Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Bully owner, have questions

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bixby
    Likes (Received)

Question New Bully owner, have questions

Be forewarned, this may be a tad bit long cause I am a new bully owner and I just want to care for him as best as I can...

Sir Bixby is 2 yrs old and I got him a week ago. His previous owners were feeding him 1 cup of blue buffalo three times a day. I was told that was too much so I switched him to 1 cup twice a day. What is the right amount to feed him? They also bathed him once a week, again I heard that too much bathing may dry out his skin. Would it be okay to wipe him down every other day with wipes and maybe a bath once a month? Whenever I take him for a walk, which is usually 4 times a day, I wipe down his paws and his bottom. Is that too much? I wipe down his ears every other day. I wipe down his wrinkles every other day and was told to put gold bond medicated powder every 3-5 days to keep moisture out. Am I cleaning him too much?

help...

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New Bully owner, have questions

Well first welcome to the site. As far as feeding him, usually you will feed them just enough to maintain their weight at that age. If he is too fat then the one cup a day may be fine until he losses some weight. If he is just right on his weight then you will just have to monitor his weight and if he losses weight then increase his food. every bully is different, depending on his exercise level and metabolism. Just play it by ear is what I do. My male bully is a picky eater so some time he will eat 1 1/2 cups twice a day and sometime he will only eat half of it. My adult girls only get 3/4 cups twice a day. As far as bathing, I say just bath them when they need it. Once a month or if they don't need it you can go longer. Some peeps bath them once a week, but I don't. It doesn't hurt to wipe them down every few days. His face you can clean it when it needs it. Sometime everyday may be too much and dry his skin out. Wiping his booty every time he poops is not a bad idea. Cleaning his paws after each walk may be too much, but if they are not red or irritated it doesn't hurt anything. We clean their ears when needed, which may be once a week or sometimes twice a week, just depends. Sounds like you are a good bully mama and are taking good care of your baby. From your avatar pic his is a handsome boy, so enjoy him, they do steal your heart for sure.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

David has given you excellent advice. Don't stress out too much. They surely are complicated critters but you I'll find what works best. I'm of the mind that you CAN clean too much. Focus on his ears..and nose rope and wrinkle a few times a week. I don't use the powder because it kinda caked and caused irritation. I use witch hazel a couple times a week..but lots here use just unscented baby wipes. If you see irritation in the tinkles..a tiny dab of desitin will work great!

I agree..Bixby is a very lucky Bully!

Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Hi and Welcome!!

Herman is 8 months old and I was feeding him 2 1/4 cups per day. About a week or two ago I reduced it to 1 3/4 cups per day and he slimmed down very quickly. So I give him a little more some times. I think as others mentioned, it really depends on the amount your particular doggie needs to maintain a good weight and how much exercise he gets. Herman looks a little skinny to me now, but since he cant get as much exercise because he's limping I adjusted - and also to help with soft poop he was having (reducing the amount of food he was eating helped alot).

As for washing, you can wipe him down 3-4 times a week with Baby Wash - I use Johnson's Oatmeal and Vanilla. I wipe Hermans face after every meal with a wet washcloth (water only). For the wrinkles, you can just wipe them dry with some dry cotton facial pads so that wont pile on more and more stuff inside the wrinkles.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

I'm going to move this to the welcome and introductions section where more will see it and welcome you all to the site.

to EBN PIX!!! we NEEEEED more pix!

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Hi and to EBN! would love to see more pictures of your sweet baby, he is very handsome!

I probably go a little over board with my bullies, I try to give them a bath once a week but sometimes its every other week, but I clean faces daily, brush teeth and clean ears weekly ... I have a shelf in my linen closet that is just for all of their supplies and I keep a bag of dog products next to my chair so I can pull it out while they are resting and clean all their spots. I feed them twice a day and give them 1/2 cup kibble and 1/2 cup honest kitchen dehydrated raw food each meal.
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bixby
    Likes (Received)

-image-jpgThis is him taking a break from playing with his KONG bone.

Thanks for the all the great info!! I must say that this site is very helpful!!

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

oh love the picture!! He is very handsome and looks like you are doing an excellent job taking care of him, he looks very happy and healthy!!!
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

Herman is soo handsome! I too am a newbie here- we don't even get our pup for another 8 DAYS, but I just love all the helpful info here!! Will look forward to growing with all of you here!! Welcome!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    -image-jpgThis is him taking a break from playing with his KONG bone.

Thanks for the all the great info!! I must say that this site is very helpful!!

Hello and welcome to EBN and the most WONDERFUL world of bulldogs!! Bixby is one handsome devil.... David gave you great info and you are on the road to being a great bully Mama!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

to EBN Bixbie is one handsome bully and certainly looks happy in that pic!!!!!!!!!

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Bixby is a cutie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads