Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ms.Mona and momma Sonya say Hello from Ontario!

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ms.Mona and momma Sonya say Hello from Ontario!

Well look who is the best dressed now! Welcome to BenBen

I'm a good girl, I promise

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MonasMomma View Post
    Attachment 34648Just wanted to say hello to everyone and quickly introduce ourselves. I am Sonya and my new found love is Mona. We rescued (or what I would consider a rescue) Mona this week from a family who had no time for her anymore.

She is a very VERY sweet almost 4 year old english bully. She has for the most part adapted very well. We have been giving her lots of love, and shown her many new things. I get the feeling that she was never let out of her apt too much as she seems to frighten easily and is amazed with all the new things she has been seeing.

I came across your site today while searching for answers about bully's with their tongues constantly hanging out all the time! My girl is so silly looking...cute as ever with that tongue out. Everyone she meets thinks its adorable. So do I, but I was worried that it wasn't normal, maybe she would get frost bite, a splinter off the wood floor, sometimes I wonder if she will eventually trip over it...she lets it hang down so far sometimes. I came across your poll and read that a lot of bully's do this...so I feel a bit better about that.

I would love tips on helping Mona gain some self esteem. I feel this might be her issue. She doesn't cower away from people or dogs who approach her, but if say, we go to petsmart to buy her a new bed...she will shake continuously. She does this in all new situations...eventually I get her calmed down with some loving...but I don't like seeing her so scared.

I also find it a bit odd that she has NO interest in other dogs. She wont greet them, and doesn't care if they come over to sniff her or whatever. I think she also doesn't know how to play??? As weird as that sounds. She doesn't play ball, has no "baby" or chew toy. I don't think she knows how to play? I will get down on the floor with her and she is happy and wiggles her butt all over...but otherwise she is very reserved. Just a snuggle bunny.

Is this common?? Is there something I can do to help get a little more active and have some fun? I don't expect to go jogging with her obviously...I just want to see her have some fun!

I've rambled enough....but I hope to get to know you all more!

Sonya & Mona

Oh my gosh!...Mona has the sweetest face I've seen in a long time, just begging to be kissed!

That is an adorable dress she has on and you are an ANGEL for rescuing this precious bully girl.

GOD will rescue YOU accordingly

Your Mona will blossom with your love, patience, understanding & time...I know this because I
    rescued my Brutus just 6 months ago from almost the same situation except he had many owners
    and just kept getting passed on & on, I'm the 3rd one I know of and got him from a nurse who'd
    had him less than a year...off craigslist! It's a wonder he's able to respond to anyone at this point
    much less, bond with but such is the magnitude of his great bully heart that he did have more to give
    and held nothing back...he saved me.

We hit it off immediately and a month in I was amazed how well he'd adapted but....one day a potty
    accident had me upset w/him and then he balked at going outside, impatient, I was pulling him outside
    when he grimaced and cowed away from me & showed me teeth. I immediately let him go, shaken up
    but his grimace haunted me, then it hit me hard, it had been a look of FEAR. I just sank beside him and
    gathered him to me and bawled like a baby. I was so stupid!!! So, I slowed everything way down and
    remembered to see things from his viewpoint, his perspective. Like Mona, he had not been socialized or
    played with, had no toys, even crated, inside the apt, hours & hours (hence the potty issues but learned,
    immediately to go outside) and yes, he was very polite (I get the feeling he got yelled at, a lot & therefore
    tried to be quiet & good...no playing or anything. But I wanted to rough house, wrestle around & play!

At 3 months together, we were stuck like glue, Brutus trusted me totally, knew he was safe from harm
    and ME, know he could play w/me and not get yelled at (still wasn't too interested in his toys yet) loved to
    go places (not so much being there) and his personality was really coming out! At 6 months, we are fully a
    team, he plays with me, with his toys and is less nervous at places other than our house.

Once Mona REALLY trusts you then she will show you WHO she is and WHAT she's made of...she's never
    been able to do that before, once she feels safe enough to show you, buckle up for the ride of your life!
    I would suggest NOT taking her to places just yet maybe for rides and/or to more intimate ventures out
    such as friend's or relative's houses and meeting non-aggressive dogs, one-on-one for the next 3 months.
    Do basic commands and build your relationship then when you do go out and she's uneasy, she knows YOU
    have her back...and that will help. In time, she may not be fearful at all or she may always retain some of it.

