's very apparent that she can't wait to get back home. She sometimes nervous poo's if we haven't gotten her to go before leaving home.

We know she will always have fears about things. But it's just part of what endears her to us at this point.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
:welcome: Sonya and Mona! She is very pretty!!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN. Ms mona is darling. HRH loves wearing clothes. We have heard that wearing clothes gives them a sense of security and it does appear to with her. Please feel free to join into the forum and other activities of EBN. :)

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
Welcome Ms Mona and Sonya! So glad you found us here at the EBN forums, where someone can help you with any situation Mona can invent. She is simply adorable! I love that little dress, it fits her very well. Mona is a lucky bulldog that you came along to give her love and a safe home. Thank you for that! I'm sure she shows her appreciation every day with her happy butt wiggles and licks and snuggles. :)

While Bulldogs are extremely rewarding to be owned by, they can also make life difficult. I have to agree that it doesn't sound like Mona was socialized very well as a pup, and it seems possible her previous family didn't spend much time with her. The changes to her life seem to be making her insecure. Just go slow and be patient, and in time she'll come around especially if everything is done with love.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Welcome from Eastern Ontario!:)
check out the " social groups" on the site... [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] has created a group and maybe you are in the same area!

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Well look who is the best dressed now! Welcome to BenBen

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
View attachment 34648Just wanted to say hello to everyone and quickly introduce ourselves. I am Sonya and my new found love is Mona. We rescued (or what I would consider a rescue) Mona this week from a family who had no time for her anymore.

She is a very VERY sweet almost 4 year old english bully. She has for the most part adapted very well. We have been giving her lots of love, and shown her many new things. I get the feeling that she was never let out of her apt too much as she seems to frighten easily and is amazed with all the new things she has been seeing.

I came across your site today while searching for answers about bully's with their tongues constantly hanging out all the time! My girl is so silly looking...cute as ever with that tongue out. Everyone she meets thinks its adorable. So do I, but I was worried that it wasn't normal, maybe she would get frost bite, a splinter off the wood floor, sometimes I wonder if she will eventually trip over it...she lets it hang down so far sometimes. I came across your poll and read that a lot of bully's do this...so I feel a bit better about that.

I would love tips on helping Mona gain some self esteem. I feel this might be her issue. She doesn't cower away from people or dogs who approach her, but if say, we go to petsmart to buy her a new bed...she will shake continuously. She does this in all new situations...eventually I get her calmed down with some loving...but I don't like seeing her so scared.

I also find it a bit odd that she has NO interest in other dogs. She wont greet them, and doesn't care if they come over to sniff her or whatever. I think she also doesn't know how to play??? As weird as that sounds. She doesn't play ball, has no "baby" or chew toy. I don't think she knows how to play? I will get down on the floor with her and she is happy and wiggles her butt all over...but otherwise she is very reserved. Just a snuggle bunny.

Is this common?? Is there something I can do to help get a little more active and have some fun? I don't expect to go jogging with her obviously...I just want to see her have some fun!

I've rambled enough....but I hope to get to know you all more!

Sonya & Mona

Oh my gosh!...Mona has the sweetest face I've seen in a long time, just begging to be kissed!

That is an adorable dress she has on and you are an ANGEL for rescuing this precious bully girl.

GOD will rescue YOU accordingly :angelheart:

Your Mona will blossom with your love, patience, understanding & time...I know this because I
rescued my Brutus just 6 months ago from almost the same situation except he had many owners
and just kept getting passed on & on, I'm the 3rd one I know of and got him from a nurse who'd
had him less than a year...off craigslist! It's a wonder he's able to respond to anyone at this point
much less, bond with but such is the magnitude of his great bully heart that he did have more to give
and held nothing back...he saved me.

We hit it off immediately and a month in I was amazed how well he'd adapted but....one day a potty
accident had me upset w/him and then he balked at going outside, impatient, I was pulling him outside
when he grimaced and cowed away from me & showed me teeth. I immediately let him go, shaken up
but his grimace haunted me, then it hit me hard, it had been a look of FEAR. I just sank beside him and
gathered him to me and bawled like a baby. I was so stupid!!! So, I slowed everything way down and
remembered to see things from his viewpoint, his perspective. Like Mona, he had not been socialized or
played with, had no toys, even crated, inside the apt, hours & hours (hence the potty issues but learned,
immediately to go outside) and yes, he was very polite (I get the feeling he got yelled at, a lot & therefore
tried to be quiet & good...no playing or anything. But I wanted to rough house, wrestle around & play!

At 3 months together, we were stuck like glue, Brutus trusted me totally, knew he was safe from harm
and ME, know he could play w/me and not get yelled at (still wasn't too interested in his toys yet) loved to
go places (not so much being there) and his personality was really coming out! At 6 months, we are fully a
team, he plays with me, with his toys and is less nervous at places other than our house.

Once Mona REALLY trusts you then she will show you WHO she is and WHAT she's made of...she's never
been able to do that before, once she feels safe enough to show you, buckle up for the ride of your life!
I would suggest NOT taking her to places just yet maybe for rides and/or to more intimate ventures out
such as friend's or relative's houses and meeting non-aggressive dogs, one-on-one for the next 3 months.
Do basic commands and build your relationship then when you do go out and she's uneasy, she knows YOU
have her back...and that will help. In time, she may not be fearful at all or she may always retain some of it.

You have yourself a diamond in the rough, Congratulations! And...Welcome to EBN, please keep us informed
of your wonderful journey. Again, GOD bless you for saving such a sweet & beautiful Mona!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Welcome! Thank you so much for giving Mona the life she deserves! You have gotten some great advice. She will pay you back ten fold :) Keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.