Sophie says Hi! and has a question...

Court

Aug 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie
Hi All!
My name is Courtney and I am the proud momma of a 9 1/2 month bully named Sophie. I have never been a dog owner before, never mind a bulldog owner, so, well, I had no idea what I was missing! I love it! I have to admit, there are challenging times, but all worth it. She has such a personality. And it is just her and I, so she is my little buddy. So far, no real problems, just cherry eye, for which she has had surgery (on one, the other eye keeps going in and out)...that is, until yesterday. Fleas!! One of my puppy sitters has cats and apparently have recently had, what I am guessing is, an infestation. I also, the day before yesterday, had taken her to daycare for the first time. My vet office told me it has been a horrible season for fleas, basically she could have gotten them anywhere. I can't do the Advantix for at least another week since it has only been 2, but I did go out and get a comb, a spray, and wash just about everything I could. Then first thing this morning...I found 2 fleas on her (she is getting quite irritated with my almost obsessive inspections). I just don't want her to suffer and I feel like they are bothering her, although they should just fall off because she is medicated. Two customers at the pet store, while purchasing my spray and such, had many words of discouragement, to the effect of...you will never get rid of them and basically don't waste your money...as well as...spray your yard, they get them from being outside, but good luck...AAHHHH, I don't know what to do. Has she always had them and I never really noticed? Should I bomb? Any suggestions anyone has would be so appreciated? Also, will they be on me and I can spread them to others? And does that mean my sitter may have brought them? I am actually a bit stressed about this...should I really be or is this just part of it all, totally expected???
Thanks so much, Courtney and Sophie

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Oh, my. You could have read my mind!!!! We are now battling fleas as well. She very well could have brought them in from just going out to the yard because that is where they live and they get on her. We are having a lawn service come and do our yard. Just waiting for them to show up. I also got a spray for the dogs which is made from botanicals. We are on trifexis so it will not repel but is supposed to kill them. I bought a house spray as well and sprayed all of our carpets, furniture as well as in the garage because I noticed them jumping on me in there. I REALLY want to avoid bombing if at all possible and am trying to use sprays that are fairly natural. I sprayed the dogs yesterday and then brushed them to make sure it was all over (not on their faces) and I sprayed the basset again this morning because she has thicker fur. If you vacuum, empty your bag outside immediately as well. You can try a flea shampoo. It will kill any on her and then continue to repel for about a week (usually).

I still feel like they are all over me though! Doing the yard can REALLY help! Even if they come from a neighbor's yard, as soon as they hit yours, they will die.

OP
Court

Court

Aug 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie
Thank you so much for the input! My next move will be the yard, for sure.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Dawn dish detergent (original blue) will kill the fleas. I've used it on a 5 week old kitten and it's amazing..I used it as a shampoo. Leave it on for 10 minutes. If you put Vaseline in a circle to protect his eyes...not close to the eyes...the fleas will get stuck in the Vaseline and you can get them with tweezers. Since you wont want to lather up past their neck..the fleas will try to "move to safe territory"!! I did this twice for the kitten..but he was covered in them..make sure you rinse well..I would put him in a bathtub..with water and wet him thoroughly..then apply dawn.

OP
Court

Court

Aug 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie
Really?! Ok, will do.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We use Trifexis, as mentioned in a previous post. It is a once a month heart worm pill that also helps control fleas. The best part is that it keeps the flea eggs from hatching which can cause another wave of fleas once you get the first batch removed. Best of success to you and you Bull Baby!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
No fleas here in Arizona but wanted to say hello!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Never had a flea issue, but I have heard of the Dawn dish soap technique

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3:

Being one of the not so lucky people who is very allergic to insect bites I have found your best line of defense is the following three items used diligently. You Will eradicate the problem with diligence for a few weeks.

Dawn Dish Soap Shampoo as directed above. At Least Twice a week for three weeks. Follow with a conditioner to help her skin not dry out.

Moth Balls or flakes - in vacuum bag. And vacuum like a mad woman repeatedly. And Daily for weeks. Empty bag after each use and get it out of the house.

Diatomaceous Earth- spread outdoors ( do a search on it and see just what's recommended) you can also feed the food grade type of DE to Sophie with all sorts of health benefits. HRH gets a scoop with her breakfast every morning.

you can also spread the DE on carpets but they recommend overnight application and that could be inconvenient to say the least.

Good luck!

OP
Court

Court

Aug 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie
Wow, thanks so much for the info, and the hellos! So grateful, and will be starting immediately!

Sargesmom

Mar 7, 2012
Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Boy, Sarge and Splat (Lou Lou)
Hi Court and Sophie...love the name Sophie....good luck on the flea situation!!!!

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
No fleas here in SpoKane (that I am aware of ) but welcome to EBN!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome3:

Being one of the not so lucky people who is very allergic to insect bites I have found your best line of defense is the following three items used diligently. You Will eradicate the problem with diligence for a few weeks.

Dawn Dish Soap Shampoo as directed above. At Least Twice a week for three weeks. Follow with a conditioner to help her skin not dry out.

Moth Balls or flakes - in vacuum bag. And vacuum like a mad woman repeatedly. And Daily for weeks. Empty bag after each use and get it out of the house.

Diatomaceous Earth- spread outdoors ( do a search on it and see just what's recommended) you can also feed the food grade type of DE to Sophie with all sorts of health benefits. HRH gets a scoop with her breakfast every morning.

you can also spread the DE on carpets but they recommend overnight application and that could be inconvenient to say the least.

Good luck!

Great Advice Sweetie!! LOL (My wife) ;)

:smileywelcome: to EBN... glad to have you here but where are the pix.... we neeeeeeeed pix.... rule #1: post pix!!!... Thanx for joining ;)

OP
Court

Court

Aug 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie
009.jpgThis is a baby pic of Sophie

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.