You have yourself a diamond in the rough, Congratulations! And...Welcome to EBN, please keep us informed
    of your wonderful journey. Again, GOD bless you for saving such a sweet & beautiful Mona!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome! Thank you so much for giving Mona the life she deserves! You have gotten some great advice. She will pay you back ten fold Keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Real Name
    Lucie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Liz and Amy
    Likes (Received)

Welcome and congratulations on being adopted by Mona, lol. Liz and Amy are both around 1 1/2. Liz loves toys and loves to play, Amy does not and never has. She will playvwith Liz and sometimes pick up a toy. But she will not play for any length of time at all. They are all different.
    Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend. ~Corey Ford

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Hi Sonya to EBN, glad you and Mona joined, she is a very pretty girl!!
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi Sonya and Mona, welcome to the site of everything Bully. You will absolutely love it here, I joined in Oct 2012 also by researching about Dogfood Nutrition, and found it by accident, and now it's like I live on here. Lol. It used to be Facebook, but now I've hardly been on FB and spend a lot of my free time on EBN. You'll find a lot of information and a lot of helpful people to answer your questions. I have 2 EB pups, they are 10 months old and brother and sister from the same litter, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. Where a outs are you in Toronto? I live in Mississauga. There is a Bulldog Meetup Group, that meets every month or two for Bulldog socializing at different parks and venues. There is one coming up in February at High Park. If you close to the area, you should come out, and maybe we'll meet you there. My name is Monica, and I go by the name Vikinggirl on this site. I look forears to seeing lots of pictures of Mona, and reading about her stories. She will come around with patience and love, maybe she just needs a little time and some socialization with some other Bully friends. And the tongue thing is definetely normal, my Dozer constantly has his tongue out, and it gets all dried out .lol

here is a picture of my guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg   -image-jpg   -image-jpg   -image-jpg   -image-jpg   -image-jpg  

LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

AWW what a great story, bless you for rescuing that sweet girl. I think you got all the advice you need I just wanted to say welcome to EBN.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for your thoughts and input. This sounds just like my Mona. She was never used for breeding, however I am her 3rd (AND LAST) owner. Just laying eyes on her, I knew I would never be able to part with her, and I honestly can't quite understand how her previous owners handled being able to pass her off like that. I have a hard enough time just leaving for work each morning, and if I didn't own a restaurant....I would bring her to work with me every single day!

Her first visit to Petsmart resulted in her standing ground that she was NOT going through the doors. I carried her. ( I didn't realize she was as nervous as she is, and just chalked it up to the change and her not seeing me as her new owner(I dont like this word.....), obviously understandable.

Her second visit was 2 days later to see about getting her extremely long nails trimmed. Same thing. Refused to go in....so I carried her. We had to make an apt and come back with vet papers...so we went back later that day. She owned it. She walked in all by herself with no issues. She was nervous going with the groomer but I think she really enjoyed her full spa package, and the groomers said she did amazing. (yes I waited the full two hours JUST incase something went wrong)

When she came out of the groomers, her look and behavior was priceless! She walked out like such a Diva! She was sooo happy. And marched right out that door like she owned the place. Now my guess is she will look forward to the petsmart visit!

She is still a little nervous with sounds, but has started to bond with the kids and follows me everywhere. She has been good on walks, although stops often because the buses seem to be interesting to her when they drive by.

You mentioned about how HRH will wait at the jeep. I assume this is normal then? Mona loves to go for car rides, but won't get in or out herself. I wasn't sure if she was being stubborn, or just couldnt actually manage to get up that high-although, she does manage to hop her butt up on my couch when she wants to sit with me. lol

Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi Sonya and Mona, welcome to the site of everything Bully. You will absolutely love it here, I joined in Oct 2012 also by researching about Dogfood Nutrition, and found it by accident, and now it's like I live on here. Lol. It used to be Facebook, but now I've hardly been on FB and spend a lot of my free time on EBN. You'll find a lot of information and a lot of helpful people to answer your questions. I have 2 EB pups, they are 10 months old and brother and sister from the same litter, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. Where a outs are you in Toronto? I live in Mississauga. There is a Bulldog Meetup Group, that meets every month or two for Bulldog socializing at different parks and venues. There is one coming up in February at High Park. If you close to the area, you should come out, and maybe we'll meet you there. My name is Monica, and I go by the name Vikinggirl on this site. I look forears to seeing lots of pictures of Mona, and reading about her stories. She will come around with patience and love, maybe she just needs a little time and some socialization with some other Bully friends. And the tongue thing is definetely normal, my Dozer constantly has his tongue out, and it gets all dried out .lol

here is a picture of my guys
    Hi Monica,
    Nice to meet you and your cute bullies!

We are close to that area. We are close to Bathurst and St.Clair so getting to High Park isn't an issue at all. I'll look for more information about this, we would love to meet other bulldogs and friends!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MonasMomma View Post
    Hi Monica,
    Nice to meet you and your cute bullies!

We are close to that area. We are close to Bathurst and St.Clair so getting to High Park isn't an issue at all. I'll look for more information about this, we would love to meet other bulldogs and friends!

Thanks for the warm welcome.
    hi! i'm at Dupont and spadina!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aprilemari View Post
    hi! i'm at Dupont and spadina!

Hi , aprilemari and Lola, welcome. Will you be going to the Bully Meetup at High Park in February? If you can make it it would be great to meet you and Lola
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

yeah we are going to try and make it, we've missed the past few..last one we went to was at the waterfront

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads