hello all...looking for new puppy advice!

anthony fiasco

Nov 15, 2012
Toronto, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
whats going on everyone,

First, I am happy to have come across this site and be able to join what looks to be an amazing, informative and passionate community. I am about to be bringing home my FIRST BABY BULLY! He will be 8 weeks and I would love some advice, tips and/or suggestions...

Until I came across this site I was set on using Royal Canin but have quickly been converted. I would like (based on its positive reviews) to use Fromms for my pup but wanted to know if there is a puppy kind made by Fromms for 8 week old bulldogs?

I also wanted to know what treats are safe and good and the issues with regular or grain-free type of ingredients.

Last but not least I wanted to know about the pup and potty at night time. Now ive read and am fully prepared to wake up every 2 hours to take him out if need be, BUT my breeder has said sleeps through the night just fine. I know the first couple of days with adjusting will be rough and he will cry, BUT, I still want to know if I should wake him if hes asleep to go out, OR let him sleep and check back on him in another couple hours?

Any contribution to this post will be appreciated....

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN! There are just a ton of articles about puppies here on EBN written by some wonderful knowledgeable people. Read read and reread. Im glad you signed up and look forward to seeing lots and lots of pix of your baby bully. Thanx for joining.:)

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Hello and welcome! Yes, Fromm does make a puppy formula. I used it for the first 6 months then switched over to the grain free beef fritatta.(sp) I believe that the Fromm is a All Stages food, meaning it can be fed to any age dog. I may be wrong about this thou. I love it. It is a little pricey but well worth it. With Fromm both of my dogs have less tear stains and less farts!

As for potty training, If he is really sleeping through the night, I see no reason to wake him up. But yo want to make sure he is not going to wake up an potty while you are a sleep. I would have him sleep close by ( in the same room) to make sure this does not happen. I crate trained my dogs and I am s happy I did this. You should look in to it. There are any great articles here on EBN. Take your time and read through some of them, it really helps.

Tank1023

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Sausage
Welcome! I started my pup on Fromm's when he was 3 months (that's when we got him). I'm not on a puppy formula because I was told it was good for all ages. He's done fine switching to it but its a two week process to switch him over.
i also crate trained my boy and has worked out great, he woke up the first few night to potty but quickly slept through the night.
Good luck! Hope to see some Picts soon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to EBN and the wonderful world of BULLDOGS!!!

Fromm is an all stage food so you can use through life..... the reason for grain free is a lot of bullies hvae high sensitivity and allergies to grains so it is good to try and avoid if you can.

I am tagging a few members to help with your puppy - potty questions.

Look forward to seeing pictures of Winston

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
That is so exciting! We got our puppy in July when he was 12 weeks old and it was love at first sight! Our breeder used Taste of the Wild puppy so we just kept Mr. Seamus on that and he has been doing great. I have heard great things about Fromm too so if we ever need to change it up that is what we are going to go with.

As far as sleeping through the night ... hahaha our breeder said the same thing to us and it ended up being a bunch of BS. I assume she thought he was making through the night but he had a doggy door to the outside and could come and go as he pleased so he wasn't making any noises to wake her up so she thought he was "sleeping through the night". The first night we got him he cried the whole night. Literally the whole night. My husband and I felt soooo bad for him! There was literally nothing we could do to stop it. We crate trained him and by 5 months he was sleeping through the night all 9 hours without having to get up. The first month I went every 2 hours and just started stretching it out by an hour every week until I could just sleep through the night.

Good luck! Take lots of pictures! They are the best breed ever. My Mr. Seamus is currently sleeping on my lap as I am typing this :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
The Fromms Puppy formula, is called Fromms Puppy Gold, you want to keep him on puppy food until at least 6 or 7 months, for the extra calories, vitamins, and fat they need for rapid growth, and puppy development. Then you can change him to Fromms Adult. I have my two EB on Fromms Beef Fritta. They are both doing well on this food, it was our 4th switch of food, some foods we tried caused diarrhea , or soft stools, and my Blossom has a lot of sensitivity issues, she gets really pink ears, chin, and eyes when she eats chicken, corn or other fillers. You will have have to wait until Winston is eating adult food to know what he will tolerate. When you switch , you want to start with 2/3 of the old food mixed with 1/3 of the new food, and gradually increase until they are eating all adult food, this should be done gradually to avoid stomach upsets or diarrhea . Good luck, I hope you find a food your guy can tolerate.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
FROMM puppy is a good food and we feed our pups this. FROMM also makes treats too. You just might have to cut them into smaller pieces at first. Just remember, no rawhide, pigs ears, or bully sticks to chew on. Stay with Nylabones, or Kongs for their chew toys, also not hard plastic toys either. Be careful with rope toys also as they can cause chocking hazards when they get a little worn.

