Kristen657

Dec 22, 2012
Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Griffen
Hello!

I'm Kristen, I live in Ontario, Canada. I am a pediatric ICU nurse. I got Griffen in October. He as certainly been a lot of work, but worth every bit. He is about 4mos old now, pees on the floor mostly when my spouse is here. I think it's a man thing... He bites like crazy so we are working on that. He does not like to be told what to do, as soon as you try to redirect his biting he gets quite upset. He know about 6 commands consistently, he is eager to please, so I am hoping he will grow out of the vicious biting habits; he's also teething. He recently developed bilateral cherry eyes so we will get that dealt with when he is fixed. (yay for pet insurance). He is driving me nuts with walking. He acts like I'm killing him when I try to walk him. I'm sure my neighbours think I abuse him. He will walk for a few feet, then pulls away from the leash and jumps around like I'm torturing him. It seems like he's afraid allow the house to be out of his sight or something... We are seeing a trainer after the holidays to hopefully help with his issues. Looking forward to meeting new people and learning more about my bully!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well hello there and :welcome: to ebn. i cant wait to see pictures of your baby. there is nothing like a bully. you will find there is some info here on these things if you search in the search engine. there is also a behaviour part of the forum you may want to start a thread there as there are several here who can help with these things.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hiya:Kristen...So glad you found us! Yes..sounds like you have your hands full..with your husband and all! :ROFL: Poor Griffen, he is innocent..I'm sure! Most Bully's tend to have to be shown..that they love to exercise! Just try short stints on the leash and lengthen the time each trip. Treats work too! I know you will find great info her and lots of people to help.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome! I yelp loudly when they chew on me, it usually works well. Push away, ignore for a minute, give them something they CAN chew on, and when they do, praise them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to EBN and the wonderful world of bulldogs.

For walking... try using treats to get him to walk as he walks reward him with a 'good boy' and a treat making the treating a little longer each time and he will eventually just walk. Then you can treat as you want or need to to to keep him consistent

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Hello Kristen and :welcome3: to EBN, glad you and Griffen joined!! Looking forward to seeing some pictures!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, and Welcome. Where in Ontario are you located? I live in Mississauga. You joined a great site. I joined in Oct. I have 2 EB pups, 9 months old , they are brother and sister, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. Congratulations on your new baby, Griffen is a cutie. I had all of the same issues as you with mine, mostly with my male Dozer. I used a schedule for their potty training , and you can read my thread on potty training for puppies on the Puppy Group. As for the biting, what we did was made sure we handled them from day one , we played with their ears, put the sides of our hand in their mouths, took their food away when they were eating, and gave it back to them, as well as treats, and toys. We have 6 kids under the age of 5 in my family , they are all cousins, so I made sure they were used to this, so they wouldn't bite the kids. We would also grab them by the soft skin on their necks , when they bit us, and place their face on the floor, and hold them there, and sternly say No or Ouch, and they would stop biting. It only took about a week , and they both stopped biting. My two are very different in personality, Dozer is very laid back and lazy , he doesn't care what you do to him, you can bath him, trim his nails, brush his teeth, he loves to sleep and cuddle, loves everyone, but doesn't like to walk too much, 15 mins is about all he'll walk before he flops on the ground and refuses to go any further. He did this as a puppy, and I would have to carry him home, but now he's 9 months old, and weighs 36 lbs , so he's too heavy to carry now. Blossom has way more energy, and will walk for ever, she even has a wiggle to her butt when she walks , and she will run after balls forever. Hope you find solutions , but most of it they will learn, it just takes patience an consistency. Good luck.

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Hi Kristen! My bullys name is Tonka, he came from a breeder in Ontario as well, though we are in Alberta. I feel your pain with the biting and walking. To this day when Tonka is getting bitey and is impossible to deal with (he is 10 months) the only thing that works is vigorously shaking coins in a can. It distracts him right away and he stops what he is doing and usually moves on. Sometimes it takes a few tries.
He was absolutely terrible at walking as well. I bribed him and tried off leash and everything I could think of. What has finally won out and its only been in the last 2-3 months is persistence and consistency. We do the same walk everyday. He knows where he is going and he likes that. He won't even let me cross the street in a new place some days. Other days he likes to explore now, but he walks just fine without stopping finally. Bulldogs do not tend to like new things, they like a schedule and consistency. Also, when he would refuse to walk I would just stand there with tension on the leash in the direction I wanted to go (he wears a harness) and wait. I would eventually win and he would get up and take a few more steps. They are stubborn! It takes time. Walking with another dog also helped quite a bit. My neighbours would laugh and thought I was crazy, but everyone ob our walk circuit has to say hi and pet him now!
Anyways, it does get better! Don't get frustrated and just keep at it!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
If you have a friend or neighbor with a dog he may follow his lead to walk on a leash. Easier to train with an example

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN Kristen. Sounds like you have the perfect background for raising a bully! They are nothing more than an child. LOL Enjoy the website and please feel free to ask questions... that is how we all learned. Glad to have you aboard :)

OP
K

Kristen657

Dec 22, 2012
Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Griffen
Thank you all soo much!! We are trying to be persistent! He is hilarious. He loves the fireplace and makes me turn it on when it's off haha. I didn't think they liked the heat. He is bossy. I have faith though, he is getting much better with time.
I live in Orillia right now, but I work at Sick Kids so we will be moving closer to the city in the next year I HOPE!!! I feel like a bad mother people feel so sorry for him with his cherry eyes, although I tell them they aren't painful. He is starting to scratch at them once and a while, but I dont want to go to the vet to pay 70$ for them to take 2 sec to look at him and then perscribe a new drop. I figure they should be able to call one in for me or something. I'm such a nurse.
Anyway, I appreciate the comments; it feels good to know I'm not alone!!

Attachments

• IMG_1545.jpg
    IMG_1545.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1560.jpg
    IMG_1560.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 156.jpg
    156.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 111

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
:smileywelcome: Kristen! Omg cuteness overload! The first picture is priceless, he is goregeous! Glad you joined us and Im excited to watch him grow! They grow very quick! This site will have alot of advice and resources as your boy grows up :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and your baby sounds like a typical bully, just be persistent and have patience he will get there, plus he is a cutie also.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hi [MENTION=7450]Kristen657[/MENTION]! Welcome! Griffin is sooooo cute!
we are east of Ottawa, I have two littermates, boy and girl, and they are one and a half now. Not to worry, with persistence, love and dedication, all of the issues you are facing now will pass!
keep posting and search on the site, it is the best forum and you will enjoy it. I know I have...this forum has been invaluable!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online