mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
THANKYOU all for the posts! We will settle in to a routine and I will be looking for TONS of advice! Today we go for his health check/microchip. He has a small hernia- no opening, just a small bulge. Breeders vet said she would not touch it since it is closed. Any thoughts out there?

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
You got some great advice about the crate already but I just wanted to say Welcome home Bogey!! He is adorable!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
How was Bogeys' 1st night? I hope he settled in to his crate for you. When I first got my 2, yes 2 , Whew, a brother and sister, I put them on a schedule, this is what worked for us:

6 am: take out for 1st walk

6 am: and on, take outside every hour or two throughout the day.

7 am: feed your puppy 1st meal, then place in crate for about 10 mins to let their tummy settle, then take outside again.

7 am: and on, take outside every hour or two throughout the day.

1 pm: feed your puppy 2nd meal, then place in crate for about 10 mins to let their tummy settle, then take outside again.

1 pm: and on, take outside every hour or two throughout the day.

7 pm: feed your puppy 3 rd meal, then place in crate for about 10 mins to let their tummy settle, then take outside again.

7 pm: and on, take outside every hour or two until last walk of the evening, around 11 or 11:30 at night, just before you
go to bed.

11 pm: take puppy out for last potty break.

Tips: Take away the water around 8 or 9 pm, take puppy outside after they have played or got excited, as puppies will Pee when they get excited. Set your cell phone alarm for 2 am for a pee, as the time between 11 pm the last pee Pee break, to 6 am the 1st pee of the day is too long for puppy to hold. Set your alarm clock for 6 am to go for 1st Pee of the day. Each week or two, stretch out the times during the day by an hour or two, so they learn to hold Their pee longer each time. Eventually they will be able to hold for 4 or 5 hours at a time, and then as they get older Up to 5 or 6 hours at a time. Then the 2 am pee break can be eliminated. Also around 6 months of age you can go2 feedings a day, morning and night, instead of 3.

Until you know if your puppy is a chewer or not, be really careful with blankets, stuffed toys, small bones, etc. my Guys, and many other bulldogs can't have any of these things, a they chew, and swallow everything including Sticks, rocks, pinecones, paper, socks, mine swallowed socks twice, and got quite sick. You should read the Really good article under the EBN forum that JeannieCo wrote about the dangers of swallowing objects, my stories Of what happened to my guys when they swallowed stuff is on there as well.

I hope this helps you, and remember , the puppy training stage only lasts for about 5 months, it's like having a Baby in the house. It does get better.

Last edited:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Welcome home Bogey!! When you get a little bit older you will have to meet my Vegas, we live in Bradenton Fl.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Bogey is precious! He will get used to his new digs and hopefully quit howling and crying. They tend to howl, whine and cry like a baby to get their way!

PenelopeRosebud

Sep 26, 2012
Coquitlam, BC
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Rosebud & Bulldozer Bawss
Yay! The infamous Bogey is home! He is the most beautiful puppy and a lucky boy to have a family so in love with him. I hope you are all ready for the holidays as it seems you will not be able to pry yourselves away from your perfect, wrinkly little bundle of happiness. Our Penelope has been home for six months now and I still have a hard time leaving her for any reason.

Congratulations! I hope it's your best Christmas ever :)

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
He is too cute, when we picked up Bacon the breeder gave us ear plugs as part of our package. A few suggestions, I actually would take off my undershirt that I wore all day and wrap and old clock in it so it ticked and it smelled like me. The other thing we did that helped was to put a blanket over the entire crate at night that way he felt more safe. The first night he howled almost the entire night, the second night [MENTION=4676]thesspa[/MENTION] slept on the floor outside the crate so that he would calm down. Be prepared to be getting up every few hours at night to let him out. I forgot the equation for how long they are supposed to be able to hold their pee but I'm sure someone can help you out there.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I also have a puppy (Izzy is 5 months now) and after reading every single post on puppies/potty training I realized how different our babies can be. Izzy has a very strict routine when I brought her home and still we had many accidents with her. We were lucky that Izzy would sleep through the night and it never crossed my mind to wake up in the middle of the night to take her potty. I just made sure she was taken out around 9pm and we also took her water bowl at 7pm. She would be fine until 6am the next day when I wake up to let her out. Let me know how your puppy is.

Izzy cried the first night in her crate, maybe for 1 hour then she felt asleep. I never had a problem with her and the crate. How's your baby doing? I think that if you create a very positive safe place for him he will love his little cave! I also cover her crate with a towel so it's a little dark in there and she feels safer! Maybe that helped?!

Your baby is adorable and we will enjoy exchanging experiences here and learning from each other! :)

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I forgot the equation for how long they are supposed to be able to hold their pee but I'm sure someone can help you out there.

My breeder and vet said is the number of months + 1. So if he is 3 months old he cant hold for more than 4 hours.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
What a handsome boy!! Welcome!!

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
I'm so glad Bogey finally is home! As others have said, the time will pass swiftly and Bogey will be a big boy and have no accidents. I never had a problem with howling, both ladies were ever so polite and only cry (or whine) for food!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.