Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ms.Mona and momma Sonya say Hello from Ontario!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona
    Likes (Received)

Default Ms.Mona and momma Sonya say Hello from Ontario!

-msmona-jpgJust wanted to say hello to everyone and quickly introduce ourselves. I am Sonya and my new found love is Mona. We rescued (or what I would consider a rescue) Mona this week from a family who had no time for her anymore.

She is a very VERY sweet almost 4 year old english bully. She has for the most part adapted very well. We have been giving her lots of love, and shown her many new things. I get the feeling that she was never let out of her apt too much as she seems to frighten easily and is amazed with all the new things she has been seeing.

I came across your site today while searching for answers about bully's with their tongues constantly hanging out all the time! My girl is so silly looking...cute as ever with that tongue out. Everyone she meets thinks its adorable. So do I, but I was worried that it wasn't normal, maybe she would get frost bite, a splinter off the wood floor, sometimes I wonder if she will eventually trip over it...she lets it hang down so far sometimes. I came across your poll and read that a lot of bully's do this...so I feel a bit better about that.

I would love tips on helping Mona gain some self esteem. I feel this might be her issue. She doesn't cower away from people or dogs who approach her, but if say, we go to petsmart to buy her a new bed...she will shake continuously. She does this in all new situations...eventually I get her calmed down with some loving...but I don't like seeing her so scared.

I also find it a bit odd that she has NO interest in other dogs. She wont greet them, and doesn't care if they come over to sniff her or whatever. I think she also doesn't know how to play??? As weird as that sounds. She doesn't play ball, has no "baby" or chew toy. I don't think she knows how to play? I will get down on the floor with her and she is happy and wiggles her butt all over...but otherwise she is very reserved. Just a snuggle bunny.

Is this common?? Is there something I can do to help get a little more active and have some fun? I don't expect to go jogging with her obviously...I just want to see her have some fun!

I've rambled enough....but I hope to get to know you all more!

Sonya & Mona
    Last edited by MonasMomma; 01-09-2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Added Photo

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ms.Mona and momma Sonya say Hello from Ontario!

to EBN Sonya! I think it's wonderful that you saved Mona from her former owners. Thank you for doing that for her. I can see how a dog who was not exposed to other dogs or to people, or to society in general would be frightened about these things as you are introducing them to her. They're all new to her. Slowly exposing Mona to her new environment and taking her out in small increments would help. I'm sure others will come along with advice on that. Poor thing sounds like she had a bit of a lonely life.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your girl

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Well bless you for taking her in. It sounds like she was never socialized and played with. Poor girl. Just be patient with her and keep showing her love and try to play. We had a girl like that once and it took a long while before she opened up to playing and still then she really didn't know how to but she was catching on. When you take her someplace new and she is scared, just take it slow and keep reassuring her like your doing and she will get better at it. Also welcome to the site and so glad you joined. When you can, please post some pics of her.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Dog Groomer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
    Likes (Received)

Not all bullys play ball or carry stuffies around. Did you give her something to chew on like a nylabone? She might enjoy that. she'll get more comfortable with experience and settling in with you folks. give her time and all the love you have been.

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Sonya and Mona, wow what a little darling you have saved from a lonely life good on you. I am sure as Mona settles into your life will she come out a bit more and play more and I am sure you are showing her all the love you have and she will you in return.
    that she is a Snuggle Bunny because she looks like you want to pick her up and giuve her a big snuggle, Love her little dress.
    Hope you enjoy EBN as much as I do, and I look forward to see more pictures of Mona.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Awwwww! How great is this? You will be amazed how quickly she will figure out she is in a good place and loved. We ave a couple here who adopted a former breeder and she was afrid of everything too. I will bet they can assure you. @LariP..@BruceP...She is a very lucky Bully and you are soooo lucky too. Love that you joined our family!

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

I'm going to tag someone who also rescued a bully who didn't know how to play with toys. You are going to love it here, make yourself at home honey. and thanks for saving her from people who had no time for her.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Mona is a cutie!

As @JAKEISGREAT said, we got HRH when she was almost 4 as a retired breeder. She has been here a little over 2 years now and there have been many changes.
    She still shows little interest in other dogs or other people for the most part. She clearly loves us both like crazy, and shows some mild interest in our neighbor. But we think it's because he always rings the doorbell when he comes over and that peeks her interest and gets her to now bark and run to the backdoor like she's greeting him.
    She did not play with any toys when we first got her. I did get her interested by introducing a couple squeeky toys and playing fetch with them. At first I was doing all the fetching. Now we play fetch and keep away. She gets very excited now over new toys that make noise. She actually can be quite destructive with them. She greets me excitedly every evening when I come home from work then quickly grabs a toy and tries to play keep away with it.
    She is still very fearful in new situations. And loud noises will send her running for cover. She doesn't like to go outside one tiny bit, but will go docilely enough most of the time. Sometimes if we feel she needs to go out we have to resort to carrying her to the door if she doesn't agree though.
    She will accept that we are making her do things.
    We do take her to social dog meet-ups and Petsmart for socialization because we think she needs some interaction and deviation from the norm, but she doesn't necessarily agree. She acts very excited sometimes when we ask if she wants to go bye bye and once she has her harness on and we go outside she will scurry right to the Jeep and stand there waiting to be put in. But we have learned that it's all about the journey not the destination. Because although she is as docile and sweet as can be at the events, it's very apparent that she can't wait to get back home. She sometimes nervous poo's if we haven't gotten her to go before leaving home.

We know she will always have fears about things. But it's just part of what endears her to us at this point.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Sonya and Mona! She is very pretty!!!

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

to EBN. Ms mona is darling. HRH loves wearing clothes. We have heard that wearing clothes gives them a sense of security and it does appear to with her. Please feel free to join into the forum and other activities of EBN.

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracy Edwards Thompson
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
    Likes (Received)

Welcome Ms Mona and Sonya! So glad you found us here at the EBN forums, where someone can help you with any situation Mona can invent. She is simply adorable! I love that little dress, it fits her very well. Mona is a lucky bulldog that you came along to give her love and a safe home. Thank you for that! I'm sure she shows her appreciation every day with her happy butt wiggles and licks and snuggles.

While Bulldogs are extremely rewarding to be owned by, they can also make life difficult. I have to agree that it doesn't sound like Mona was socialized very well as a pup, and it seems possible her previous family didn't spend much time with her. The changes to her life seem to be making her insecure. Just go slow and be patient, and in time she'll come around especially if everything is done with love.

Proud Mother of Winston Biscuit since October 30, 2010.

Real Name
    Bree
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Layla and Wilbur
    Likes (Received)

Welcome from Eastern Ontario!
    check out the " social groups" on the site... @Vikinggirl has created a group and maybe you are in the same area!
    My whole world

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads