Hello All, prospective owner

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
Hello everyone,

New to bulldogs, but not dogs in general. We've have/had Bullmastiffs (got bulldog in them :2thumbs:), English Mastiff, Rotties & Mutts. They have all been rescue dogs and we have been very grateful for each one of them. I am now on a mission to learn what I can to make a choice on getting an English Bulldog. My fiance and I along with our pack have met a fantastic EBD at the dog park and they all have a blast playing with each other.

I've spent a few weeks searching for information on the internet about the EBD breed because I want not only what is best for us, but more importantly what is best for the doggies. I've been lurking here for the last couple of days and very happy that there is so much information in one location. Of course I'm in information overload right now, but trying to learn so that we can make an informed decision on not only getting a EBD, but also the caring for them if we do get one and having them enjoy life in our current family structure.

My fiance has given explicit instructions that I am not to bring home another dog unless its a bulldog. Thus, my learning adventure began.

I have had the pleasure of talking with DesertSky and getting her take on some of my thousands of questions. While reading some of the post here and seeing the pics and vids have me sure that we are ready to take the plunge others have me taking two-steps back. While I hate to go into the section about this breeds health I know its a must do.

Sorry for getting long winded, I tend to do that from time to time. Please feel free to shoot me any questions or comments as I'm sure I will be pestering plenty of you folks.

Thanks!!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
:welcome3::welcome3::welcome3::welcome3::welcome3: Good luck, feel free to pester anyone that is why everyone is on here, to collectively help each other out.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Hello!! I think you have picked a great place to start to asking your questions! I was the same way when I first got my bully...I was asking a million questions and everyone here was so helpful!

I think it's important to realize that the posts you read on the forums concerning issues can seem overwhelming and make it appear that this breed has numerous problems but realize that ANY forum for any breed is going to have a host of health issues since that's precisely why people are there...to post their problems and find solutions. :) I think that makes it seem like there are more issues than there really are. While issues such as allergies are common in English Bulldogs, I know so many other dog owners with different breeds whose dogs have allergies too. I think if you find a good/reputable breeder, that will definitely help eliminate some of the health issues that this breed is prone to.

Although they are a bit of a higher maintenance breed and involve some extra care, it's totally worth it and I love taking care of my baby boy. I am even provided with endless entertainment when I need to do bully specific tasks such as cleaning his tail pocket. There is nothing funnier than having my boyfriend hold him, butt faced up, while he's squirming and playfully biting our arms and clamps down his little tail while I try to clean under it haha. It's quite amusing. :)

Pet insurance can always provide peace of mind too, if you are truly worried about something happening, but again, that's really the case with any pet you have. This is truly a special breed, though. They have personalities like no other. I hope you figure everything out and post pics if you get a puppy!

OP
DesertBum

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
Thanks for the Welcomes.

[MENTION=3445]Meggs19[/MENTION] you are correct about folks coming to the forums looking for health and guidance issues. Without knowing all the history of the different animals you can't make assumptions that it is just the nature of the breed. Thanks for reminding me of this!!! :) I do feel a lot more at ease.

I guess we have been lucky and that the dogs that we have had haven't had any "real" issues. I had one Bullmastiff who did have allergies. It was just a matter of switching up his food and all was well. Our current Bullmastiff has had a few more problems like valley fever, parvo, & drop jaw but he has survived it all and will be 11 years this Dec., of course he doesn't get around like he used to. The heart is there but the joints don't want to cooperate as well.

I have been reading some of the insurance threads here and getting some quotes as well.

Like I mentioned above all of our dogs have been rescues before, but thinking that it may be better for everyone if we went the puppy route this time. Our current family consist of the 11 yr Bullmastiff, 4 yr English Mastiff, 1.5 year Rottie. They all have a blast playing at the park with an EB every Sat. & Sun.. So my thought process is that the puppy would be used to having others to socialize with as opposed to getting a rescue that may already be set in his ways?

Last edited by a moderator:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to you and soon to be Bully baby...... fire away with your questions and the more you learn the more you are prepared for LOVING and being OWNED by a bulldog

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
:smileywelcome: You are certainly doing the right thing making an informative decision! I will tell you though that my bulldog owns me thoroughly and I wouldn't have it any other way!!

Sep 3, 2012
Lawrence, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Dent
Both of my EBs have been rescues, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I actually prefer a dog that is a couple years old so I am already well aware of any health issues and know how to handle them. Neither of my EBs were hard to break of bad habits, really. They are stubborn, but eventually they pick up on things and learn.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hiya: You've certainly discovered the best place to read and learn. Don't be afraid of what you will find out. A lot of us have healthy Bully's and by doing your research you are starting off on the right foot. We have always had rescues, including Rotties and Dobies. Jake is our first Bully and he is a treasure.

OP
DesertBum

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
I have always been more than happy with any rescue I have gotten, and would never pass on the opportunity to rescue a bullie if the situation is right for them and our family. I have looked at the AZ rescues listed and their description seems to rule us out for one reason or another. I will continue keeping my eyes open.

Is there a list of questions or qualifications to look for when wanting to make sure that a vet is "EB Qualified"? I've been browsing through the forum and doing searches but can't seem to find anything. I have no complaints about our current vet, but in reading here and other places I understand this breed requires a little more. Anyone can say yes to the question of do you treat them, but would hate to find out the hard way later that they didn't know something about this breed that leads to worse problems.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome [MENTION=5995]DesertBum[/MENTION] glad to see you are continuing your quest to see if an EB is the right breed for you!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
DesertBum

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
Welcome @DesertBum glad to see you are continuing your quest to see if an EB is the right breed for you!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Thanks Much DesertSky!!! I'm pretty sure that we will be having another furkid in the not too distant furture :) Just trying to learn the differences with this breed as opposed to what we have/had before.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
First of all welcome welcome! Always so happy to see someone doing there homework before "taking the plunge" :) Bulldogs can certainly be alot of work but in my opinion there is absolutely no better companion in this world than an English Bulldog. I have never loved a dog more than I love my Samson and I have never had a dog that is so devoted to me.

Regarding pet insurance, really do your homework! I have VPI and LUCKILY it has been VERY good to me. I got a policy with them when Samson was a puppy and am still with them today (Samson is 6.5 yrs old now). In these past 6.5 years they have honestly reimbursed me more than I ever paid in insurance premiums so it's just been great. BUT that is because the majority of the issues Samson has had have been covered, I have heard alot of people here mention common bulldog issues that VPI doesn't cover so I would just make sure whatever insurance company you pick covers alot of the issues you'd likely run into when owning a bully.

Good luck and don't be shy, ask whatever questions you have :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.