Newbie here......

SarahMarie82

Aug 2, 2012
West Haven, CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Jelly Belly AKA Belly, JB, Pig and Rocco
Hey everyone ! Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Sarah, from West Haven CT. I have a 9 yr old English female name Jelly Belly, but we call her Belly or JB or Pig and a soon to be 2 yr old English Mix male named Rocco.

Does anyone else have a senior Bully? I'm having a few issues with Belly and I'm really not quite sure what to do about it. Recently she has started to lose her vision, and all of a sudden she wants absolutely NOTHING to do with me. Won't let me pet her, and WILL NOT let me take her out. She stays under my bed allllll day. My boyfriend and I have to actually lift up the bed to get her out. If she does come out on her own, if i even speak to her, she will just run right back under the bed. Now when I come home from work, OF COURSE theres pee all over my floor, because I can not get this dog to come out for the life of me.

Help Please ! ! ! !

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
[MENTION=5603]SarahMarie82[/MENTION] I'm so sorry that's happening. I have no experience with this, but I wanted to say WELCOME and I'm sure someone will be along shortly that can give you advice. Poor Jelly Belly, if I was losing my vision, I imagine I would be very scared also. :hug:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3: I can't help with your troubles with Belly, but wanted to welcome you anyway. I'm sure someone with experience with older bullies will chime in soon.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Welcome Sarah and JB. We are glad you have joined us here! I am glad you have jumped right in with a question but feel free to post to any of our discussions.

I am not sure what to do about Belly, but I would consider taking her to the vet. I don't know much about blindness but I can only imagine that it can be frightening when she probably doesn't quite understand what is happening.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome! I just saw your other post and that was going to be my suggestion was to start a topic for your question so that is good. Very happy to have you here with us and I hope we can help!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

SENSEI

Aug 4, 2012
Coachella Valley, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella & Tyke the Frenchie
I have read that with a dog that is losing their vision, you don't want to move furniture. But you will want to keep the floor clear and not add any new obstacles. I know this isn't much but I hope it helps.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
:welcome: Sarah. I think if it were me. I'd see if she'd rather be in a crate where she might feel safe. My dogs have a crate inside a penned in area so they can choose to sleep in the crate or not. You could line the crate with towels and wash them as needed. Don't know if wearing a diaper is an option but if she is not supervised perhaps not as some dogs might eat their diaper and cause blockage. Hope you get more responses. I hope to be lucky enough for my bullies to make it to a ripe old age of 9 so I'm curious to see how others deal with their senior bullies.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN.... It makes me sad to hear about JB. I hope you find a reasonable solution. Thanx for joining.

L

Lucy-licious

Im thinking she is frightened because her sight is going...it sounds like she is heading for safety. Maybe she got spooked by something because of her sight changes. I would go to the vet and see if they have any suggestions. Have you tried bringing her out into the house on the leash and keeping her close while you move around so that she can get a feel for things again. I'm really just making this up but it's something I would maybe try xx

OP
SarahMarie82

SarahMarie82

Aug 2, 2012
West Haven, CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Jelly Belly AKA Belly, JB, Pig and Rocco
Thanks for all of the responses.....

I deffinately will not be moving any furniture, thats for sure. She pretty much knows her way around, once in a while bumping into things (so sad). I do have a crate, but she only goes in it when she wants to be alone, for example if Rocco harrasses her, seeing that he's still a pup. The one thing that really bothers me is that she will go to my boyfriend, she will let him pet her and take her out. I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that earlier. It just doesn't make sense to me.

We went to the vet about a month ago, he said she's in awesome shape which I was happy to hear. He had also given me eye drops to keep her from having dry eye. She's been on quite a few drops in last year. Nothing really seems to help, but then again, she is supposed to have them 2x's a day and she's only been getting them once a day, seeing that the majority of the time she's under the bed.

Now my boyfriend keeps telling me that she's just separating herself from me, because he thinks since she's getting older she realizes what is happening to her......i don't think i really believe that she's separating herself from me. But then again who knows, these little stinkers are so intelligent, they're always surprising you.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I wanted to welcome you. Sorry to hear about Jelly Belly

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to the site... I have no words of wisdom for you in relation to the vision issue, but wish you the best and tell you Jelly is a sweet ole girl

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well hello and welcome to ebn. i hope you get your issue straightened out for sure.

Jenni

Jul 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey and Ruger
O! Sarah and JB! I'm so sorry! I am a newbie too, LOVE EBN! my heart is breaking for you.
Could JB be jealous of Rocco?
My BF makes fun of me, because I believe dogs have feelings, so if not jealous maybe there is smthg to what your BF said. My heart goes out to you!
Thoughts and prayers on the way!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.