New and need advice!

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Athens, West Virginia, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
Hi my name is Kelsey and I have a 10 week old bully named Atticus. First he's having some skin issues the past 2 weeks with red rash and some dry skin. He also eats royal Canin dog food and ive seen some posts where other dogs are having the same symptoms. He's on his second round of antibiotics, an antihistamine and a steroid spray for the red spots. I'm not noticing much of a difference. He is flea and disease free. He scratches so bad that I keep a shirt on him. My second question is there a particular place that sells clothes made for bulldogs. All of theshirys are too tight in the chest and the next size is way too big. Any and all advice is appreciated!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Hi and Welcome.................... Carolina Pet Pantry is linked to this site and they sell the bulldog shirts

second his issues are probably coming from the food, I suggest Fromm they have a puppy food and an all age food I use Beef Fritatta flavor right now. And you can order that from Pet Flow, free shipping on orders mention EBN or order over 49 pounds. set up a schedule for regular shipments

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I am going to say FOOD too. There is a food rating system here on EBN that might be helpful. I would go grain free for sure and maybe eliminate chicken as well and see how Atticus does. You do have to remember to do a sloooow transition by replacing only 1/4 of his food then to 1/2 then to 3/4 then all the way and that should take a couple of weeks. After you switch, wait 6 weeks to see how your pup does on any food. Any reactions from the old food need to get out of his system before you can see the pros/cons of the new one. Food is a HUGE thing with these guys as they do get food allergies. Being on a premium food will do wonders for them. They usually cost more, but you are feeding less plus less visits to the vet so it balances out.

Here is a link to the dog food ratings: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=219-Dog-Food-Ratings

Here is one for nutrition: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=194-dog-food-and-nutrition

You also might want to think about what you might be washing his bedding in or cleaning your floors. That could also be causing a reaction. Good luck and I hope you figure it out soon!

OP
KelseyandAtticus

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
I've pretty much ruled out laundry and cleaning as far as reactions go. He is all white and when he flares up he gets very pink and his eyes get really red. It happens when we're outside but I'm not sure if it's the outdoors or just bc it's about 30 minutes to an hour after he eats

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
He is still young so i am going to bet its the food but it could also be enviromental allergies...I would definatley use the food ratings as a guide in choosing a better food....I use Fromm Beef Frittatta and many bullies do very good on it...I would go grain free and chicken free and give sometime to see how it goes...Im not sure if he is too young for Benadryl let me tag some peeps for you [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
So, yes, that makes sense that it is likely not the laundry or cleaning products. Probably a good bet that it won't be carpets, etc because of the reaction not being constant. I will still say FOOD is a likely culprint. Could be environmental and the ways to find out is just keep up the shirts to see if that helps at all or get him allergy tested and I suspect he is still too young for that. Does he have watery eyes? Any rash or discoloration between the toes? Did your vet think it was an allergy issue?

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hi Kelsey,

Welcome to our site. First off you will see that there are many different opinions. You are encouraged to read as many of them as you can, do your own research and even connect with long time bullie owners and breeders and vets about what is BEST for your dog.

I am a breeder and I am a believer in Royal Canin as well as many other dog foods. Elsewhere on this site is a link to the dog food list. The list is not a scientific list, but with so many people using and evaluating the different foods, it's about as scientific as possible.

There does seem to be a common issue with Bulldogs. Most, not all, have an allergy sensitivity to chicken. And many of the dog foods have chicken, chicken meal or chick by-product as an ingredient. Check the bag carefully. Canin DOES make a chicken free dog food.

Now the second sensitivity that seems to be VERY common in bullies is grains. Again, grains are a filler used in many dog foods.

If your Bullie has any sensitivity to either of these, that could be any issue.

First step is to check WHAT is in your brand of dog food for chicken or grain, and then ALSO LOOK AT ANY SNACKS OR TREATS YOU ARE GIVING?

To feed a chicken free, grain free kibble and then give a snack treat that has those items in it is defeating the cause.

I would ALSO STRONGLY suggest going to the vet for a skin scraping. Another VERY common condition with ALL dogs, but mostly suseptable with Bullies is a skin problem caused by mites. EVERY DOG IN THE WORLD HAS MITES !

PERIOD.

The Bulldog and a few other breeds can very easily have a flair up caused by the mites. Young puppies are most susceptible while the immune system is developing. A simple skin scraping can tell if the mites are present and to what degress. The condition is called demodicosis.

