Another Rookie...

Jarhead0311

Nov 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Depends if we get a boy or a girl
Hello, I'm always looking for more information about Bullies and this website looks promising. My wife and I have been researching Bulldogs for awhile now and have learned quite a lot, but there is always more to learn. I guess the biggest first question I have is; how do you even begin to find a reliable breeder? I don't want to waste time or energy on scams. I thought about asking a reputable Bulldog vet about good breeders in the area, is this a good idea? Thanks!!

Hstead

Nov 14, 2012
Ironton OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Spielman (RIP) Bolt
I am by no means an expert and we do not even have our pup yet, but he will be here Saturday. This is also my first bulldog though I have wanted one since I was 10 and now I am 40. I googled bulldogs for sale and the three states that surround me. I was trying to limit my drive to 4 hours or less but I would have driven 6 hours if I had too. I went to their websites etc. I was looking for puppy mills and trying to avoid those. One thing I looked for was if mom and dad were in the house or a kennel. I prefer house. I looked to see if the breeders had kids. Ultimately for me, I spoke to them on the phone and via email and text. I got a good idea pretty quick which breeders I trusted more. I wound up picking a breeder about an hour away that has only been breeding bulldogs for a couple of years but seemed really knowledgeable and caring. She is trying hard to build a business and she was as picky as I was about who she was going to sell hers to. When we visited them at their home we could tell her bulldogs were well taken care of. She seems really honest and my wife and I felt like we knew her and her husband for years. We stayed at their home for 2 hours. She guarantees her pups for one year, which most do. I would recommend just asking a lot of questions and you will get a feel for who you trust. There were three that I spoke with that just didn't feel right. One was only 30 mins down the road but she wouldn't let us come and see her pups for a week or two she said and they were six weeks old. That made no sense to me. Also, the breeder we chose sent the most pictures and videos when I requested. She sent a ton of information and pictures. That was another key to me as a few breeders would send one picture and it would be a closeup of the face.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hiya: So glad you found us! Just so you know..we aren't allowed to recommend breeders on the forum. But..if anyone has any info and recommendations about breeders in Michigan..they can sure send you a private message! The rest of us will anxiously wait to meet your new family member. In the meantime..read up on all the great info here and ask anything you'd like! :up:

You can check with bulldog club of America for breeder info too!

Last edited by a moderator:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN....... I hope you find the perfect addition to your family. As you are finding out, there is a wealth of bully info on this site. Have fun and please keep us in the loop as your bully search progresses. :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome! Have you read the puppy buying tips article? I hope it can help you on your search!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Welcome! I did my search for Cutty thru the bulldog club of America. Not only avoid puppy mills but backyard breeders who breed just for money rather than the breed. Good luck on your search! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can also check the Bulldog Club of America website for a list of breeders in your area and then do you homework from there

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You can ask a good bully vet for recommendations, or local bully club or BCA for good breeders. Plus if you want a good older bully, check out some of the rescues in your area. Good luck with your search.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Hi and :welcome3: to EBN!! That's what I did, I really trusted the vet I had back then so I went to him and asked if he could recommend a bulldog breeder for me ... which worked out great because the name he gave me ended up being the wife of someone I had known for most of my life :)

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Welcome to EBN. I think I found my breeder through Bulldog Club of America - so that's definitely a place to start as everyone has recommended.

Cant wait to hear about and see your new puppy when you get it!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You've already been given some wonderful advice to get you started on your journey to find your bully!!! All I will add is a big :welcome: to our site, and I hope you stay with us so we can share your journey to become a bully parent!!

OP
J

Jarhead0311

Nov 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Depends if we get a boy or a girl
Thank you for the welcome and the info, the search continues!!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I can't help you with Breeders but Welcome to EBN you will get tons of information here and it is a great place to come to.

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Welcome! :beer: Congrats on your decision to find a responsible, reputable breeder. You will have a MUCH healthier (and happier) dog as a result!

Remember; if it's too good to be true; it IS.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online