New and need advice!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
RC is not a good food.... as others have said check out out food ratings list as for the Benedryl.... 1mg per pound of dog 2x a day will help with some of the ichting

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm sorry...Royal Canin is crap. Of course, you don't have to take anyone's word for this. You can first read the article on understanding dog food labels..then study the labels as to what's in Royal Canin..then a high rated food. It's pretty obvious why Royal Canin is so poorly thought of. And it's NOT just OUR list..you can check other sites that rate foods. Like..Dog Food Advisor. unfortunately most vets aren't educated on foods..except by sales reps that visit their offices. Just do the best you can for your bully..and Royal Canin is NOT it!

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
I second the food allergy. A good food is probably the most important thing you can do for your baby. If the scratching is horrible, carolina pet pantry sells allergy socks that will save the skin. My Zoey also has environmental allergies and needs to wear them sometimes.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN.... I'll not try to add to all the great info already given and just say Im glad you came here for help. Some very experienced bully people have already given you enough food for thought that should get you headed in the right direction... Thanx for joining... and we really do need pix.. lol Thanx again. :)

OP
KelseyandAtticus

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Athens, West Virginia, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
Thanks everyone! After all of the great advice yesterday we are switching Atty's food. I know it has to be a gradual process so hopefully now we're on the right track. We stopped the treats and my boy made it through the night with no new breakouts or scratches! Pics coming soon... I was just so worried about him yesterday

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm sorry...Royal Canin is crap.

What she said .... :yes:

I'm so glad that you've decided to switch foods ... what did you decide to go with in the end??

Oh .... and a big :welcome: to you and your bully-baby!!! :hiya:

OP
KelseyandAtticus

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Athens, West Virginia, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
Right now were trying the blue buffalo basics bc the lowest rating I found was four stars, it was at our petsmart, and it seemed allergy friendly....if anyone has any recommendations on a food I would appreciate it. Also im having a hard time uploading pics im on my iPad but I've linked my Facebook account it's loaded with pictures...please feel free to add me also :0)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Good for you on the food switch! It may take a few to find the right one for your Bully's ..but you've made a great start! I can't do pics from iPad either. If you have tapatalk you can through that. :up:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Hello n welcome to ebn. I was away n missed most of this but you have gotten good advice. If you are already swirlching to blue buffalo i would continue with that n see how it goes. With bullies I would maybe not do any treats or anything else to you get the itching stopped n off meds or very little antihistamime n then slowly add in maybe some fruit or non chicken good treats n see how he does. Good luck n if you need some food help I'm around

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Right now were trying the blue buffalo basics bc the lowest rating I found was four stars, it was at our petsmart, and it seemed allergy friendly....if anyone has any recommendations on a food I would appreciate it. Also im having a hard time uploading pics im on my iPad but I've linked my Facebook account it's loaded with pictures...please feel free to add me also :0)

[MENTION=5667]KelseyandAtticus[/MENTION]...PetsMart carries Avoderm which has 2 or 3 grain-free flavors and is great for skin
and coat conditions, I've got my new Bully on the Red Meat & Meal, Grain-free and doing well, is his 3rd
​food trial.

L

Lucy-licious

I really tend not to get involved on food and allergy questions...I just wanted to say you are not alone, I have an allergic puppy too and we are just clearing up his reaction to his last food by feeding bland diet, before we change him onto the next choice...this way I can be sure that any reaction is due to the new food and not being carried over from the last. Just a way I have chosen to do it...and that the hives are already clearing up just 1 day off his old food does confirm that it was the food that caused this.

:welcome: by the way

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
HI,

Is it possible for you to post some pics? A picture is worth a 1000 words.

Besides known allergies, Bullies can be allergic to many diff items; plastic, wool, grass, etc.

The process of elimination is a difficult process. First is to rule out any medical issues.
Beyond that it is a slow process of elimination.

Keep track in a journal of what changes you make and what works and not works.

Good Day~

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
I have nothing to add to these wonderful posts other than add to what abebd. Stated. I was buying my food from a small business owner and she kept pusing snack samples. Soon Arnold, who has a beautiful coat, had sores. I took away the snacks, quit taking samples, gave an nice cheap oatmeal bath and wala(sp?) His skin improved quickly. Welcome to Ebn!

Members online

No members online now.