Ace and Rural mystic

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to you and Ace...... what a great looking bully.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well hello there and :welcome: to ebn. i will have to go check out your album of pics. glad your here and cant wait for stories. :2thumbs:

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Ok friends need some advice. Ace is very energetic and playful and the mouthing and teething we expected. My question is the aggression he is showing towards our older dog Gabe. Gabe is a two year old neutered Maltese and before I brought Ace home I was concerned that Gabe would be jealous and be a bit too aggressive with Ace but thats not the case. When they are smelling each other Ace will allow Gabe [the maltese] to do so but when Ace wants to smell Gabe the maltese runs and Ace nips at Gabe and has pulled some hair out at times. We always break it up but its impossible to stay with them all the time and prevent before it gets underway. Describing this to the Vet, she after listening carefully and observing their behavior in the examination room said that the problem was not with Ace but with Gabe that Ace's behavior was normal and Gabe wasn't. That Gabe needed correction because he has learned to get away with unacceptable behavior and that Gabe is the one that really needs most of the correction. She mentioned that much of this they needed to work out themselves and to correct Ace [the puppy] for normal social behavior could cause the puppy problems down the road. She specifically said that Gabe the older dog was the problem. The vet ascribes to the positive reinforcement training as I do and she thinks submitting the puppy could cause a problem. Even though I ascribe to positive reinforcement the majority of time perhaps more is necessary in some cases. My question is should I submit the pup when he gets aggressive with the older dog and if so how much or do any of your guys have some other ideas that could help as well?

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
:smileywelcome: to EBN, glad you found the site. I live in a one dog household so I'm no help with your question. I did tag a few people that may be able to provide more help. Also you may want to start a new thread under the behavior and training forum, you will get a better response over there.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and your pup is too cute. As far as the playing goes, it is mostly play. A pup that young really doesn't know when they are getting too rough. They learn this from their mama and other adult dogs. The Maltese is not teaching him this, but instead running away, which to the pup it's chase time. It's up to you to step in when they get too rough and just break it up and redirect the pup to a toy or if they have been playing for over 45 minutes, it's nap time. We crate train all our pups, and they love to go in their crates to get some quiet time and nap. The only time I will pin one is if they fight. Usually when they just get too rough a load "HEY" or "NO" will do the trick. You just need to find what works for you. Pups will be pups and love to play hard, and it's up to you to stop it when it gets too rough.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
:welcome3: to you and Ace to EBN, what a match both sharing the same Birthday.

I will go and take a look at your album of Ace, Hope you enjoy it here, so much helpful information and so many nice people too.

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
:welcome: to EBN. I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures of Ace. I haven't known another Ace before. My old guy, he passed, was named Ace....loved that pitty. Anywho, welcome! :2thumbs:

Thanks for the welcome. My first dog, from the age of 4 until I was 16 was a spaniel named Ace. So there was a particular sentimental reason for the name. I also owned An American Staffordshire in the mid 70's named Brutus and have wanted another bully breed since. I love all dogs but have a genuine preference for the bully breeds. AmStaff, Staffy's, APBT, American bulldogs and English bulldogs. My current Ace is an Olde English Bulldog from a foundation Olde English Dam which means that he has a particular bit more English bulldog pedigree. The mother was half english and half olde english

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I spent alot of time as a boy with my first dog Ace he was my early close and best friend. We spent many hours alone exploring the woods together and they will always be cherished memories. Every dog since then was measured by him. We had him put down when he was 12, he had gone blind and infirm. I was 16 years old at that time. My next dog was Brutus an American Staffordshire that me and my wife got not long after we were married. He was a spendid and beautiful representation of that breed, AKC registered and champion pedigree. Since then I have always yearned for another bully. They are remarkable dogs.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
[MENTION=7587]Rural mystic[/MENTION]

That's awesome that you named him after your other guy Ace. :2thumbs: We're on our 5th pitty right now, Jack. He's actually a pitty/AB mix we think (he was our rescue boy). Our other bullies were AmStaffs, Ace & Orion. They were littermate brothers. Today's been exactly one year since Ace went to the Bridge and his brother went the year before in January - they were 12 and 13. Nitro lived until he was just shy of 15 and was our other pitty. Guess we're bully breed peeps too. :2thumbs:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Forgot to say..........WHOLLY SNIKEY, he's gorgeous!! :luv:

attachment.php

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Ace is under my feet asleep right now in my study as I sit at the computer. He follows me wherever I go. Just like my first dog Ace and my Brutus

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
At the age of 60 I must say. The more people I have known and interacted with, the more I prefer dogs

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
For you dog lovers that like to read let me recommend a book
"A Dog's Purpose"
by W. Bruce Cameron

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OUXE7Y/ref=oh_d__o00_details_o00__i00

As an avid reader of which 99.9% is non-fiction I was more than pleased with this fictional but realistic seeming story

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.