Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New to the Forum

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post

As everyone stated above the first thing to look at is going to be the food. All the foods you mentioned that you have tried are all really REALLY bad foods. You did mention you tried a grain free and saw an improvement, but how long did you try it? To see the TRUE value of a food they need to be on it for 30 days or more.

Check out the dog food ratings here at EBN, I used to feed Iams too, it took a bad skin infection for me to finally take the plunge. We tried shampoos, 3 weeks of antibiotics, all kinds of stuff!!....... and she did not get any better.

Switched her food and she was a whole new bully in a week. I became a believer. Results will vary however, depending on what is causing the low immune system response. If the infection is bad, antibiotics and/or steriod will still be needed to get it under control.

I also suggest finding a new vet.

I could not agree more with what is stated here ^^^^^.

Welcome to EBN and keep us posted on your progess.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

....... EVERYTHING you mention that is going wrong for your bully just seems to come down to food. I am guilty of being a Beneful feeder until I found this site, and spent a small fortune at the vets for constant yeasty ear infections and upset stomachs!!!

Go through the dog food ratings list and find all the foods you have mentioned that you've tried. You'll see how low down they are on the list!!
    http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...g-Food-Ratings

As soon as you find the right food for your bully then all those smells and itchiness will just disappear. You may not even see a vet until it's time for their yearly vaccinations.

Yes, I know all these foods are expensive but you generally will feed less than the recommended amount on the bag because it's good nutritious food and you don't need as much. Also, think of how many of these $50 vet charges you are currently paying ... a good food is going to work out a lot less than that in the long term!!

When it comes to smelly bullies I'm going to tag @KMARINO and she can tell you just how awful her Vegas used to stink until she switched foods!!!

As for your pug ... I'm thinking he could be smelling because his bedtime friend is smelly ... and not because he has suddenly got the same problems.

Just make sure that once you've had a good look on the food ratings list that you stick with one for a good 30 days so that the old food is truly out of his system If you like the look of a food and cant' find a store that sells it then look into Petflow. They will deliver to your door and are incredibly competitive in their prices!!

Then make sure you transition slowly on to a new food. I always take about 10 days to do it. I replace a 1/4 cup of the old food with the new one, and then every three days increase it by another 1/4 cup until I'm fully on the new food.

Here are some stories by other members of the wonders of finally finding that right food!!! http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...e-Testimonials

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

I just wanted to say welcome to EBN, I'm glad you found us and hopefully we can help get Tank feeling a little better. You have gotten great advice so far from everyone, I just wanted to add one thing. If you are considering switching to a new vet that may have more bully experience below is a link to a list of vet's compiled by everyone on here that we have used and have had good experience with bullies. Also the picture of Tank on the I-Robot is adorabull!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...-Veterinarians

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome! So glad you joined us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

You've already been given lots of great advice. I'll just add my welcome and request for pics. Because

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Thank you all for your great advice. I'll start researching pet foods and will switch to a grain free. That has got to be a step in the right direction - hopefully! If we can stop his smell & scratching he will be a much happier boy - and so will we! My husband is at his wits end with him, poor guy. Never heard about adding vinegar to their water but I'll try that as well. Desperate times calls for desperate measures! LOL

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Traci, to EBN. Looks like you have some really good advice up above, nothing more that I can add but to say, I hope you like it here as much as we all do.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads