Just getting started!!!

Miasmomma

Jul 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
Hey ya'll,
I am Michelle from Tennessee and I just randomly came across this site while desperately searching for answers. I have a 10 month old olde english bulldog. I did alot of research on both breeds before deciding to go with this one because of all the health issues I read about with English Bullies. But guess what... My mia has all of them!!! Mainly random bumps that show up on her lower spine and hips.. No scabs, no bleeding, no hair loss. Using benadryl works for the itch, but does nothing for the bumps. We have been to the vet and a steriod shot gets rid of them, but gives her the poopies bad. So we have found they just go away on their on after about a week and show back up in the near future.

All that to say.....

Meet my Mia,

Attachments

• 395574_248475985238666_100002287986615_596360_180278408_n.jpg
    395574_248475985238666_100002287986615_596360_180278408_n.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 65
  • but.....jpg
    but.....jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 9 weeks.jpg
    9 weeks.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 131

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN. So glad you found us. I know the first question everyone here is going to ask is What are you feeding her? Bullies are very susceptible to food allergies so that is where we need to start. I am sure we can help you with her allergies but be warned, it is a long process sometimes. Anyway, Thanx for joining and I hope you will feel at home here and participate. :)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
:welcome: Mia is a sweety!! and I too am going to ask What food are you feeding her?? Vegas has horrible allergies and we battle daily with environmental allergies. But he also has food allergies and I had to try a few different foods until I could really see a difference. Food is probably the #1 reason for allergies and skin issues.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
:welcome: Mia is a cutie pie! I hope you will find the answers to your questions on this site. You might want to consider having her allergy tested as many others here have done for their bullys.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Aaawwww look at Mia!!! That second pic is pulling the heartstrings! Hope we can help!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: Mia is a cutie! I'm on board with asking what she's eating. Food allergies can make all the difference!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Okay checking your profile I see it's grain free Natures Recipe. Not a horrible food but certainly not the greatest either. If she is so bad that she requires a steroid, a good idea would be to get an allergy test done to save you a lot of headaches in trying to find what the triggers are. However you cannot give Mia any steroids I think for 30 days prior to the test. That is the hard part.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Okay checking your profile I see it's grain free Natures Recipe. Not a horrible food but certainly not the greatest either. If she is so bad that she requires a steroid, a good idea would be to get an allergy test done to save you a lot of headaches in trying to find what the triggers are. However you cannot give Mia any steroids I think for 30 days prior to the test. That is the hard part.

Correct, When I had Vegas's test done, NO steroids for 30 days and NO Benadryl for 5 days prior to test.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
:welcome: ... love her!!! My Daddy is Olde English too!! I agree with everybody else ... let's start off with the food and see if that will help the allergies she's getting!!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
10cfdb60.jpg

Like everyone knows here, food is usually the main culprit in allergies. I recommend doing a blood allergy test to find out what what foods she test positive for and also plants. I have an allergy baby and I've got him on the right food but environmental allergies are just kicking his butt right now. His test revealed he is also allergic to grass, some weeds and trees. He's got red itchy goopy eyes and itchy paws but he does not have any scabs or bumps and that was caused by his food which I switched when I got the test results. He cannot eat, pork, lamb and venison. Potatoes, wheat, oats. As you can see you have to find a food that will not trigger Pia's allergies that can show up in bumps, scabs and sometimes ear infections. You will become like a researcher for your dog by the time you are through. But you will become a much wiser advocate for bulldog health.

Last edited:
OP
M

Miasmomma

Jul 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
Thanks everyone for the tips.... She is on the grain free salmon and sweet potato blend. The only thing that has me stumped is the whole it's only in the one spot.Does food allergies act that way? I thought an allergic reaction would affect the whole body?
Thanks again and keep them coming..

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Michelle my dogs bumps also only showed up mostly on his lower spine near the tail and he also use to get a lot of yeast around and in the wrinkles of his tail which if not cleaned can get infected. Sometimes you can miss little spots and I found in a small tail wrinkle had a nasty smelly infection starting. Since changing his food he doesn't get those bumps, scabs and tail yeast. His fur was becoming quite patchy but now it has filled in, thick and soft.

OP
M

Miasmomma

Jul 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
What brand please? I would love to try something that I know has worked for someone else

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Well the results of the blood test is what helped me to determine which food he can eat. In the case of Mr. Wilson is currently on Nature's Logic Beef. He has been on Natures Variety Instinct LID Turkey and Solid Gold Millenium Beef and Barley in the past and those served him well too!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.