I have had several dogs now that have had this and a few of my puppies also have had it. It is a very common problem and is ABSOLUTELY TREATABLE. One of my puppies had a horrible condition all over her back. After treatment of Cephalexin and Ivermectin, her coat completely came back...even better than it was before. She recovered so well that a few months later I was able to enter her into dog shows. The condition never came back.

So while I do believe that food does play a role in skin conditions, allergies and mites ALSO play a big role as well.

It is a process of elimination and not just picking the first suggestion or opinion.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of more assistance.

Good Day~

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
You are here! I haven't seen you for a while! Sorry, this is OT lol

Hi Kelsey,

Welcome to our site. First off you will see that there are many different opinions. You are encouraged to read as many of them as you can, do your own research and even connect with long time bullie owners and breeders and vets about what is BEST for your dog.

I am a breeder and I am a believer in Royal Canin as well as many other dog foods. Elsewhere on this site is a link to the dog food list. The list is not a scientific list, but with so many people using and evaluating the different foods, it's about as scientific as possible.

There does seem to be a common issue with Bulldogs. Most, not all, have an allergy sensitivity to chicken. And many of the dog foods have chicken, chicken meal or chick by-product as an ingredient. Check the bag carefully. Canin DOES make a chicken free dog food.

Now the second sensitivity that seems to be VERY common in bullies is grains. Again, grains are a filler used in many dog foods.

If your Bullie has any sensitivity to either of these, that could be any issue.

First step is to check WHAT is in your brand of dog food for chicken or grain, and then ALSO LOOK AT ANY SNACKS OR TREATS YOU ARE GIVING?

To feed a chicken free, grain free kibble and then give a snack treat that has those items in it is defeating the cause.

I would ALSO STRONGLY suggest going to the vet for a skin scraping. Another VERY common condition with ALL dogs, but mostly suseptable with Bullies is a skin problem caused by mites. EVERY DOG IN THE WORLD HAS MITES !

PERIOD.

The Bulldog and a few other breeds can very easily have a flair up caused by the mites. Young puppies are most susceptible while the immune system is developing. A simple skin scraping can tell if the mites are present and to what degress. The condition is called demodicosis.

I have had several dogs now that have had this and a few of my puppies also have had it. It is a very common problem and is ABSOLUTELY TREATABLE. One of my puppies had a horrible condition all over her back. After treatment of Cephalexin and Ivermectin, her coat completely came back...even better than it was before. She recovered so well that a few months later I was able to enter her into dog shows. The condition never came back.

So while I do believe that food does play a role in skin conditions, allergies and mites ALSO play a big role as well.

It is a process of elimination and not just picking the first suggestion or opinion.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of more assistance.

Good Day~

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello my friends.....I'm BACK !!!!!!

G'day~

OP
KelseyandAtticus

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
He had a skin scraping last week and it came back good. Our vet is a bulldog breeder and recommended the royal Canin. He hasn't hAd an allergy test yet. But he has had chicken treats. I'll stop the treats now! Is there anything you would recommend to help with the itching

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, normally, I would say maybe ask your vet about benedryl but I am not sure about using that for a puppy. I would call the vets office and just tell them he is itching so bad and that you need something to help with that while he heals and ask for a recommendation. Also, as far as food, I would do my own research no matter how much I trust my vet. There also independent sites that break it down for you like dogfoodadvisor.com. It is good you found a bully vet but it is always better to look at the ratings, reviews and breakdowns of any food you are using. I have not personally tried the food the are using so I can't really comment on that but I do know that not all foods are good for all bullies and what works for one may not work for another. If your guy is a pup, then allergy testing probably wouldn't be reliable yet anyway.

Take a peek at that nutrition link I sent and see what a difference the right food will make. Some of the personal stories there are very similar to your situation.

Good luck and I hope we were able to help a bit! At least to steer you in the right direction to make your own choices.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hi and welcome! From my boys' experience, finding the right food will mean the world of a difference. Compare the ingredients between the highly rated food and Royal Canin, do an independent research on what goes in the different brands and level, and you'd be surprised at what you'll find.

If Fromm isn't available in your area, I've heard that Natural Variety Instict is a good one to try too, the lamb limited ingredient flavour I believe.

OP
KelseyandAtticus

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
Thanks everyone. He is on an antihistamine for the next two weeks. It makes him very sleepy so he's either asleep or itching. I don't want to use anything from pet stores bc I'm afraid of making it worse. He has a prescribed shampoo and betagen spray. I just wondered if there was anything else I could do to make him more comfortable in the mean time

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
If he is on an antihistamine already, I really don't think there is much more that you can do to help him be more comfortable. Please keep us posted on how he does! Good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.