We crate train our pups, and put a towel down for them to sleep on and if the pee of poop on it we just hose them off and then wash them. We do not get up with them during the night unless they wake us up wanting out. I doubt a pup that young will sleep through the night without going potty, but that's what the towel is there for. They will eventually sleep through the night without an accident. We have two 16 week old pups now and most nights they will not pee in their crates, but sometimes still will, but they are getting better. Putting his crate next to your bed the first week will help with him whining. Some people will put their hand on the side of the crate so the pup will feel you there. Then you can move it further away and eventually into his own room or area. Enjoy your pup and send pics when you can.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
:smileywelcome: and Congratulations on your new best adventure ever.

Ask your breeder for a towel or blanky that smells like the litter mates to keep your new pup company for the first few nights, or put a worn shirt or old sweat shirt that you wore for a day so they can smell you. That will also keep them calm and not so lonely. A crate is a must, don't put water or food in there. Don't expect you pup to hold themselves for more than 2 hours. The old saying of a hour for every month old holds pretty close until they are about 7 months old. Only praise will work on them when they do go potty where you want them too. Scolding and hollering will only upset both of you and it doesn't work.
Don't give your new puppy any toys unsupervised ever. Baby proof your home. Just like a toddler. Block off electrical cords if necessary, I do this because I know the trouble they can get into. Love your new pup and hopefully you can enjoy them for a very long time to come.
Keep your new puppy healthy. They aren't the healthiest breed available but they are by far, the most different and cutest.
You may find yourself worrying like crazy, but don't panic, that never did anyone any good. do your homework.
Now, get that puppy in your arms, bond with each other and take more pictures then you need,,, and share them. [MENTION=7052]anthony fiasco[/MENTION]

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
I brought Zeus home at 8 weeks old and immediately started crate training. I took him out late at night before bedtime and then checked on him about every two hours and took him out. I never withheld water from him. I used a water bottle on the crate. It was not long before he slept through the night without accidents. He began using the doggie door with my Westie really quickly and was easy to potty train. On the other hand, my granddog was brought home at 12 weeks and was crate trained and used the doggie door from day one and never has had an accident. Great breeder!! Good luck and enjoy your baby! All the work is well worth it!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I would so love a doggie door, but alas, I am doomed to remain the sliding glass doorman of 5

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
Sherry, I love my doggie door, but my hubby is home to monitor how long they stay outside. I would never use it when they are home alone. That is when Zeus is crated until someone is home. LOL

Hstead

Nov 14, 2012
Ironton OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Spielman (RIP) Bolt
I am new to this site as well and have been reading and reading. Great site with great folks. We just put a deposit on our first bulldog. He turned 5 weeks old today so we will still have to wait a couple more weeks until we get him home. We are struggling with names. I have an eleven year old son and fifteen year old daughter and none of us can agree on a name. She likes TANK, he likes LUTZ after our high school football coach who is the winningest coach of all time in the state of Ohio, and my wife and I like BOND as in James Bond. There have been numerous others, but this seems to be the latest names.

We will start prepping our house next week, buying toys, crate, puppy food, etc. We all can't wait to get him home.

M1.jpg

M1-2wks.jpg

MadeaM1-3days.jpg

MadeaM1-3wks2.jpg

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: hey. :smileywelcome: to ebn congratulations It's so great to get a baby mine will be 7 months on the 22 I can't believe it already we are on Fromm four star grain free beef frittata veg both of my dogs have been on it for about 2 weeks now an they have been doing great so far so good luck with everything

OP
anthony fiasco

anthony fiasco

Nov 15, 2012
Toronto, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you all so much! What about during the day when hes in the crate? Still no water? I will have access to him every hour or 2 as I live in one of the buildings that i am a property manager at. Also, for puppy food fromms has a kind for pups?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.