I am new to this site!

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
I am joining to learn from others, make friends and, hopefully help others as I learn too.
Utley is my 7 month old English Bulldog with lost of energy and love.

Looking for help on allergies, currenlty Utley has his second skin infection which I have come to think it is from a food allergy. There are so many foods that could be the cause of his allergy I'm stuck on what to do. I was feeding Utley Royal Canin for English Bulldog puppies until this past Friday. I switched his food to California Naturals, tried mixing in the Royal Canin but Utley would only eat the California Naturals and leave the other food. This morning his hives that were getting better but not gone, came back worse then before. Oh and I think I forgot to mention that he is on an antiboitic for the hives as well. I have since learned that the grain free dog foods are good if concerned about food allergies. I was going to switch Utley to a grain free dog food, Holistic Select however I did some more research and found that chaning his food too much may cause a food allergy reaction. Also there are items in this grain free food I am not sure if he can have, also I know there is a long list of foods that English Bulldogs cannot / should not have. Some of the ingredients I am unsure of are, fish (salmon, anchovys, and sardines), pumpkin, papaya and pomegranate.

Sorry I know this is a lot all at once. Looking for some advise from experienced English Bulldog owners.

Thanks!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
help is on the way, welcome to the site

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
hello and welcome to you and Utley.... after Chase, I assume?

Yes, Bulldogs tend to be very sensitive in the tummy .... what is the protein in the Cali. Naturals you are feeding... is it chicken? Most common food issues are grains and chicken but as with humans any of them can be allergic to anything. To give your boy some relief you can give him Benedryl... 1mg per pound up to 3x a day.

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
hello and welcome to the site. so the royal canin was doing ok but he got some hives but they were getting better. now royal canin is not a good food but if the california natural is causing alot more hives i would put him back on the royal canin or do a bland diet of beef and rice and see if he gets better. when he has gotten better then we can switch to something else. which california natural were you using. holistic select is not a grain free food. it has rice and other grains. i can help you but for now we need to get the hives under control in my opinion. stabilize and then treat so to speak. im so glad you found us.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm so glad you've posted and are introducing yourself! This journey will have many steps, but starting is the best thing you can do for Utley. I am thrilled you are looking for the right food for him. It's the toughest problem we all have..but we will all help! In fact..you might get sick of all our help!! :laugh: I have to defer to [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] for the help you need as far as food. She's awesome! Please keep us informed on his progress and :welcome: to our family!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN. Diet is the root of all evil with bullies.. lol ;) Finding the right food can be a challenge and it is not a quick process. You need to go slow , very slow, when switching foods. Then it takes several weeks to get the old food out of their system. THere are no quick fixes. But, having said that, you came to the right place to get the help your bully needs. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] is the best bully nutritionist Ive ever met so you are in good hands. Thanx so much for joining, your bully will thank you for it.. ;)

OP
Utley

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
Thanks for the advice!:) I have started mixing back in his original food. He is just about finished his medicine for the skin infection and I hate to have to put him on yet another one. Thanks again!:)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
:welcome: and remember that what works for one bully may not work for another bully. It really is an adventure each time finding out what is best for your bully. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] is our food guru so follow the advice she has given you and really all I can say is .. just take it one step at a time and you will eventually get there! :yes:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3: hope you will post some pics of Utley for us soon. Good luck in your search for the right food to help his allergies.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.