New here and a bit worried that our breeder was kinda crapy :) opinions?????

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
So i have had my little princess for a little over two months now n i couldnt ask for a better puppy :) little over 4 months old and shes potty trained and learning all her commands very quickly!!!!! However my concern is for the breeder who we bought her from............she lived 4 hours away from us and the night we called her she drove 2 hours to meet us with her.....when i took her to her first vet check she was infested with ear mites, had an umbilical hernia and an inverted vulva (will be repaired when she is spayed) so she pees on her belly, and tonight she had a cherry eye appear (went away with a warm compress but still) im not sure if its hereditary or she may have gotten some dirt in her eye playing with my sisters dogs today.......so i dont want to reccomend this breeder to anyone because i dont know if the problems my porky have had are from poor breeding or not?? An opinons are welcome :) thank you guys/gals

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Welcome to EBN! I have nothing to add but the smarts ones will be on sooon!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like this is stuff that they should've told you beforehand... The vulva is just tight or completely inverted? Sounds like she was not checked over thoroughly by a vet. The cherry eye can be hereditary or caused by eye trauma.... Let us hope this will be the last of the issues that crop up but if not I would start putting away some money each month or get pet insurance asap... And oh :welcome: :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Sounds like this is stuff that they should've told you beforehand... The vulva is just tight or completely inverted? Sounds like she was not checked over thoroughly by a vet. The cherry eye can be hereditary or caused by eye trauma.... Let us hope this will be the last of the issues that crop up but if not I would start putting away some money each month or get pet insurance asap... And oh :) welcome
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thank you :) no unfortunately it's completely inverted :( my fiancé picks on me n says I molest her because I am scrubbing it everytime she pees or plays outdoors but if I don't she will get a horrid rash n she's a lot more likely to get utis!!!! so far though knock on wood no utis n the rash hasn't come back (she came with a rash :(.....) my vet is so good with her n said the same thing.....we should have been informed n she probably wasn't checked very well!!! She was given all of her shots a week and a half to early and the breeder told us she was a week older than she was when we got her (found her bday on her papers) :(

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Thank you :) no unfortunately it's completely inverted :( my fiancé picks on me n says I molest her because I am scrubbing it everytime she pees or plays outdoors but if I don't she will get a horrid rash n she's a lot more likely to get utis!!!! so far though knock on wood no utis n the rash hasn't come back (she came with a rash :(.....) my vet is so good with her n said the same thing.....we should have been informed n she probably wasn't checked very well!!! She was given all of her shots a week and a half to early and the breeder told us she was a week older than she was when we got her (found her bday on her papers) :(

I understand your frustration and feel you were lied to! Its horrible that there are people that would do this to us! Either way you lucked out b/c she is sooooooo beautiful! You are on the right track with everything! Glad you have things under control and she found you to be her mama! Good Luck with everything and we are always here to help!

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
I understand your frustration and feel you were lied to! Its horrible that there are people that would do this to us! Either way you lucked out b/c she is sooooooo beautiful! You are on the right track with everything! Glad you have things under control and she found you to be her mama! Good Luck with everything and we are always here to help!

Thank you :D we think she is beautiful too lol she actually has the weirdest but coolest winged eye markings she looks like she's wearing eyeliner lol!!!! Yeah I mean the lady was very sweet but things just don't add up, she's had a lot of minor problems so far......n she has a straight tail (n i know some bullies do) but the breeder told me it would disqualify her from showing...not that we planned on it....but through here n AKC website I found out "perfect" straight tails without kinks actually get higher marks sometimes???!!!! So for someone who "shows" bullies all the time n breeds them 25+ years it's funny that she didn't know that!!! I really am starting to think she just breeds for the $$ :( regardless though I got an amazing dog n wouldn't trade her for anything!!! :) thank u I know I've had more questions answered here than anywhere else (n I think my vet is happy I found u guys lol)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Thank you :D we think she is beautiful too lol she actually has the weirdest but coolest winged eye markings she looks like she's wearing eyeliner lol!!!! Yeah I mean the lady was very sweet but things just don't add up, she's had a lot of minor problems so far......n she has a straight tail (n i know some bullies do) but the breeder told me it would disqualify her from showing...not that we planned on it....but through here n AKC website I found out "perfect" straight tails without kinks actually get higher marks sometimes???!!!! So for someone who "shows" bullies all the time n breeds them 25+ years it's funny that she didn't know that!!! I really am starting to think she just breeds for the $$ :( regardless though I got an amazing dog n wouldn't trade her for anything!!! :) thank u I know I've had more questions answered here than anywhere else (n I think my vet is happy I found u guys lol)

Glad you found us too! We got to meet you and Porkchop! Hope you post lots of pics as she grows :) I was so happy to have found this site and met some great people!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I personally think the fact she drive to meet you is a sign she didnt want you to visit there. That doesn't mean Porky will have any more problems but she certainly should've informed you? Jake had an umbilical hernia and it was repaired when he was neutered. The people we bought him from told us about the hernia and offered us one of his brothers. They all asked the vet how much extra the vet would charge ($75) and knocked $100 off jakes price! She's perfect to me! :D

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Those are ALL issues that should have been communicated up front. Was there a health guarantee on the dog? (probably not) Did the breeder claim that the pups have been checked and signed off on as "healthy" by a vet? (What's the vet's name? He should be sued) This breeder sounds shady to me. Unfortunately, there's a backyard breeder for every breed out there. All these issues with this pup are not by accident. Have u spoken to the breeder? What was their response, if so? You've got your angel now - and I'm sure you are happy and grateful - but I'd get some insurance right away.

