The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New and need advice!

Hi and welcome! From my boys' experience, finding the right food will mean the world of a difference. Compare the ingredients between the highly rated food and Royal Canin, do an independent research on what goes in the different brands and level, and you'd be surprised at what you'll find.

If Fromm isn't available in your area, I've heard that Natural Variety Instict is a good one to try too, the lamb limited ingredient flavour I believe.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Bulldog(s) Names
    Atticus
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone. He is on an antihistamine for the next two weeks. It makes him very sleepy so he's either asleep or itching. I don't want to use anything from pet stores bc I'm afraid of making it worse. He has a prescribed shampoo and betagen spray. I just wondered if there was anything else I could do to make him more comfortable in the mean time

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

If he is on an antihistamine already, I really don't think there is much more that you can do to help him be more comfortable. Please keep us posted on how he does! Good luck!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

RC is not a good food.... as others have said check out out food ratings list as for the Benedryl.... 1mg per pound of dog 2x a day will help with some of the ichting
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

I'm sorry...Royal Canin is crap. Of course, you don't have to take anyone's word for this. You can first read the article on understanding dog food labels..then study the labels as to what's in Royal Canin..then a high rated food. It's pretty obvious why Royal Canin is so poorly thought of. And it's NOT just OUR list..you can check other sites that rate foods. Like..Dog Food Advisor. unfortunately most vets aren't educated on foods..except by sales reps that visit their offices. Just do the best you can for your bully..and Royal Canin is NOT it!

Bully's Bikes and Books! Zoey1974's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey
    Likes (Received)

I second the food allergy. A good food is probably the most important thing you can do for your baby. If the scratching is horrible, carolina pet pantry sells allergy socks that will save the skin. My Zoey also has environmental allergies and needs to wear them sometimes.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

to EBN.... I'll not try to add to all the great info already given and just say Im glad you came here for help. Some very experienced bully people have already given you enough food for thought that should get you headed in the right direction... Thanx for joining... and we really do need pix.. lol Thanx again.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Atticus
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone! After all of the great advice yesterday we are switching Atty's food. I know it has to be a gradual process so hopefully now we're on the right track. We stopped the treats and my boy made it through the night with no new breakouts or scratches! Pics coming soon... I was just so worried about him yesterday

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    I'm sorry...Royal Canin is crap.
    What she said ....

I'm so glad that you've decided to switch foods ... what did you decide to go with in the end??

Oh .... and a big to you and your bully-baby!!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Atticus
    Likes (Received)

Right now were trying the blue buffalo basics bc the lowest rating I found was four stars, it was at our petsmart, and it seemed allergy friendly....if anyone has any recommendations on a food I would appreciate it. Also im having a hard time uploading pics im on my iPad but I've linked my Facebook account it's loaded with pictures...please feel free to add me also :0)

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Good for you on the food switch! It may take a few to find the right one for your Bully's ..but you've made a great start! I can't do pics from iPad either. If you have tapatalk you can through that.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Hello n welcome to ebn. I was away n missed most of this but you have gotten good advice. If you are already swirlching to blue buffalo i would continue with that n see how it goes. With bullies I would maybe not do any treats or anything else to you get the itching stopped n off meds or very little antihistamime n then slowly add in maybe some fruit or non chicken good treats n see how he does. Good luck n if you need some food help I'm around

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads