New Bully owner, have questions

Trixie

Nov 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bixby
Be forewarned, this may be a tad bit long cause I am a new bully owner and I just want to care for him as best as I can...

Sir Bixby is 2 yrs old and I got him a week ago. His previous owners were feeding him 1 cup of blue buffalo three times a day. I was told that was too much so I switched him to 1 cup twice a day. What is the right amount to feed him? They also bathed him once a week, again I heard that too much bathing may dry out his skin. Would it be okay to wipe him down every other day with wipes and maybe a bath once a month? Whenever I take him for a walk, which is usually 4 times a day, I wipe down his paws and his bottom. Is that too much? I wipe down his ears every other day. I wipe down his wrinkles every other day and was told to put gold bond medicated powder every 3-5 days to keep moisture out. Am I cleaning him too much?

help...

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well first welcome to the site. As far as feeding him, usually you will feed them just enough to maintain their weight at that age. If he is too fat then the one cup a day may be fine until he losses some weight. If he is just right on his weight then you will just have to monitor his weight and if he losses weight then increase his food. every bully is different, depending on his exercise level and metabolism. Just play it by ear is what I do. My male bully is a picky eater so some time he will eat 1 1/2 cups twice a day and sometime he will only eat half of it. My adult girls only get 3/4 cups twice a day. As far as bathing, I say just bath them when they need it. Once a month or if they don't need it you can go longer. Some peeps bath them once a week, but I don't. It doesn't hurt to wipe them down every few days. His face you can clean it when it needs it. Sometime everyday may be too much and dry his skin out. Wiping his booty every time he poops is not a bad idea. Cleaning his paws after each walk may be too much, but if they are not red or irritated it doesn't hurt anything. We clean their ears when needed, which may be once a week or sometimes twice a week, just depends. Sounds like you are a good bully mama and are taking good care of your baby. From your avatar pic his is a handsome boy, so enjoy him, they do steal your heart for sure.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
David has given you excellent advice. Don't stress out too much. They surely are complicated critters but you I'll find what works best. I'm of the mind that you CAN clean too much. Focus on his ears..and nose rope and wrinkle a few times a week. I don't use the powder because it kinda caked and caused irritation. I use witch hazel a couple times a week..but lots here use just unscented baby wipes. If you see irritation in the tinkles..a tiny dab of desitin will work great!

I agree..Bixby is a very lucky Bully!

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Hi and Welcome!!

Herman is 8 months old and I was feeding him 2 1/4 cups per day. About a week or two ago I reduced it to 1 3/4 cups per day and he slimmed down very quickly. So I give him a little more some times. I think as others mentioned, it really depends on the amount your particular doggie needs to maintain a good weight and how much exercise he gets. Herman looks a little skinny to me now, but since he cant get as much exercise because he's limping I adjusted - and also to help with soft poop he was having (reducing the amount of food he was eating helped alot).

As for washing, you can wipe him down 3-4 times a week with Baby Wash - I use Johnson's Oatmeal and Vanilla. I wipe Hermans face after every meal with a wet washcloth (water only). For the wrinkles, you can just wipe them dry with some dry cotton facial pads so that wont pile on more and more stuff inside the wrinkles.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I'm going to move this to the welcome and introductions section where more will see it and welcome you all to the site.

:smileywelcome: to EBN :loco: PIX!!! we NEEEEED more pix! ;)

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Hi and :welcome3: to EBN! would love to see more pictures of your sweet baby, he is very handsome!

I probably go a little over board with my bullies, I try to give them a bath once a week but sometimes its every other week, but I clean faces daily, brush teeth and clean ears weekly ... I have a shelf in my linen closet that is just for all of their supplies and I keep a bag of dog products next to my chair so I can pull it out while they are resting and clean all their spots. I feed them twice a day and give them 1/2 cup kibble and 1/2 cup honest kitchen dehydrated raw food each meal.

OP
Trixie

Trixie

Nov 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bixby
image.jpgThis is him taking a break from playing with his KONG bone.

Thanks for the all the great info!! I must say that this site is very helpful!! :)

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
oh love the picture!! He is very handsome and looks like you are doing an excellent job taking care of him, he looks very happy and healthy!!!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Herman is soo handsome! I too am a newbie here- we don't even get our pup for another 8 DAYS, but I just love all the helpful info here!! Will look forward to growing with all of you here!! Welcome!:tongue:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
View attachment 31248This is him taking a break from playing with his KONG bone.

Thanks for the all the great info!! I must say that this site is very helpful!! :)

Hello and welcome to EBN and the most WONDERFUL world of bulldogs!! Bixby is one handsome devil.... David gave you great info and you are on the road to being a great bully Mama!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well hello there and :welcome: to ebn. you have gotten good advice so i say sit back and enjoy the ride. :2thumbs:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, and welcome. I have 2 EB pups , they are 9 months old, I feed mine 1 1/2 cups twice a day, but they are still puppies, and growing. I've read on here that some people feed 1 cup of feed twice a day, some feed 1 1/2 cups a day, and some feed their dogs once a day. There is no right or wrong amount , it depends on the age, weight, and how active your dog is. If the 1 cup, 3 times a day is fine for him, if his stools aren't mushy, and he's not over weight, then you can leave it. I find it easier to feed twice a day, so you could do 1 1/2 cups twice a day for the same amount, otherwise if he's not that active and seems a little heavy, you can reduce it to 1 cup twice a day.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
OMG What a handsome Bully boy Bixby is!!!! He looks so totally happy. The advice here is great. And it sounds like you are a great Bully mama. If he looks healthy and his weight is good then you know you are doing the right thing and stay with it. It can be a bit of trial and error. I feed 1 cup twice a day supplemented with treats for training and some probiotic yogurt in the morning. I trim Miss T's toenails every 4 weeks but only bath her every few months or when she needs it. I clean her tail pocket and her vulva everyday, her nose folds I wipe every day with unscented baby wipes and dry with a sterile cotton pad right away to make sure there is no moisture left in the folds, her ears I do every 2 or 3 days. So far so good.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.