Hello!

brynn81

Apr 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona
Hi I am also looking for a pup in that Area. Is it bad to get a puppy from another state and have it shipped? I see breeders have done that. I think I am ready to get my baby!

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
I'm from Central Iowa, and yes, if anyone can recommend a breeder (or who to avoid) that would be great! Even just someone I could contact for playdates and socialization would be great!

I've seen a few websites for breeders in the Midwest, but it's so hard to tell who is really concerned with the good of the breed and not just making some money. Hopefully some of the questions I ask will weed them out!

I would love to help you find a breeder....Do you have an email I can send you the name of the breeder I used?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would love to help you find a breeder....Do you have an email I can send you the name of the breeder I used?

[MENTION=4784]brynn81[/MENTION] You might want to PM [MENTION=4285]GRACIE11[/MENTION] for some information too if you are in the same area!!

L

Lucy-licious

:welcome::welcome: Looking for a new pup will take a long while if you do it properly [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] highlighted some very important points in her post. Be very careful there are lots and lots of bad breeders, puppymills and people who just want to scam you. If someone wants to meat you somewhere other than their home then thats another clue to puppymilling and scamming. Good luck and dont give out any money until you are certain its a genuine good breeder.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Hi I am also looking for a pup in that Area. Is it bad to get a puppy from another state and have it shipped? I see breeders have done that. I think I am ready to get my baby!

Brynn81 - I personally would rather find a local breeder than having one 'flown in' for several reasons -

1) the local breeder you can go visit, and see the kennels, home conditions, and decide if its a Puppy Mill or a back yard breeder or someone who takes alot of interest in their dogs - Alot of good breeders will be interviewing you as you are interviewing them.

2) summertime and Flat Faces flying - a HUGE Chance of flying animals this time of year - any animal - but our flat faced friends are at a higher risk, unless you can fly to pick up your puppy and put him on as carry on (under your seat, type of thing, I've never done this..but I know it is done)

3) you want your breeder to be within reach if you have any questions, or concerns - a breeder in the area, will probably be more willing to help, as this is 'Their' area, where they live and breed - if you are happy, then the word gets around town - if you are unhappy, that word also gets around town. Whereas if you fly 1000 miles to pick up your baby, they might not care as much.

4) people tend to fall for the 'I can have one shipped in from (name the far away state here) for only $1500 -$2000, where my local breeder is asking $2500-$3500 - it all comes down to quality, healthwise of the puppy, you get what you pay for with bulldogs. (Dont get me wrong, some breeders list $2000 might have fine animals, and some breeders try to 'gouge' for 'Rare Colors' (which are not AKC Standards, and are 'freaks' to the quality)

5) Stay away from buzz words like 'Tri-Color' 'Blue' 'Black' etc if the Breeder is breeding for Color, THAT is their main concern, not quality of health for the dog.

back to my coffee ;) good luck :)

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
A couple of red flags are too many puppies available, too many of their own dogs, any "buy now" buttons on the site, any deposit buttons on the site.

A good breeder does not over breed, so they will usually have no more than 10 dogs of their own. Too many puppies says either broker or puppy mill. A good breeder will not put any type of pay button on their site because they will wish to interview potential adopters. When you talk to them on the phone you want to try to see if they are passionate about bulldogs. Since you are in the Midwest be very careful, there are a lot of puppy mills in those areas of the USA.

excellent advice above! Welcome ! You will love it here! :):):)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
:welcome: Rachel, so glad you finally decided to join and give up the snooping. :up: Just jump right on in and make yourself at home! :)

brynn81

Apr 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona
Brynn81 - I personally would rather find a local breeder than having one 'flown in' for several reasons -

1) the local breeder you can go visit, and see the kennels, home conditions, and decide if its a Puppy Mill or a back yard breeder or someone who takes alot of interest in their dogs - Alot of good breeders will be interviewing you as you are interviewing them.

2) summertime and Flat Faces flying - a HUGE Chance of flying animals this time of year - any animal - but our flat faced friends are at a higher risk, unless you can fly to pick up your puppy and put him on as carry on (under your seat, type of thing, I've never done this..but I know it is done)

3) you want your breeder to be within reach if you have any questions, or concerns - a breeder in the area, will probably be more willing to help, as this is 'Their' area, where they live and breed - if you are happy, then the word gets around town - if you are unhappy, that word also gets around town. Whereas if you fly 1000 miles to pick up your baby, they might not care as much.

4) people tend to fall for the 'I can have one shipped in from (name the far away state here) for only $1500 -$2000, where my local breeder is asking $2500-$3500 - it all comes down to quality, healthwise of the puppy, you get what you pay for with bulldogs. (Dont get me wrong, some breeders list $2000 might have fine animals, and some breeders try to 'gouge' for 'Rare Colors' (which are not AKC Standards, and are 'freaks' to the quality)

5) Stay away from buzz words like 'Tri-Color' 'Blue' 'Black' etc if the Breeder is breeding for Color, THAT is their main concern, not quality of health for the dog.

back to my coffee ;) good luck :)

That is my problem. There are no breeders in my area...I would have to drive 5 hours one way to see the pup.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
That is my problem. There are no breeders in my area...I would have to drive 5 hours one way to see the pup.

But so worth it!! I just flew down form Spokane to Phoenix, AZ, drove to Tucson to pick up Miss Bertha Bacon and then did the reverse to get her home. I flew with her as a carry on and was anxious the whole time for the reason RaRett mentioned (she did fine). It is imperative you are comfortable with the breeder. Did you contact [MENTION=4285]GRACIE11[/MENTION]?

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Welcome...as always, great advice being shared....take your time, the research you do will help you find your perfect pup...

brynn81

Apr 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona
But so worth it!! I just flew down form Spokane to Phoenix, AZ, drove to Tucson to pick up Miss Bertha Bacon and then did the reverse to get her home. I flew with her as a carry on and was anxious the whole time for the reason RaRett mentioned (she did fine). It is imperative you are comfortable with the breeder. Did you contact @GRACIE11?

No I haven't talked with her yet. I would be willing to drive but can't drive for visits or to pick the pup out. I would be able to drive to get the pup when he/she is ready. But that was why I was asking about shipping. I don't really like the idea of it but im limited. The one person mentioned above I should get one from a breeder that i can go see and pick out my pup before hand...I just don't think that is possible.

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
[MENTION=4784]brynn81[/MENTION] I would love to help you find a local breeder! Have you ever thought of adopting a rescue bully? I think that would be very rewarding:yes: If you are interested in my help with a puppy or maybe a rescue bully just go write on my wall:) I would write on your wall or PM you, but I'm unable to message members yet.

kingofkings

Mar 23, 2012
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson The Bold
Glad you found the right place ! My husband and I searched everywhere, read *nearly I'm sure* everything on bulldogs but like everything else nothing beats EXPERIENCE and that's one thing this forum has ,,,and lots of it ! so Enjoy...and good luck with your puppy !!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online