hello all...looking for new puppy advice!

OP
anthony fiasco

anthony fiasco

Nov 15, 2012
Toronto, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank u so much for this! Is there any reason why grain vs. grain free is highly discussed? Are there issues with one vs the other?

OP
anthony fiasco

anthony fiasco

Nov 15, 2012
Toronto, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Sorry, i posted a reply on this but not with the quote...thanks but then i also asked whats the issue with grains vs grain free as it comes up often in discussion. And would you suggest a water bottle hanging in the crate? I feel bad having him not have access to water unless its bedtime

Hello and welcome! Yes, Fromm does make a puppy formula. I used it for the first 6 months then switched over to the grain free beef fritatta.(sp) I believe that the Fromm is a All Stages food, meaning it can be fed to any age dog. I may be wrong about this thou. I love it. It is a little pricey but well worth it. With Fromm both of my dogs have less tear stains and less farts!

As for potty training, If he is really sleeping through the night, I see no reason to wake him up. But yo want to make sure he is not going to wake up an potty while you are a sleep. I would have him sleep close by ( in the same room) to make sure this does not happen. I crate trained my dogs and I am s happy I did this. You should look in to it. There are any great articles here on EBN. Take your time and read through some of them, it really helps.

OP
anthony fiasco

anthony fiasco

Nov 15, 2012
Toronto, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank u!

Hello and welcome to EBN and the wonderful world of BULLDOGS!!!

Fromm is an all stage food so you can use through life..... the reason for grain free is a lot of bullies hvae high sensitivity and allergies to grains so it is good to try and avoid if you can.

I am tagging a few members to help with your puppy - potty questions.

Look forward to seeing pictures of Winston

OP
anthony fiasco

anthony fiasco

Nov 15, 2012
Toronto, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I am fully ready to be up every 2 hours with no problem for my little buddy..and i expect a rough couple nights BUt i must ask, if he cried all night how or when did you know to take him out? Cause i know and read you cannot answer there crys the first couple nights or else they will assume crying will get them what they want...

That is so exciting! We got our puppy in July when he was 12 weeks old and it was love at first sight! Our breeder used Taste of the Wild puppy so we just kept Mr. Seamus on that and he has been doing great. I have heard great things about Fromm too so if we ever need to change it up that is what we are going to go with.

As far as sleeping through the night ... hahaha our breeder said the same thing to us and it ended up being a bunch of BS. I assume she thought he was making through the night but he had a doggy door to the outside and could come and go as he pleased so he wasn't making any noises to wake her up so she thought he was "sleeping through the night". The first night we got him he cried the whole night. Literally the whole night. My husband and I felt soooo bad for him! There was literally nothing we could do to stop it. We crate trained him and by 5 months he was sleeping through the night all 9 hours without having to get up. The first month I went every 2 hours and just started stretching it out by an hour every week until I could just sleep through the night.

Good luck! Take lots of pictures! They are the best breed ever. My Mr. Seamus is currently sleeping on my lap as I am typing this :)

OP
anthony fiasco

anthony fiasco

Nov 15, 2012
Toronto, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank u so much for this info!

The Fromms Puppy formula, is called Fromms Puppy Gold, you want to keep him on puppy food until at least 6 or 7 months, for the extra calories, vitamins, and fat they need for rapid growth, and puppy development. Then you can change him to Fromms Adult. I have my two EB on Fromms Beef Fritta. They are both doing well on this food, it was our 4th switch of food, some foods we tried caused diarrhea , or soft stools, and my Blossom has a lot of sensitivity issues, she gets really pink ears, chin, and eyes when she eats chicken, corn or other fillers. You will have have to wait until Winston is eating adult food to know what he will tolerate. When you switch , you want to start with 2/3 of the old food mixed with 1/3 of the new food, and gradually increase until they are eating all adult food, this should be done gradually to avoid stomach upsets or diarrhea . Good luck, I hope you find a food your guy can tolerate.

OP
anthony fiasco

anthony fiasco

Nov 15, 2012
Toronto, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank u for this as well! Im so thankful for everyones responses...

FROMM puppy is a good food and we feed our pups this. FROMM also makes treats too. You just might have to cut them into smaller pieces at first. Just remember, no rawhide, pigs ears, or bully sticks to chew on. Stay with Nylabones, or Kongs for their chew toys, also not hard plastic toys either. Be careful with rope toys also as they can cause chocking hazards when they get a little worn.

We crate train our pups, and put a towel down for them to sleep on and if the pee of poop on it we just hose them off and then wash them. We do not get up with them during the night unless they wake us up wanting out. I doubt a pup that young will sleep through the night without going potty, but that's what the towel is there for. They will eventually sleep through the night without an accident. We have two 16 week old pups now and most nights they will not pee in their crates, but sometimes still will, but they are getting better. Putting his crate next to your bed the first week will help with him whining. Some people will put their hand on the side of the crate so the pup will feel you there. Then you can move it further away and eventually into his own room or area. Enjoy your pup and send pics when you can.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Welcome to EBN!! Good luck with the puppy training!!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
wanted to welcome you to EBN looks like you have been given excellent advice so I'm just going to add, enjoy that sweet little baby they are so much fun!!!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3: you've already gotten great advice on the food and potty questions. I just wanted to say :hiii:

Last edited:
OP
anthony fiasco

anthony fiasco

Nov 15, 2012
Toronto, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Has anyone heard of 'Be Fresh Dental Care Solution"? Was just doing research on teeth cleaning, breathe etc and came across this product and wanted to know if its any good or safe. It says you add it to their water. Aside from this product, how often should you be treating/brushing your bullys teeth?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Has anyone heard of 'Be Fresh Dental Care Solution"? Was just doing research on teeth cleaning, breathe etc and came across this product and wanted to know if its any good or safe. It says you add it to their water. Aside from this product, how often should you be treating/brushing your bullys teeth?

I haven't heard about that product..we get a toothpaste from our vet and use it..I am woefully bad at brushing teeth..but I try once a week.

Bully907

Nov 8, 2012
Fort Bragg, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
Hi and welcome. I am also new with this website and owning a bulldog. My wife started crate training as soon as we got her. We have two crates/kennels. One is smaller for a puppy and one is bigger metal kennel for when she gets bigger. If you have a big kennel I would say get a smaller one because they dont like to pee or poop where they sleep so they will more than likely start crying if they want out. Our puppy was asking to go out every 2-3 hours. This was 8 weeks to about 11 weeks, but now we take her our before bed about 10ish and I wake up to go to work around 5am and take her out and she doesnt wake up anymore.

As for food, Im in the same boat as you I still am getting her off of Royal Canin and we are trying Orijin puppy. I will let you know how it goes.

OP
anthony fiasco

anthony fiasco

Nov 15, 2012
Toronto, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you for the help.
P
Hi and welcome. I am also new with this website and owning a bulldog. My wife started crate training as soon as we got her. We have two crates/kennels. One is smaller for a puppy and one is bigger metal kennel for when she gets bigger. If you have a big kennel I would say get a smaller one because they dont like to pee or poop where they sleep so they will more than likely start crying if they want out. Our puppy was asking to go out every 2-3 hours. This was 8 weeks to about 11 weeks, but now we take her our before bed about 10ish and I wake up to go to work around 5am and take her out and she doesnt wake up anymore.

As for food, Im in the same boat as you I still am getting her off of Royal Canin and we are trying Orijin puppy. I will let you know how it goes.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.