Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Also is he eating his food wet or dry? How much is he getting? Too much food can cause the squirts, even as little as 1/4 c too much in a day. Maybe cut back how much you are giving just by a little bit and see if that helps.

They only process what is needed for growth, the rest is extra. Another sign of it being just too much food is that what comes out looks like dog food put in a blender. Basically, undigested!

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New bully parents & a few questions

wow hes a very pretty color! maybe he doesnt like the restrain collar? maybe let him free and see what happens?
    just a thought
    Im also trying to decide what the best food is as well
    my pup is about 2 months old

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Your new baby sure is a cutie! My guy is 6 months ago and we went through the same learning to lead issues. I don't think he is being stubborn as much as he is timid and home is his comfort zone. My tip - Find a treat that he really likes. (My guy loves liver pieces.) Use the treats as a distraction/ motivation. When he refuses to walk, put the treat In front of his nose, so he can smell it but don't give it to him, just keep it in front of him and he will follow it. Once he has taken several steps the direction you want him to go, give him his treat and praise him. Add patience and repetition and he will soon be leading like a champion. FYI - they only need very small training treats so as not to give them tummy issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Jorge

BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Erin
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

Welcome! Your baby is so adorabull! Everyone else had good suggestions with the walking thing but just wanted to add that when Frank was a puppy we tried both Blue Buffalo and California Natural and he didn't do well on either. He always had soft stools on the California Natural and complete squirts if it was California Natural Lamb. We eventually switched to Fromm, which he does well on. But like others suggested, it could be the amount he is fed, etc.
    He is just the cutest thing! Good luck with getting him to walk!

I live with 2 porkers!
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Had the same issues with the walking when we first got Bacon. In general, he didn't want to be outside at all (probably didn't help that it was still winter). What got him over his issue was a puppy play date with a close friend's puggle. (at this point he had enough shots that he was permitted to be around dogs we knew) As soon as he saw another dog outside it was just where he wanted to be too.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nigel Wentworth Sinclair & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

awww what a cutie you have there! Welcome to our world...and you must get treats and then he'll walk wherever you want him to.
    Good luck & keep sharing!

Cheerio mates!

Drool Catcher AdventuresWithOliver's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sherri
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver
    Likes (Received)

He is such a cutie!
    Biting - UGH, when Oliver was teething, we thought the biting would never end. Chew toys - especially frozen Nylabones - helped. Just keep redirecting him. Also, I would freeze apple slices and hold one for him to gnaw on.
    As for walks... Oliver is now just over a year and a half and STILL refuses to walk down sidewalks or streets. We thought maybe cars were the issue so we tried walking him through parking lots to get used to cars. It wasn't the cars. Ha! We don't know why, but Oliver will only walk in the park or at our local elementary school (after school lets out for the day).

Oliver also had issues on Blue Buffalo. He is sensitive to chicken. We switched to Nature's Recipe Grain-Free Salmon, Sweet Potato and Pumpkin (dry food). He loves it and it resolved his tummy issues.
    Life is always an Adventure with Oliver!
    http://adventureswitholiver.tumblr.com/

Bulldog(s) Names
    Spunky
    Likes (Received)

Welcome!!! Jorge is adorable!!! Omg I want to kiss his little wrinkles!!

Spunky was the same way on walks!!! And sometimes she will put her front legs down like a bully and not move lol. Good luck with your new addition, he's adorable!!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

Lola was/is the same way about the walks. we made the mistake early when we got her, we didn't force her to take walks. she hadn't had her shots yet and august was sooooo hot here. so we waited until the fall to take her more often and she was so scared of everything. we had to turn her around almost at every step and she would pull to get back home. She's alot better now but I would tell you to keep going no matter how much he hates it now! he will lose his fears if you keep going when he's young. Lola still needs carried out of the front door (we do business out the backyard) and over to our neighbors yard to jump start the walk, but she will walk with us for 2 blocks. When she knows she's close to home, she wants to run. we entertained the idea early on, and now we realize that was also a bad idea. going backwards in training her to walk nicely home is very hard. maybe she'll always run the last few houses home, but at least it's not the whole way home! lots of praise when he takes a step in the right direction, you're already doing that. and keep going for walks. i would say reward with treats but lola doesn't eat in public good luck!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Spunky
    Likes (Received)

Spunky is the opposite, she will drag you to china if you let her! Lol

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Jorge is Adorabull! I can't add any advice just a welcome!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads