New bully parents & a few questions

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Welcome! Your baby is so adorabull! Everyone else had good suggestions with the walking thing but just wanted to add that when Frank was a puppy we tried both Blue Buffalo and California Natural and he didn't do well on either. He always had soft stools on the California Natural and complete squirts if it was California Natural Lamb. We eventually switched to Fromm, which he does well on. But like others suggested, it could be the amount he is fed, etc.
He is just the cutest thing! Good luck with getting him to walk!

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Had the same issues with the walking when we first got Bacon. In general, he didn't want to be outside at all (probably didn't help that it was still winter). What got him over his issue was a puppy play date with a close friend's puggle. (at this point he had enough shots that he was permitted to be around dogs we knew) As soon as he saw another dog outside it was just where he wanted to be too.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
awww what a cutie you have there! Welcome to our world...and you must get treats and then he'll walk wherever you want him to.
Good luck & keep sharing!

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
He is such a cutie!
Biting - UGH, when Oliver was teething, we thought the biting would never end. Chew toys - especially frozen Nylabones - helped. Just keep redirecting him. Also, I would freeze apple slices and hold one for him to gnaw on.
As for walks... Oliver is now just over a year and a half and STILL refuses to walk down sidewalks or streets. We thought maybe cars were the issue so we tried walking him through parking lots to get used to cars. It wasn't the cars. Ha! We don't know why, but Oliver will only walk in the park or at our local elementary school (after school lets out for the day).

Oliver also had issues on Blue Buffalo. He is sensitive to chicken. We switched to Nature's Recipe Grain-Free Salmon, Sweet Potato and Pumpkin (dry food). He loves it and it resolved his tummy issues.

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Welcome!!! Jorge is adorable!!! Omg I want to kiss his little wrinkles!!

Spunky was the same way on walks!!! And sometimes she will put her front legs down like a bully and not move lol. Good luck with your new addition, he's adorable!!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola was/is the same way about the walks. we made the mistake early when we got her, we didn't force her to take walks. she hadn't had her shots yet and august was sooooo hot here. so we waited until the fall to take her more often and she was so scared of everything. we had to turn her around almost at every step and she would pull to get back home. She's alot better now but I would tell you to keep going no matter how much he hates it now! he will lose his fears if you keep going when he's young. Lola still needs carried out of the front door (we do business out the backyard) and over to our neighbors yard to jump start the walk, but she will walk with us for 2 blocks. When she knows she's close to home, she wants to run. we entertained the idea early on, and now we realize that was also a bad idea. going backwards in training her to walk nicely home is very hard. maybe she'll always run the last few houses home, but at least it's not the whole way home! lots of praise when he takes a step in the right direction, you're already doing that. and keep going for walks. i would say reward with treats but lola doesn't eat in public :) good luck!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: Jorge is Adorabull! I can't add any advice just a welcome!

OP
RoseTuckandJorge

RoseTuckandJorge

May 11, 2012
Connecticut
Bulldog(s) Names
Jorge
Thanks everyone! I knew this would be a great place to post. I spoke with one of the other moms from Jorge's litter and she's feeding her pup Wellness, and he's doing great. So we'll try that.

As for walking - little bits of kibble is slow, but does the trick somehow! It took us about half an hour to get around our condo complex, and it's not very big :) He likes to run when he can see the house too, so I'll have to control that in the summer. Jorge spends a lot of time at my inlaws, who have two big dogs, and he just loves them. I think he doesn't want to go out when they're not around.

carpeomnia

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I recommend adding white or brown rice to the mix of dog food to ease his diarrhea and stomach problems. It is a good way to introduce the bully to the food.

Do not feed him many treats. That could really ruin his stomach, especially since he is a puppy. He should be fed on a schedule, such as once or twice a day.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
:hiya: and :welcome: to the site. Seems you got some gread advice...Food is definatley the first key to a healthy bullie...I noticed Brutus didnt do well with rice since 4 mnths...We got on grain free Fromm and havent looked back..Its trial and error with food and what works for some doesn't work for all! Good Luck!

He is sooooo cute! We love pictures so hope you will post more :)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hiya cute Jorge's pawrent! We had both food and lead issues too when we got Stig. But we got lucky that he's very food (and attention!) motivated. lol. He loves the feel of grass on his back and can be stubborn still when the weather's nice. He's 2 years old now. G'luck with the food issue, looks like you're on the right track. Some people have tried a few different flavours and brands before they found the right one, so it really is trial and error. I would look for something grain- and chicken-free. Those seem to be 2 major culprits for our bullies. See you around!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
attachment.php

OMG he is sooooooooooooo cute!!! Welcome to the site

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
:welcome: to EBN! Jorge is beautiful! I too would recommend getting him off the chicken Blue Buffalo and also measure his food if you're not doing that already. I had Wilson on Blue Buffalo & Wellness for his first year and he did very well on it. But he did have loose stools quite a bit and he also had very very wet eyes that were like waterfalls in his folds. I thought that it was due to his teething at first but when I switched him to the Earthborn line of food (Meadows Feast) amaziingly he cleared up and was dry for hte first time in a year.

As for his biting, that's a very normal puppy thing to do. Just kept giving him the "no" command (or a command that you choose) and be consistent. He WILL out grow it. :).

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.