New here and a bit worried that our breeder was kinda crapy :) opinions?????

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
I personally think the fact she drive to meet you is a sign she didnt want you to visit there. That doesn't mean Porky will have any more problems but she certainly should've informed you? Jake had an umbilical hernia and it was repaired when he was neutered. The people we bought him from told us about the hernia and offered us one of his brothers. They all asked the vet how much extra the vet would charge ($75) and knocked $100 off jakes price! She's perfect to me! :D

I know that should have been a flag but we were just so excited we didnt even think about it at all :( next time we will investigate more and make sure the breeder we choose is a good one. Aww Jake i cant get over how freaking cute he is :) that tongue gets me :)) i love it!!

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
I too suggest the pet insurance - keep in mind to NOT mention the cherry eye to your vet yet or it will not be covered and considered pre-existing if it does come back and needs to be taken care of. My Otis has the same thing, first in one eye and now his other but we have had no issues for now messaging them back in - maybe down the road we wont be so lucky.

Otis also came to me with a umbilical hernia scar on his belly that I too was not informed of but when approched the question with the breeder they said that is common. He is now 5 mos old and his scar is almost gone and I have had no problems with it.

Another unfortunate thing we are experiencing is "head tremors" that just started about a month ago, thankfully for this site and the wealth of information and support about it I now know a lot about it and it doesnt really phase him, give him a couple of treats and he comes right out of it. I called breeder to inform and have yet to get a phone call back which really pisses me off.

P.S. - I have pet insurance via PetPlan, havent had to use it yet but have great peace of mind that if anything happens, I'm covered (to an extent)

Welcome and best of luck to you with your beautiful new girl.

Thank you :) yeah my vet is supposed to call me later when she has some down time to talk about insurance and things :) since when she is spayed she needs her vuvla repaired, the hernia repaired, and we are having her microchipped!! Lots of money but shes well worth it. :( i heard about head tremors isnt it almost like low blood sugar :( poor puppy i hope he is ok :) hes so handsome!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
hello and welcome to you and Porky! She is absolutely beautiful! Best of luck with her and keep the pictures coming

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: Regardless of her origins it looks like Porky found the perfect new mamma!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
You have some great advice above. You're breeder should be paying for some of the costs but if that's in the warranty that it's only a replacement than there's not much you can do. My breeder for Emma has a dollar limit during that first year - pretty awesome if you ask me.

Get pet insurance ASAP!! Sounds like it might be money well spent each month. I had VPI and didn't like their coverage (it's very deceiving imo) and now I have Go Pet Plan. Some here have Trupanion too. I wouldn't waste too much time on getting it though as once she starts seeing vets for certain condition it'll be consider "pre-existing."

She's a beauty though. :heart:

Baylee

Jun 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Baylee & Bogey
Hello, just wanted to say as far as her cherry eye goes, a friend of mine has a young puppy that she purchased from a breeder. Unfortunately her puppy and her moms puppy (she purchased from the same breeder) have eye problems too. So far she massaged the eye every day (gently) for two weeks and has no further problems with it and the puppy is now 8 months old. Not full grown yet and no guarantees but worth a try. Unfortunately this is not a cure but only a suggestion, if it keeps showing up then surgery is definitely required as they can lose their eye sight in the eye and possibly lose the eye in extreme cases. Not to mention the infection they can get. Don't want to be a bearer of bad news but maybe this will work for you.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.