Question??

tbhoffkins

Sep 4, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. B Dawg and Tallulah
Hi, my name is Teresa. I live in Florida. We have two Bullies. A male, 2-1/2yrs and a female 2yrs. I feed them Nature Variety Instinct which they both seem to enjoy very much. When we go walking, both become super focused on eating grass. They do not vomit or have diahrea issues. Can anyone tell me why they are so intent on eating the grass?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to EBN!

It is an obsession with most bullies (some dogs in general).... some vets will tell you it is an upset tummy others say it means a nutrient deficentcy and yet some think it means nothing. I think they just want to eat it.... as long as they are not getting sick from it - it should not be an issue. My girl can eat like a cow and graze on it, but my boy was very allergic and would vomit when he ate it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Good info from 2bullymama, and welcome to EBN!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
:welcome: We live in Florida too, can't help you with the grass eating question, Vegas is too busy eating SAND!!! :barf: I don't know why but he eats sand all the time. I did ask our vet and he did say may be missing a mineral, I personally think he does it to make me mad, lol

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hiya: I agree! When we take Jake on a walk,it's always a battle to keep him from grabbing and eating ANYTHING he can!

Hope you enjoy the forum! Would love some pics of your Bully's! :up:

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Hey Theresa - Where in Florida are you? I'm in Tallahassee. Look at it thisw way - at least he's not trying to eat cement blocks like Baby Zam wants to. LOL. :nope:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I can't help with your question, but wanted to say :welcome3:!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wilson is always grazing, just like a cow. He never throws up. I had another guy who passed recently and he usually threw up when he ate it. They eat it for a variety of reasons: upset tummy, they simply like it, they're bored, etc. The only thing that's harmful about it is if you have fertilizers on it. I just let Wilson graze as he chooses.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Grass is the least of my worries! Lets discuss my Victoria Secret underwear, lol. Welcome fo Ebn

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I looked it up for you and this is what I found:

Your beloved canine companion clearly isn’t a cow, so you might be confused when you see him eating grass. You might even be worried. Is he hungry? Bored? Sick? Will eating grass hurt him? First, rest assured that you’re not alone in your concern, especially if your dog is eating grass and vomiting.
Pica is the technical term for the disorder characterized by eating things that aren’t food. Sometimes pica indicates that your dog has some type of nutritional deficiency, though it is often simply a sign of boredom, especially when practiced by puppies and younger dogs. Dogs eating grass is actually quite common (it has been observed in wild dogs, too, and may be completely natural) and this form of pica does not usually cause too many problems. In fact, most veterinarians consider it a normal dog behavior. One small-scale study of 49 dog owners whose dogs had regular access to grass and other plants found that 79% of the dogs had eaten plants at some time. Another survey about plant-eating dogs found that grass was the most commonly eaten plant.

Seems that everything I've read so far says it's a fairly normal thing even seen in wild dogs ... and seems to end with if it isn't making them sick or harming them then it shouldn't be a worry but if you don't want them doing it to use distraction/re-direction training methods to change the behavior ... using the "leave it" command will teach them its an unwanted behavoir by you. Hope that helps

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.