newbie looking for advice

gra76

Aug 4, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
hello all my name is graham im from north wales ive been looking for an english bulldog for a while and a friend of a friend has a 4 year old male named buster she wants rehoming . hes a realy handsome looking fella and loving the questions i need answering are simply i have a two and a half year old son and was wondering how buster might be with him and will he even take to my son . also i think he lives most of his life outside and if i was to take him he would be living in doors with me as he would definately be apart of my family and would be going everywhere with me im just woundering how he would be making the transition from living outdoors to indoors thank you for your time in advance and any advice would be grately appreciated :D

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
First off, welcome! Does your friend who is rehoming him have kids or has he been around any that you know of? Are there behavioral issues as to why they are rehoming or is it financial or what? Generally bullies tend to love kids BUT not knowing the background of this one there is no way to say. 2 1/2 is a tough age if this pup hasnt been socialized around them so I would def be extremely cautious as you get to know him and keep him separated unless completely supervised. We almost took in a bully many years back that was loving and in need of lots of spoiling to say the least BUT as soon as we brought him in we saw that he wanted to bite at my daughter. We couldnt wait for that to happen so we found him a home with someone who did not have kids. How wonderful that you are willing to take in this baby and give him the love that he should have had all these years. Bullies are not outdoor pups. :( As for the transitioning indoors, you will get much help here. I honestly dont have much advice but what worked for us with all our potty training was treats treats treats. Everytime they potty outside, give a treat and they learn FAST what to do to get another.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: first hello and I think it's awesome you want to take him in. You have to ask some questions has he ever been around kids how is he with other people does he have any issues like food aggression with a two year old you have to be careful. An he's an outside dog so your probably going to have to potty train him I just think if you Keep your dog outside why have one at all but that's just my opinion hope everything goes well good luck

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
[MENTION=5622]gra76[/MENTION] I think he would transition to an indoor dog in seconds!!! Bulldogs really should not be outdoor dogs, its very dangerous. In regards to getting along with your son, I cannot speak from personal experience as I don't have kids, but bulldogs are so sweet, I don't see why him and your son wouldn't be best friends. Plus a lot of people here have children and bulldogs that will come along soon.

OP
G

gra76

Aug 4, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
sorry thought i had said lol yes she has 2 young kids of her own who buster has been brought up with and been around she has said that he is great with her kids and i dont think she would have offered him to me if he was at all nasty she knows i have a young son . the reason she is selling is purely financial . im taking my son to meet him tomorrow to see how he takes to him any tips i should look out for hope it all goes ok as i think hes great and will go everywhere i go

OP
G

gra76

Aug 4, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
:butterfly: first hello and I think it's awesome you want to take him in. You have to ask some questions has he ever been around kids how is he with other people does he have any issues like food aggression with a two year old you have to be careful. An he's an outside dog so your probably going to have to potty train him I just think if you Keep your dog outside why have one at all but that's just my opinion hope everything goes well good luck

i totally agree i realy dont like the fact he is outside he would probably end up sleeping on the bed at night lol my mane concern obviously is how he will be with my son even though he has been around kids his whole life and apparently is good with them would he be the same with my son

OP
G

gra76

Aug 4, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
@gra76 I think he would transition to an indoor dog in seconds!!! Bulldogs really should not be outdoor dogs, its very dangerous. In regards to getting along with your son, I cannot speak from personal experience as I don't have kids, but bulldogs are so sweet, I don't see why him and your son wouldn't be best friends. Plus a lot of people here have children and bulldogs that will come along soon.

can i just ask what you mean by its dangerous for them to be outside do you mean it sends them mad or do you mean because of health issues . thanks

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
[MENTION=5622]gra76[/MENTION] Health issues. They have poor breathing as it is, so when they're outside in the heat they can get heat stroke. Heat stroke is one of the common things that kill bulldogs. My Lilly looovves to lay in the sun in the dining room and she won't even realize how hot she is. I have to make her get up and move to another room.

OP
G

gra76

Aug 4, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
@gra76 Health issues. They have poor breathing as it is, so when they're outside in the heat they can get heat stroke. Heat stroke is one of the common things that kill bulldogs. My Lilly looovves to lay in the sun in the dining room and she won't even realize how hot she is. I have to make her get up and move to another room.
thanks for clearing that up for me . yes ive been doing a lot of reading up on the whole breathing issues that they have just found out that hes an old tyme english bulldog i believe they dont have as many health problems is this correct

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
thanks for clearing that up for me . yes ive been doing a lot of reading up on the whole breathing issues that they have just found out that hes an old tyme english bulldog i believe they dont have as many health problems is this correct

I do believe an olde english has a longer snout so their breathing wouldn't be as tough.

Be sure to get some pictures for us when you bring your son tomorrow...we looooove pictures here :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Correct, most Olde English Bulldogges have longer snouts, are taller & less fat and are
generally more active & agile because of these traits than English Bulldogs.

Not sure if they are okay to be outside vs inside dogs but I'm sure will be healthier and
most definitely MORE happy living inside w/you & your son. It will create a closer bond
between all of you much faster.

How wonderful you are to give an older Bully a home, I've done the same with a 5-6 y/o
Bully just one month ago, my Hubby was astonished when I told him this last night, it
really feels like he's been in forever!

I say, go for it, most Bullies are surprising gentle w/children, just observe closely, always
supervise and be teaching your son the do's and don'ts of acceptable interaction with dogs.

A good book/video might help, I'm sure there are great suggestions here on EBN.

Post pics of your son, your bully and yourself...we LOVE pics...and...WELCOME!

OP
G

gra76

Aug 4, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Correct, most Olde English Bulldogges have longer snouts, are taller & less fat and are
generally more active & agile because of these traits than English Bulldogs.

Not sure if they are okay to be outside vs inside dogs but I'm sure will be healthier and
most definitely MORE happy living inside w/you & your son. It will create a closer bond
between all of you much faster.

How wonderful you are to give an older Bully a home, I've done the same with a 5-6 y/o
Bully just one month ago, my Hubby was astonished when I told him this last night, it
really feels like he's been in forever!

I say, go for it, most Bullies are surprising gentle w/children, just observe closely, always
supervise and be teaching your son the do's and don'ts of acceptable interaction with dogs.

A good book/video might help, I'm sure there are great suggestions here on EBN.

Post pics of your son, your bully and yourself...we LOVE pics...and...WELCOME!

well we are going to see him properly midday tomorrow so its a 15 and a half hour wait now lol im hoping hes going to love us as much as im sure we will him when we meet and thank you i would like to rehome an adult dog before considering a puppy as cute as they are

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well if he has been around kids then that is good. I would still take it slow cuz any animal can be dangerous, until you really know him anyhow. My bullies r fabulous with my kids, I have an almost 4 year old and a1 1/2 year old as well. they do plow thru the kids doomed when exited but nothing too crazy. Can't wait for pics! Find out what good they feed and if its not a great brand you might want to consider a slow switch to something better. Food makes a huge diff in these babies lives.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
G

gra76

Aug 4, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
what type of food would you suggest i want to get it right so that he is a healthy and happy fella . ive only ever had german shepherds and rotties and they would eat anything lol

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome3: I sure hope this works out for you. There is no love like bully love!

As far as what to feed, your choices are different there than here. [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious[/MENTION] may be able to give you some food advice with what's available and good in the UK.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online