New from Ohio

T

trevcam11

New from Ohio, looking for Breeder Information!

Hello everyone,

Nice to meet you all. I am a young professional out of Cincinnati, Ohio who is in the early stages of preparing to get an English Bulldog. I love forums of all types so I figured why not for this too. I currently do not own any dogs, but did most of my life. My parents actually met in dog training classes as they both showed Shepard's, so believe me, I've experienced a lot of dogs. I also own a ferret and have a 55g freshwater cichlid tank. Basically, I have reached the point in my life where I am financially, emotionally, and professionally stable enough to do it right. I had looked into getting a pure bred Pit Bull a few years ago but decided I was not ready for the commitment and held off. Now I have fallen in love with English Bulldogs. I hope to gather as much information as possible.

I am looking for breeder's preferably in my area (Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois) who are reputable and hopefully come with personal recommendations. I know adopting is generally more pushed in these forums, I made a personal decision to not on this one. My parents have adopted quite a few times with...sometimes less than desirable results and I want my first to be as easy as possible in theory. Any suggestions on breeders in my area would be much appreciated. I plan to lurk for quite a while. Thanks!

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:welcome: so glad you are going to Lurk! :laugh: just jump in whenever you like! While it's true..we do support a lot of Rescues..we don't push a Rescue over buying the Bully of your choice! We just want to help you be successful in whatever you choose. Rescuing is not for everyone and while we soooo appreciate these special people..WE love all our Bully's! You will find so much great info here to get you prepared for the new pup in your life. While we aren't allowed to recommend certain breeders..anyone who knows of a good breeder in the area you are looking in..can send you a Private Message! Good Luck! :up:

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
03b4eceb.jpg

How exciting to be a first time bully owner. I thought I had read up enough to know what I was in for but I was wrong. Wish I had known about this forum before I got my pups. But lucky you! This is the best place to be to learn about all things bulldog and there are a bunch of lovely and funny peeps here. Hang on as someone with more expertise will be on shortly. It's been a while since mine were puppies. Stick around and you'll learn so much and have fun doing it.

Texkota

Jun 21, 2012
South Riding, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Renzo
[MENTION=1760]Fontanafox[/MENTION] Who you calling funny?:detective:

Trevcam welcome to EBN. The Bulldog Club of America has an excellent breeder referral program. If you go to their site you should be able to find someone in your area that is capable of referring you to a reputable breeder that has available puppies. Good luck.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my how fun picking out your bully. yes we love rescues here but we love bully pups to. well we just plain love bullies in general.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: I hope your search for a puppy is short. And your life together is long. And that you share it with us through pics and stories of your bully's adventures.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome to EBN! As everyone already stated, we love all bullies but we certainly try hard to find home for the adoptables. Our forum is made up of bulldog lovers in general, from owners to rescue leaders to breeders- it is all about sharing, helping and caring. Sorry I am in the west and cannot help recommend a breeder but good luck and keep us posted on your search!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Welcome to EBN. Perhaps talk to [MENTION=4285]GRACIE11[/MENTION] for suggestions.

OP
T

trevcam11

Thanks all! Let me reiiterate, I do not have anything at all against rescues by any means, It's just been my experience on forums with different animals/breeds that they push rescue very hard and somewhat look down on breeders. Obviously I want to find a reputable breeder who is interested in the breed and has a love for the animals. Thanks to Texkota for the Bulldog Club of America referral. It seems like a great place to start and find what I am looking for. If anyone else has any suggestions, please do not hesitate to PM me. I'd love all that I can get!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Welcome to EBN. Perhaps talk to @GRACIE11 for suggestions.[/QUOTE
Gracie11 is in Iowa, not Ohio,(or O Ho Ho as I so affectionately call it)

Anyway :welcome: to EBN. Glad you joined, you won't find another site that is more informative on English Bulldogs. One of our mods, [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION], lives in Ohio and is also involved with a rescue there. She will be familiar with local breeders as well. I think you can get a list of breeders from the AKC website as well but not positive. Thanx again for joining and I hope you have fun and learn a lot here at EBN. :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Thanks all! Let me reiiterate, I do not have anything at all against rescues by any means, It's just been my experience on forums with different animals/breeds that they push rescue very hard and somewhat look down on breeders. Obviously I want to find a reputable breeder who is interested in the breed and has a love for the animals. Thanks to Texkota for the Bulldog Club of America referral. It seems like a great place to start and find what I am looking for. If anyone else has any suggestions, please do not hesitate to PM me. I'd love all that I can get!

EBN is not just another forum as you will soon find out. You won't find that sort of prejudice here..... besides, Lisa, David, Sherry, and a few others would kick our behinds if breeders were looked down on. LOL

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

I have seen this happen on other forums and on facebook. Someone posts a puppy question and they get hammered for getting a puppy! We are all about helping bulldog owners in need. If that puppy doesn't get the help they need they will probably end up at a shelter. It's a Shame.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

OP
T

trevcam11

I have seen this happen on other forums and on facebook. Someone posts a puppy question and they get hammered for getting a puppy! We are all about helping bulldog owners in need. If that puppy doesn't get the help they need they will probably end up at a shelter. It's a Shame.

That's exactly what I have experienced. I fully appreciate rescues and people who rescue and most likely will end up going that route at least once in the future, but not at this stage. My thoughts are kind of along your lines in that as long as I am making an informed, educated decision, I will be better off than many "new puppy" owners who could potentially abandon their dog in the end anyway. It is a shame and unfortunately, awareness and education seem to be the only real remedy.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Welcome!! I look forward to hearing about your journey to getting a bully.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
My thoughts are kind of along your lines in that as long as I am making an informed, educated decision, I will be better off than many "new puppy" owners who could potentially abandon their dog in the end anyway. It is a shame and unfortunately, awareness and education seem to be the only real remedy.

You're 100% right. Sadly.

At the same time I was in the process of getting Bea (from a breeder), a gal at work was doing the same with a Siberian Husky pup. I'm reading books and preparing for my new dog and she's all loving the IDEA of a puppy but doesn't seem to be taking a shine to the education part of the equation. OH she's got dog bowls and leashes --- but that's where it ended. The pup didn't live with her family long enough to hit the year old mark. They rehomed him because "the dog was a maniac". :cursing: And what a lovely example to set for your 7 year old twin boys, eh? "Dogs are disposable" is the lesson I'm guessing they got. Shame. And now someone else (hopefully) has to deal with the pup they didn't raise properly.

Come to think of it, next time I see her, I'm gonna punch her right in the stomach.

My Bea came from a respected, local breeder with many referrals and a presence in the local show scene. Bo came from rescue. You'll find that these bullies are like potato chips....u just can't have ONE! Welcome! :D

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.