New Member and Bully Caretaker!

bodypeersur

Jul 8, 2012
Melbourne, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hi All! Duff from Florida here! Last Saturday we adopted a 9 month old red brindle and white female bully from the Florida English Bulldog Rescue! Her name is Bella. I have had many dogs in my 57 years but Bella is our first English Bulldog. Let me tell you, it is quite a challenge! LOL! Bella came to us completely untrained and very aggressive toward our other American Bull Terrier Mix and our cat. Her and Cain, our other dog have been getting along much better but she still is very possessive of toys and such. She has taken all the toys we had here and hoarded them! Today she went after Cain over an empty food bowl. So know I've come to the conclusion that bowls get picked up after feeding time. As for the cat. That will be a much slower resolve but I believe it too will end up on a positive note. I hope to learn much here.
Bella 1.jpg

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Welcome and bless you for adopting. Patience will be the key with Bella. Feel free to ask questions and we love pics.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: it sounds like you know what you are doing and hopefully it won't take long for you to have the sweetest bully girl. Well second sweetest...cause we have the sweetest. :luv:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Duff..we have met and I'm so happy to read your intro! We too had the same sort of possessive issues with a Rescue. Ours was a Rottie who came straight off the streets of Los Angeles. She had numerous behavioral problems..cats included! We found that keeping her on a leash for a week and close to us helped her focus when we corrected her. Not to mention when she tried to swallow my cat whole! :eek: we just let her know..in no uncertain terms...we were the Alphas. She was at the bottom of our pack. We fed her separately until she felt comfortable and never allowed her being possessive. It really wasn't long and that sweet girl became one of the best members of our family. I'll tag a few people who might offer other ideas. [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]..[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]..[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]..[MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION]. So happy you found us! :clap:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Welcome to the site. This place can get very addicting, so WATCH OUT!

I am in NE Florida. I have a Bella who is also food aggressive, it is her nature since she has a digestive disorder. We make sure to serve the others and her last. I even make her sit for her food, that way she knows I am the Boss! I am surprised the rescue didn't let you know about her being possessive and not getting along with others, that usually comes out with the application process. Thank you for rescuing her, she needs lots of love.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Becky nailed it.... be sure she knows you are alpha and teach her pack order. Her possessiveness most likely because everything was taken from her at some point.. after trust has been established you can work on it, but for know get the pack order in place.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You have some good advise above to try. Just be consistent and let her know you are the boss and not her. Cesar Millan has a great book on training dogs.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Welcome to EBN, Duffy. Congratulations on your new girl, Bella. This is such a supportive group of folks so I know you will feel right at home here. My boy Finn is also food aggressive so I have to feed both boys in separate rooms. Actually, I feed Finn in his crate and then I remove the empty bowls off the floor right after they're done. Consistency is key. Good luck and thank you for rescuing Bella.

OP
bodypeersur

bodypeersur

Jul 8, 2012
Melbourne, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hi Bella's Mom,
Actually I was informed to not feed them together so I never did. Bella actually went after Cain over an empty bowl! LOL! As for the rescue telling me about her aggression, she had been in a foster home and they didn't have any problems. When I spoke to Jennifer (a WONDEFUL SOUL) who runs the rescue, she had told me that Bella was in a foster home with 7 other dogs and there were no issues. She also reminded me that Bella had just been spayed and was getting ready to go in to her first heat. This may have contributed to her nasty disposition at the time. As of now the aggressive instances are far less and they play a lot in the back yard.

Our Babies 019.jpgOur Babies 022.jpg

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Welcome! She is so cute! I have found this website to be wonderful. I am new also but already addicted! Everyone on here is so supportive and if they dont have the answer or know how to help they will get you someone who does. Welcome again and keep the pictures coming!

Kassie

May 15, 2012
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus McGee
Bella is a cutie, and so in Cain :luv: Welcome to EBN and congrats on the new family member!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.