Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
How old is she? She does seem pretty small, but every breed has "smaller than normal" pups. Did they say anything about an elongated soft pallet? Curious as to why there isn't much room....I know that they need to be closely monitored due to breathing difficulties....

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Is there a website or place to find a vet that "specializes in bullies"? I have a local vet that we bring our cats to, but I dont know if he/she specializes in bullies, and if the vet doens't know of anyone, wonder how I could go about finding this info

This website has a list of recommended vets by the members of the site ... you can get to it from the homepage. If there is none in your area then you can go to the Bulldog Club of America website http://thebca.org/ . There is a link on the left hand side called Veterinarian List. This gives a list of vets that are recommended by members of the BCA.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hello my real name is Rachel. I just bought a 1 year AKC english bulldog female named Genevieve. :heart: I love her so much! I hope to get lots of info and advice. I have owned a english bulldogs before but he was much taller and bigger built than Genevieve. I guess she is the smallest english I have ever seen weighing in at 26 pounds. She is in good health, the vet said yesterday, as we took her for a check up and booster shot. Doc was little worried about putting her to sleep to get her spayed because there is not alot of room in her mouth for breathing tub. Did your girls do ok being put to sleep? We are feeding Nutro Natural Balance. Vet doesn't want her to gain alot weight because she has such a small frame. Any advice is welcome:)

Hi Rachel and Genevieve .... such a petite little girl and sooooooooooooo cute!!! We feed Maggie FROMM Salmon n Veggies and we are VERY pleased with how Maggie reacts to it.

OP
Genevieve'sMom

Genevieve'sMom

Sep 22, 2010
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Genevieve
Thanks everyone! I will take alot of your advice. To the one that asked, she is 1yr. 4months old. My hubby says I am reading into to much of what the vet said....that the breed itself has more of a risk with surgery than other breeds. I am gonna take her to a bully vet if I can find one so they can spay her.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Thanks everyone! I will take alot of your advice. To the one that asked, she is 1yr. 4months old. My hubby says I am reading into to much of what the vet said....that the breed itself has more of a risk with surgery than other breeds. I am gonna take her to a bully vet if I can find one so they can spay her.

We have a recommended veterinarian list here on the site, not sure if any are in your area or not.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/Recommended_Veteranarians.html

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Now I think I am on the same track.lol. I took it as that the vet was worried about the size in general, not the concern with the bully breed. duh.

As far as finding a bully vet, I personally feel that if you have a great vet that doesn't feel comfortable working on Bullies, then feel free to see if they can direct you. A great vet/Dr etc is one that knows their limitations and makes sure you are guided in the correct direction. If your vet does not seem to know of any, there are different pathways to go.
Word of mouth is wonderful, however, I have encountered recommendations to a highly recommended "bully vet" that I wouldn't take a rat too!
Just like breeders, the Best thing is to research it. I know here in the Jax area we have a Meet-up group with a forum such as this. Then if anyone has specific questions, they usually get answered. I am lucky enough to have a great vet for my bullies. Both have gone through surgeries just fine. I do closely monitor them for a day after (I make it so someone is home all day for two days) I have experience with human surgeries and sleep apnea, so monitoring at least for 24 hours after is very important. I use that same reasoning with the girls.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver

She is a tiny little thing! as long as she is healthy. I have seen smaller and smaller bullies lately! Sounds like she isn't much bigger than Bella, who is Frenchie size with the bulk of an English.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
What a doll! And welcome.. boy, she is tiny! Chester is twice that size and he's 9 months :) You will love this site, I've learned SO much the past several months!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Welcome Rachel and Genevieve! Genevieve is a cutie!

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Welcome to you and your little lady.She is so cute, reminds me of mini bullies. I was told the same thing about altering my Bully because he is so BIG though lol and 3 yrs old so I have gotten the name of another vet from one of the EBN memebers. This site is VERY helpful and even if its a small or "stupid" question you have , Here no question is to small or ever considered as stupid.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.