My 10 months Bully is limping for 6 weeks!!!

Don Giovani

Dec 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovani
Hi All, I join the group to have some advise on my Puppy Giovani! Giovani is 10 months old! We went to the Vet 5 weeks ago to do an operation as Giovani had a umbilical hernias. We told the vet that Gio was limping for few days from the front left leg. He said that it was certainly a muscle. After the operation, Giovani was under antibiotics for few days and seems ok. But after he was still limping. We went back to the vet. He said that puppy reacted when he touched the elbow. He did an X-ray on both front legs but saw nothing special and gave him more pain killers. (he said it was not a perfect X ray)...
Then Giovani had an infection of the paw on the same leg. First it was like a white ball on the paw. But then he kind of exploded ( looks the picture). Back to the vet.
:mad: Antobiotics for 10 days.
I don t want to insist with the VET but I am not sure it s the same problem and I do believe its a coincidence. Giovani is limping for 6 weeks now. It s always something different and I am afraid it`s something else. Do you have any ideas ? Or something to recommend?

I want to go back and ask for an X ray under anesthesia to make sure that nothing is broken on his elbow or dislocated..??? Gio is really scared, he is shaking every time we go and I want to be sure we need to and we are not overreacted.

Attachments

• IMAG0590.jpg
    IMAG0590.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 211
  • IMAG0606.jpg
    IMAG0606.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 278
  • 2012-07-25 20.01.56.jpg
    2012-07-25 20.01.56.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 193

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
oh jeesh, that looks like a cyst, I copied this for you

For those who arenā€™t familiar with this particular bane of the French Bulldog and Bulldog owner, an interdigital cyst (their proper name is ā€˜Interdigital furuncleā€™) is an inflammation of the skin between the toes. The Merck Veterinary manual says -
The most common cause is a deep bacterial infection. Many dog breeds (eg, Shar-Pei, Labrador Retriever, English Bulldog) are predisposed to bacterial interdigital furunculosis because of the short bristly hairs located on the webbing between the toes, prominent interdigital webbing, or both. The short shafts of hairs are easily forced backward into the hair follicles during locomotion (traumatic implantation). Hair, ie, keratin, is very inflammatory in the skin, and secondary bacterial infections are common.

In Elliott, we first noticed he seemed a little bit lame, which I assumed was the result of a typical ā€˜rambunctious dogā€™ related injury. When he was limping worse the next day, I took a closer look. Thatā€™s when I saw the red swelling between his toes, with some crusted blood under the nail. The blood under his nail first led me to assume heā€™d damaged it somehow, perhaps by cracking it on the concrete patio after heā€™d jumped off the patio table. Elliott is our resident goat dog ā€“ if thereā€™s a table, chair, or other high surface around, heā€™s sure to climb onto it, and jump back down. So much for the ā€œDonā€™t let Frenchies jump off the couchā€ theory.

Closer inspection showed that the blood was likely from the swelling between his toes tearing the skin around the nail, which is when I realized it was a cyst, and not nail damage.
Although this is one the most common health problems in French and English Bulldogs, Iā€™ve never personally had a dog with an interdigital cyst before. Iā€™m familiar with them from talking to other owners and breeders, and aware that they can be nasty little suckers.
Cysts are scary looking. Theyā€™re huge, swollen and obviously painful for the dog.
My first reaction was to take him in to the vet, but the complicated course of treatment Merck recommends seemed rather daunting:
Interdigital furuncles respond best to a combination of topical and systemic therapy. Cephalexin (20 mg/kg, PO, tid, or 30 mg/kg, PO, bid) is recommended for 4-6 wk of initial therapy. However, because the lesions are pyogranulomatous, it may be difficult for antibiotics to penetrate them; therefore, >8 wk of systemic antibiotic therapy may be required for lesions to completely resolve. These lesions are often complicated by concurrent Malassezia spp infections. Oral ketoconazole or itraconazole (5-10 mg/kg) for 30 days may be indicated. The presence of Malassezia can be documented by cytologic examination of nail bed debris and/or impression smears of the skin. Topical foot soaks in warm water with or without an antibiotic solution (eg, chlorhexidine) and the application of mupiricin ointment are recommended. Some dogs may benefit from antibiotic wraps and bandaging. Antihistamines given for the first several weeks of treatment may partially alleviate pruritus, if present.
This is in stark contrast to the relatively mild and non invasive treatments other Bulldoggers and Frenchie owners recommend for treating cysts. Iā€™d decided I would try a lower impact home remedy, before loading Elliott up with 4-6 weeks of antibiotics.
The most common home remedy I read about was to soak or compress the affected foot several times per day, then apply antibiotic ointment. A few people recommended applying Preparation H or other hemmorhoid creams. We decided to do a bit of each.
Three to four times per day weā€™ve been soaking Elliottā€™s foot in Epsom salts. The easiest way weā€™ve found to do this is to fill the laundry tub up with 2 to 3 inches of fairly warm water, to which weā€™ve added a cup of Epsom Salts. We then stand Elliott in the tub, and sit beside him for ten minutes or so. Luckily for us, heā€™s a good boy, and just stands there patiently so long as we give him the occasional head scratch.
After ten minutes or so have elapsed, we put Elliott on a thick towel and gently pat his affected foot dry. I then fill a large, wide coffee cup with about an inch of hydrogen peroxide, and hold his foot in the cup for a few moments. The affected areas on Elliottā€™s foot, in particular the cyst itself and the surrounding hair follicles, respond to the hydrogen peroxide with bubbling, whereas the rest of his foot does not. This shows that there is catalase enzyme present in these areas, which is one of the components released when blood or damaged cells are present.
After soaking in hydrogen peroxide, we again pat Elliottā€™s foot dry. I then apply either Panalog ointment, or Anusol hemorrhoid ointment.
Weā€™ve been treating him using the above method since Saturday morning, and in that time period his swelling has reduced by approximately 40%, and the redness is almost completely gone. With any luck, it will be completely gone within another day or so, and with no antibiotics. Of course, if it doesnā€™t clear up, or returns, then weā€™ll try traditional Veterinary treatment and oral antibiotics.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Sherry has given you good advice, it looked like a cyst to me too, but if I would probably go to another vets if you are not getting anywhere with yours.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You have gotten great advice. Can you find a different vet? Maybe one with more Bully expertise? He has been thru alot already. My Jake had an umbilical hernia too. His was fixed at the same time he was neutered. I hope you can find out what to do for him soon..

