New bulldog puppy

Melissa B

Jul 26, 2012
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Mickey
Hello everyone!

On Monday, we are picking up our bulldog puppy. I have started to puppy proof my house and get some of the things that I need. Any advice for a new bulldog owner?

Thanks!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hi Melissa and :welcome: to EBN! I've gone through 3 puppies and here's my tips.

1. Patience, they're like raising a baby.
2. Change your food from Royal Canine (that's a lousy food for bullies).
3. Bulldogs do not do well in heat and they're # cause of death is heat stroke.
4. If you're crate training, put the crate next to your bed at night so when he/she starts to whine, reach down and touch him throgh the slates - they just need to know you're there.
5. Be prepared to be doing laundry just about every night for the next 3-4 months depending on who fast he/she potty trains.
6. Puppies go through their teething up to 5 months. First getting their teeth (those super razor sharp puppy teeth) then they those those and get their adult's in.
7. When potty training, once he/she gets up, get him/her outside immeidately. The same goes with playing. Many potty mishaps happen because we don't get them out.

Oh there's a lot more but I'm short on time so I'll let other's chime in. There's some great articles here on food and puppy training. Plus they're a new group here just for puppies. Let me tag [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious[/MENTION] and she can point you in that direction.

Can't wait to see your new bully!!!! :up:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack

Handiangie

Jul 12, 2012
Northern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma
If you have a swimming pool PLEASE make sure it is fenced! Just some advice that might be of help to someone who may overlook it. BULLY'S DON'T SWIM!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Havent much in the puppy advice since I have never actually had a bully puppy but welcome! Hope you know the rules.... we need our puppy picture fix around here so make sure to have that camera handy at all times. :)

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
No more advice but welcome!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Nothing to add eather, but :welcome: and ofcourse :pics:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN I hope we will be able to follow your new babies adventures thru your pix. Thanx so much for joining and you couldn't have found a better place for a new bully paw rent :)

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
:welcome: You already got some great advice! When we got Bruin as a puppy and he was going through his biting stage, we just went and got another puppy, b/c we thought that would help with his energy and nipping (they could take it out on each other)...but then we just had 2 puppies biting us. So moral of the story, don't go get another puppy right away :)

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
How awesome for you! We just picked up our new puppy 2 weeks ago and its definitely been a learning period! This is our first dog together as a couple (my husbands first dog ever) so we have had to learn so much. But it is totally worth it! The first night was hell but it got better quickly. They say it is like having a baby but faster. Seamus is 13 weeks old and is already sleeping around 5 hours a night, which is amazing. We crate train him and he is doing great. Already learning how to go outside to the potty (even though we live on the 7th floor of an apartment building). He has only had a few accidents in the house and most were my fault. Only 1 poo accident and that was the first night so it was probably a combination of nerves and anxiety.

Good luck with your new puppy! Can't wait to see pictures!

csandvik

Jul 3, 2012
Woodbridge, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona
Congrats! Some useful tips:
1. Get some baby wipes for general cleaning of the face wrinkles and any other parts.
2. Get a good bone or five. No rawhide.
3. We used a harness for walking. Fiona choked easily and would spit up.
4. Get good nutritional food and treats. Beware of wheat, corn, and soy. Bullies don't do well with beef products (sometimes). Both of ours do not do well with it.
5. It has been mentioned, but PATIENCE is a much needed quality in a bully owner. They will out "stubborn" you.
6. For the first week, I would keep him/her in the house to get to know their domain, then socialization is key, with both people and dogs.
7. Get a vet that knows the breed. I can't say that enough.
8. Enjoy the puppy and give it a lot of kisses!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome, cannot wait to meet your pup!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions