Hello, new member need advice

Sooner

Jul 22, 2012
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Hello my name is Sean,

I run a local store in my community in which our town humane society has an account. I had asked the head of the humane society to keep an eye out for a bulldog. I got a call this past Tuesday saying she had a English bulldog who was in Alabama and set to be euthanized Friday 7/20. I obviously said save him without hesitation. I know there is a wealth of knowledge on this website but a little pressed for time as he will be arriving middle of this week, I could be reading forever. He was picked up as a stray and no one claimed him. He is approx 4 years old has some pressure sores, his evaluation was good. So my question is has anyone had an experience with rescuing a stray is there things I should immediately do besides vet visit. This is my wifes and mine first english bulldog. We have no other dogs currently. I'm nervous yet excited I hope he's a mush. Thank you for any input.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Bravo to you! We have many people who work with rescues and rescue. I'll tag some for you..hang in there..[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]...[MENTION=1930]RescueMe[/MENTION]...[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION]. ...[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]. [MENTION=2714]HrsDiva[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
oh my God bless you and your wife, lots of good folks on here rescue, you will get lots of help come along shortly, hang loose.

:smileywelcome:

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
I just adopted a 4 year old english bulldog about 2 months ago...

Most importantly, do NOT take him to a dog park or put him in extremely social situations quickly. Sometimes when people get new dogs they get excited and want to take them to the park or to meet their whole family. The most important thing is to let him know you're his new parents, and he's safe with you guys. Let him get used to your house and your rules for a few weeks. Set up boundaries (will he be allowed to sleep in your bedroom? on the couch?) and stick to them! Dog's do best when rules are clear.

Bring a blanket that smells like your house to the rescue to pick him up, put it with him in the car on the way home so he can get used to the new place on the way.

Congrats and thanks for choosing adoption!!!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: how exciting for you, yet an anxious time too! Best wishes for a long and happy life together.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
First welcome to the site and bless you for saving this boy. [MENTION=5363]Taylor[/MENTION] has some good advise above, and I would add when you are training them and while they are getting accustomed to you and your house I would not let them sleep on your bed. This puts them on the same level as you and you want to be top dog. I would get a wire carte for him to sleep in and make it his place. All of mine sleep in crates and they love it and will go in there when they want some quiet time. If you have children I would watch them closely with them until you can trust him. When you can please post some pics of your new bully. Plus I almost forgot, watch them in the heat because bullies can overheat quickly.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
No advice to add but congratulations! Welcome to ebn!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh my gosh how exciting for you and bless you for saving this babies life! As far as bringing home a new stray I have no advice but think about food as well. With bullies, food is key to their happiness and yours. They tend to be highly allergic to lots of things so good quality foods, often grain free are a must. You say pressure sores, what is that exactly? Gosh I cant wait to see pics!!!!!! Welcome to the family also by the way. ;)

OP
S

Sooner

Jul 22, 2012
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Thank you all for advice and for the kind words my wife and I are very excited. Cali jenn from what I've read on pressure sores they are from dog laying on hard surfaces in same spot on body and it creates a wound they sometimes loose fur but its treatable.

Here he is still don't know his name yet.
securedownload.jpg

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Just want to welcome you and congrats on choosing a rescued bully. He will repay you with so much love and your lives will never be the same. :up:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh my he has such sad eyes. :( can't wait for him to be at home with you and get that spark back. Little does he know his life is just about to change for the best. When do you pick him up? I am anxious.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
S

Sooner

Jul 22, 2012
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Here's a few more pics and hoping he will arrive by end of this week. He was being vetted and neutered in the south and then the trip from alabama to his new home in new york begins.

securedownload1.jpgsecuredownload2.jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Here's a few more pics and hoping he will arrive by end of this week. He was being vetted and neutered in the south and then the trip from alabama to his new home in new york begins.

View attachment 24336View attachment 24337

He looks great considering what he's been through. If I were you I'd prepare now for what you will feed him. I doubt transitioning slowly will be an option so I might give him the bland diet for a few days...while his system settles. Maybe a week. Then you can start adding his new food to the bland diet over another weeks time. I would look for a good grain free with no chicken to begin. Fromm Beef Fritatta would be a great choice..but there are many to choose from. We have a Dog Food Ratings article here that should help you greatly. I'll tag [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] for her ideas too..also..it's very hard to tell..but his feet look a bit rusty ..maybe yeast..to me. That certainly wouldn't surprise me considering all he's been through. Seeing him with that slip leash on..saddens me. I'm so happy you saved him and just know..we will all help in any way we can! One more thing...get him a harness..it's not good for them to have a collar on using a leash.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.