One's only defense is a good offense; for folks looking for a pup in the future, do some good detective work before hand. References should be checked. You should be able to visit the home without problems. Google the name of the person or the "kennel" to see if there are issues or any public records naming them. A little bit of detective work with go a long way!

RAPFOA1

May 28, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Raleigh (born 12/23/11)

Yes, she sure is beautiful. I agree that I think you should have informed of her rash and other issues (and her correct birthday) when you purchased her. My Raleigh girl has what sounds like the same eye markings and I absolutely love them (you can see them really well in the photo below)! And yes, a straight tail is by no means a disqualification and the 2010 Westminster winner for the Bulldog breed had a straight tail. And believe me, straight tails make it much easier to keep that area clean, and are considered even more desirable than screw tails to many people. I, personally, would look into pet insurance given all the problems she's had so far, but that's just my opinion. Enjoy your time here and welcome.

P.S.-If you want to PM me your breeder's name, I'd be happy to look into it for you :)

61522042.jpg

Last edited:
OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Those are ALL issues that should have been communicated up front. Was there a health guarantee on the dog? (probably not) Did the breeder claim that the pups have been checked and signed off on as "healthy" by a vet? (What's the vet's name? He should be sued) This breeder sounds shady to me. Unfortunately, there's a backyard breeder for every breed out there. All these issues with this pup are not by accident. Have u spoken to the breeder? What was their response, if so? You've got your angel now - and I'm sure you are happy and grateful - but I'd get some insurance right away.

One's only defense is a good offense; for folks looking for a pup in the future, do some good detective work before hand. References should be checked. You should be able to visit the home without problems. Google the name of the person or the "kennel" to see if there are issues or any public records naming them. A little bit of detective work with go a long way!

Yeah there was a health guarentee buttttttttt her only recourse was to replace the puppy and i didnt even consider it the first night we had her all she wanted to do was snuggle around my neck and kiss me :,) there was no way i was giving her back!! To be honest my fiance and i just jumped into it we saw her in a for sale magazine in our area n instantly fell in love with her from her photo, called the number talked to the breeder and the next thing we knew we were driving to go get our new puppy!! Fortunately Im pretty smart and had previously done research on bullies so i knew the basics about caring for her!! If we ever get another bully I will be researching the breeder n demand to see the house lol but we live and learn!!

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Yes, she sure is beautiful. I agree that I think you should have informed of her rash and other issues (and her correct birthday) when you purchased her. My Raleigh girl has what sounds like the same eye markings and I absolutely love them (you can see them really well in the photo below)! And yes, a straight tail is by no means a disqualification and the 2010 Westminster winner for the Bulldog breed had a straight tail. And believe me, straight tails make it much easier to keep that area clean, and are considered even more desirable than screw tails to many people. I, personally, would look into pet insurance given all the problems she's had so far, but that's just my opinion. Enjoy your time here and welcome.

P.S.-If you want to PM me your breeder's name, I'd be happy to look into it for you :)

61522042.jpg

I loveeeeeeeeee her tail lol it wags so fast im afraid shes going to break it off lol. I made a side photo of her my signature so u could see her eye markings lol i love ur girls face omg too cute!!!!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
She is absolutely beautiful! :luv: At least you did research and you know how to care for her issues now. But shame on that breeder for being irresponsible and not fully informing you. :nonono:

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I too suggest the pet insurance - keep in mind to NOT mention the cherry eye to your vet yet or it will not be covered and considered pre-existing if it does come back and needs to be taken care of. My Otis has the same thing, first in one eye and now his other but we have had no issues for now messaging them back in - maybe down the road we wont be so lucky.

Otis also came to me with a umbilical hernia scar on his belly that I too was not informed of but when approched the question with the breeder they said that is common. He is now 5 mos old and his scar is almost gone and I have had no problems with it.

Another unfortunate thing we are experiencing is "head tremors" that just started about a month ago, thankfully for this site and the wealth of information and support about it I now know a lot about it and it doesnt really phase him, give him a couple of treats and he comes right out of it. I called breeder to inform and have yet to get a phone call back which really pisses me off.

P.S. - I have pet insurance via PetPlan, havent had to use it yet but have great peace of mind that if anything happens, I'm covered (to an extent)

Welcome and best of luck to you with your beautiful new girl.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.