New English Bulldog owner seeks adivce

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone. I am a new Bullie owner and have had a pup since he was 9 1/2 weeks. He is 4 months old now ( 30lbs all his boosters and rabies) and I am trying to potty train him. I take him outdoors about 8 times daily and there are other dogs where I live ( condo) and everytime Buddy see's another dog or a person he runs up to them and wants to meet them and great them. He has a great disposition and everyone loves him but I was told by the breeder always use a harness with these dogs. I do- but when it is time to leave ( when we are outdoors) he doesn't want to leave. He will watch and wait until another dog or person is out of sight before he will want to continue on with me. Even worst he seems to want to leave with strangers which is a bit embarrassing. "He is like saying I want a new parent" :pouting: I wrote the breeder who tells me not to use a choke type collar and I have been researching which is best. I do not want this dog to run me. I love him to death and want him to be a good dog. One person told me in shows thats all they use is choke type collars but others say NEVER because of their already exsisting breathing problems. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone. Hero

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Awww, no he loves you!

I use a Mendota british style slip lead. I was told to not use a harness until they perfect walking with a regular collar because the harness is what makes them use more of their strength. Then for puppy class we had to use buckle collars and leads (no harnesses). Herman will be 6 months soon an I still havent gotten his harness yet, and he loves every dog and every person too. So when I go to the park, I use the buckle collar so he can play with people/dogs without getting choked. When just walking to go potty I use the Mendota (I have the 4' one and 6' one). Don't use a retractable leash, instead get a shorter leash for "get it done and go home walks" to keep him close to you.

And yes, my dog is strong too - bullies can be stubborn and will move when they are ready, and it's like trying to move a wall! Your dog is just very sociable :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=5580]elearn[/MENTION] has given you good advice. as for the wanting to leave with others, I find that a lot of dogs just want to be where ever they are not.... which may give the impression he does not want to be with you. If you have not done so, do the training classes it is a great way to bond and learn to use the right collar/harness for the situation you will be in. I trade off collars and harness depending on where we will be or what we are doing.

And.... :welcome3: to the wonderful world of bulldogs and EBN!!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
My puppy is very social to and she will walk up to anyone and everyone! Drives me crazy sometimes but at least they are good with people! I have never tried a choke collar so really cant help you there just wanted to say Hi and WELCOME!!!!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
First of all...:welcome:

We used a collar when Jake was young..and learning to behave. His first harness was a Gooby Big Dog Harness. I loved it because it has a built in handle on top. I could use it for correction and it is awesome. We have a collar on even with a harness when out because we have to display his tags..but now we only use a harness when walking.

By the way..Jake is STILL learning to behave! :D

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3: I cant really help with suggestions on a collar vs lead because HRH was an adult when we got her and she was trained and has always done fairly well with a harness.

She will pull hard toward the car when we are out and she decides she's ready to leave though. She knows that's the way home. :bully:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Awww, no he loves you!

I use a Mendota british style slip lead. I was told to not use a harness until they perfect walking with a regular collar because the harness is what makes them use more of their strength. Then for puppy class we had to use buckle collars and leads (no harnesses). Herman will be 6 months soon an I still havent gotten his harness yet, and he loves every dog and every person too. So when I go to the park, I use the buckle collar so he can play with people/dogs without getting choked. When just walking to go potty I use the Mendota (I have the 4' one and 6' one). Don't use a retractable leash, instead get a shorter leash for "get it done and go home walks" to keep him close to you.

And yes, my dog is strong too - bullies can be stubborn and will move when they are ready, and it's like trying to move a wall! Your dog is just very sociable :)

:muah2:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
:hiya: and :smileywelcome:

We had Brutus on a collar until about 4 months. He did really well on the collar with walking and listening well so then we went to the harness...Brutus was the same way and still he loves everyone not everybully LOL Hope to see some pictures of your little guy! Welcome aboard to the best bullie forum :)

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone. I think I might try a choke collar. One with the leather instead of the solid link metal. Appreciate it all the advice and welcome to the forum. Hero

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Welcome to EBN. I would not use a choke collar on a puppy, leather or chain. He is not that strong yet that you couldn't handle him with a normal collar. There must be something that you can keep his tention on you with. Treats or toy...

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks Risi. I am still on the fence about this. The breeder where I got him says NO never on an EBD but then a woman I speak with who is a local breeder and member of the BCA tells me YES thats what everyone use's in shows. I am going to give this some serious thought. I definatly love my puppy and would never want to do anything to jepordize his health or well being but I want him to listen to me when its time to go and leave a person who might be patting him or another person with their dog outside here where I live. He wants to please me his master. They all do. I just want him to be a good dog and not out of control or a dog I cannot handle. Thanks sincerly. Hero

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: Franklin is 19 weeks an he's the same way sometimes I use a collar sometimes I use a harness an when I want to walk away I just give him a little tug to break his train of thought sometimes I have to push his butt in the direction I want but he normally listens when I do the little tug. He's the sameway love's kids, dogs, people sometimes I think he would rather be with the kids then me but I would NEVER use a choke collar on a EBD he will learneventually practice make perfect oh an turkey lunch meat works great its lean an my dog can't have chicken or grain so lunch meat works great for training. GOOD LUCK an. :smileywelcome: to EBN you will find everyone is very nice a cares a lot about what you have to say.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN. I think you have gotten good advice so I'll not get into the collar vs Harness thingy.. lol But I'm glad you have joined and I would love to see pix of your stubborn little bully.. ;)

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks Bruce P Sure I hope this works. This is Buddy 8-26-2012 009.jpgbuddy10.jpg

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I use a choke chain on my bullie on dog shows, but that is totally different case. I didn't when he was a pup or don't use it training. It is only for shows and I take it off right away when outside the ring. In my opinion you need to have a control over your bullie before using a choke chain. He looks absolutely precious btw:heart:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.