hello from sc

sjones5254

Oct 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
gracie macy
I am the proud owner of a olde english but what brought me here is her skin problems. we ruled out food alleries.The vet has her on steroids and antibotics right now but nothing seems to be helping. we have no carpet and i havent changed anything. we have 5 other dogs who have no problems. she just started scratching herself raw about 3 weeks ago. any help would be wonderful

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
:smileywelcome:Welcome to EBN, so glad you found us. five dogs that's what I have too.

She looks young, how old is she? The thing that sends me a flag is...did it start at her head? how about her belly, what does that look like? or is it just her face. Does she have any ear issues

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hi there and sorry she is going through this! Have they done an allergy test? How was food ruled out? With Brutus he never had reactions to anything before 14 months...The last month or so he has been getting hives here and there from certain things he eats. The immune system can change at any age and something they might not have been allergic to could now be an issue. Have they done skin scrapes?

Others will be by with more advice. I will tag some people to see if they have advice [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to EBN.... ... if you had an allergy test done while she was on steroids you will get false results as the steroids will suppress the true allergy result. i am assuming you had a test done since you stated that food allergy was ruled out. do you have grass and/or trees around... could be environmental, but also did the vet do a skin scrape to check for mites/mange?

OP
S

sjones5254

Oct 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
gracie macy
oh she just turned 5 months old

[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
S

sjones5254

Oct 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
gracie macy
skin scrap is monday. we feed natures balance but tried several others thinking it was food. no luck. her ears are in great shape the hives mostly around her head and neck a few on her sides. this started about 3 weeks ago. we do have grass but its kept real short cause i can find my 4 pound chi if it gets tall lol. total i have 6 dogs but she is my only bulldog. here is my back yard only 2 trees

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
skin scrap is monday. we feed natures balance but tried several others thinking it was food. no luck. her ears are in great shape the hives mostly around her head and neck a few on her sides. this started about 3 weeks ago. we do have grass but its kept real short cause i can find my 4 pound chi if it gets tall lol. total i have 6 dogs but she is my only bulldog.

When you change food ... is it brand, grain or protein source?

OP
S

sjones5254

Oct 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
gracie macy
we use grain free. what we have now is natures balance synergy my gsd has ibs and cant have cheap food. but we tried no meat just potatoes and rice too dog food.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
have you tried giving her any benadryl for the itching? if she keeps scratching it is going to get worse / sore. if that does happen and she gets hotspots, scratches, infection or anything, I recommend Vetericyn - it heals it up right away. it wont stop the itching, but will come in handy with sores caused by scratching.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Hi and welcome! I'm sure you will get great advice as we have many very knowledgeable members. I do know of a bullie or two with seasonal allergies - Claritin helped them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Maybe........wipe her face with just plain wet cloth and dry. No baby wipes or anything like that. I hope you get some for sure answers when you get the results back. @sjones5254

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Yes the skin scraping is good b/c it will tell you mites/mange (hoping its not) She is still young for an allergy test but if the scraping is negative you may want to stop the allergy meds and get an allergy test to try and pinpoint the allergy so you can avoid it. You may need to re do the test at some point but right now I think she needs it...Hives really suck b/c when they scratch they can turn to sores which inturn can sometimes develop a staph infection. I would get some animax to use on the sore spots. Hope everything goes well and she gets better soon :hug: :hug:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.