New to the group

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
GATOR, (HOPE RIP) & Spot the Aussie/mix
Hi everyone my name is Crystal. I don't own a bully nor have I interact with one before. My husband is one whom got me into "liking" them and that grew into an obsession of learning all about them!! Might I.say I don't know how we've home this long without one!! I do have a question what would any of you recommend starting off with a puppy or an older dog.
Oh BTW I love the forum here!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Welcome! As for starting with pup or older bully... Depends on what you are ready for. When hubby and I decided to finally get our baby we called a few breeders off the bca list and 1 had puppies and one had a 9 month old who she was thinking of showing but had too much on her plate at the time. We chose the 9 month old cuz he was house trained etc already. Dont get me wrong he still was a puppy at heart at that age but Cutty had been past that puppy biting and crazy stage. Still chewed no many things in the house, couches, baseboards, pillows, dog beds etc but probably would have been a MUCH bigger challenge had he been itty bitty. We got Miila at 1 year old also so I still have that need for a baby bully someday but nothing wrong with getting them older at all. Certainly dont love them any less and I think when you get them at an older age they tend to love you more if they had a rough background cuz they know how good they have it. The reward is greater in that case. There are SO many in rescue that need homes, if you are thinking of an older one I would look thru your local rescue and see what they have available to start.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Like Jenn said above.... it depends on what you can handle. Bully puppies can be a challenge but if you are up to it can also be a great experience.
We were not interested in necessarily having a puppy and got a retired breeder dog at 3.5 years old. Princess Gracie came to us as an adult with all her idiosyncrasies imbedded in her thick head. Wouldn't trade her for all the tea in Walmart.!!!
Another option is adopting a rescue.... there are thousands of bullies out there looking for a forever home!!!
If you decide to get a puppy, make sure you pick your breeder carefully and beware of scams.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
We have had Duke since he was a puppy but I would also rescue one for sure now that I have educated myself so much about them! its up to you!

OP
lakermarie

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks I've applied to 2 different rescues already still waiting....... My idea of getting an older one was to avoid all the puppy challenges especially since I've never personally had experience with one. For those of u who have males do they "hike" or they too short that's my one reason I chose female on my adoption application, cuz my dog at home fixed in all he still hikes his leg... I search about 3hrs a night about bullies available from rescues.. my hubby says i went bully crazy lol

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
LOL, I remember doing the internet thing!! Arnold hikes his leg but outside, I have never caught him doing it inside. In fact, we took him for a walk at Couer d'alene Lake and he marked at least 5 trash cans, 20 evergreens, and a few poles!!

OP
lakermarie

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lol ok so boys will be boys and will hike their legs alright well I guess if I learn to teach them not to do it in the house

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to EBN and the wonderful world of bulldogs!!

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
Welcome to the Crazy world of Bullies! As far as choosing puppy, older or rescue I think you'll know it when you see one you can't stop thinking about. I have bred and raised puppies and they are adorable but my Rescue Boz has my heart. He came to us at 3 yrs. old.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hiya:!!!! Very exciting that you are getting closer to a :bully: I'd definitely consider a rescue! Can't wait to meet your new family member..jump in and Welcome to the Family!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: bulldogs were never an obsession for me either until my husband [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] said that's the only kind of dog he would consider. He, and HRH convinced me pretty easily though that he was right about this one little thing. :love:

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
Welcome! We got Jackson when he was about two years old from a rescue and he was already house-trained, which was a big plus! He also already knew basic commands and was a good listener. If/when we get another dog, it will also be from a rescue and about 2yrs or older. We don't want to deal with training a puppy and having them pee/crap all over our new house. lol

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I only got interested in a EBD after I met a friend who owned one and that's all it took for me - after that I too went BULLY crazy! We had an old dog at home and didnt want her to have to deal with another dog so after she passed this last February I FINALLY got my Otis - my husband was concerned purchasing an EBD because of the expense and health issues but you should see the love he has for him - I think now he is BULLY crazy too.

Good luck on your quest to find one.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
One thing you have learnt already ... bullys do make you crazy!!! There is no love like the love you share with a bully!!

Whether you get a puppy or an older bully there are going to be good things and bad things so there is no right answer!! Where are you located ... just wondered which two rescues you applied to??

:welcome:

L

Lucy-licious

I got Lucy as a puppy and am now loking for a brother for her....I am loking at pups and rescues. I dont mind either as long as Lucy loves him :welcome: to ebn :)

Members online

No members online now.