OP
Don Giovani

Don Giovani

Dec 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovani
Thank you for your answers and advise Sherry! He had antibiotics and now we are putting a cream called Blaestostimulina, twice a day. The vet told us to do so for 10 days. I have to finish this treatment and see how it goes. We may try one of your home remedy Sherry I will let you know how it went. Tks !:)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3: Can't add any better advice than what Sherry gave you, and I hope his limping issue is resolved when you get the cyst under control.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN.... good luck with the interdigital cyst. I's love to see more pix of the little fella ;)

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
:welcome3: to EBN hope things start getting better for your little guy, he sure is a cutie!!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Hi All, I join the group to have some advise on my Puppy Giovani! Giovani is 10 months old! We went to the Vet 5 weeks ago to do an operation as Giovani had a umbilical hernias. We told the vet that Gio was limping for few days from the front left leg. He said that it was certainly a muscle. After the operation, Giovani was under antibiotics for few days and seems ok. But after he was still limping. We went back to the vet. He said that puppy reacted when he touched the elbow. He did an X-ray on both front legs but saw nothing special and gave him more pain killers. (he said it was not a perfect X ray)...
Then Giovani had an infection of the paw on the same leg. First it was like a white ball on the paw. But then he kind of exploded ( looks the picture). Back to the vet.
:mad: Antobiotics for 10 days.
I don t want to insist with the VET but I am not sure it s the same problem and I do believe its a coincidence. Giovani is limping for 6 weeks now. It s always something different and I am afraid it`s something else. Do you have any ideas ? Or something to recommend?

I want to go back and ask for an X ray under anesthesia to make sure that nothing is broken on his elbow or dislocated..??? Gio is really scared, he is shaking every time we go and I want to be sure we need to and we are not overreacted.

I am going through the same thing with Otis, not the cyst on his paw but the limping on the same leg (left, front) I took him to the vet a week ago today and he was put on pain meds. He said let's wait a week - see how the meds work and then we will have an xray taken. I am calling today to schedule the xray. He will need to be sedated - will let you know what the outcome is. Best of luck to you.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
hi there and :welcome: to ebn. i know bullies can sometimes limp on their legs and if it does not clear up soon i would certainly take him back in for an xray and if you must see a different vet. you may want to limit him somewhat in playing and certainly no jumping on or off the couch things like that for a bit see if it helps. your baby is adorable and i hope he gets better soon. sherry has given you good advice on the cyst. keep us updated.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I agree, with the Cyst diagnoses, it was my 1st reaction to the picture, and it seems that others concur :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
:welcome: to EBN!!! It certainly looks like the interdigital cysts that Maggie got once!! We worked out she was allergic to chicken after I had switched her to a chicken n veg food. Once we cut out the chicken she never got those cysts again.

I'd be more concerned about the limping that doesn't seem to be going away and a diagnosis from an x-ray that the vet says wasn't very good.

maybe time to look for another vet ... I can already tell from your post that you are getting frustrated with the one you have.

OP
Don Giovani

Don Giovani

Dec 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovani
Yes let me know how it went! Hope the best for Otis!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to EBN.... Giovoni is a sweetie.... I can not add any more advice than what has been said.... good luck, hope he heals up quick and all goes well.

Please keep us posted

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.