Newbie :)

AJ Garza

May 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Rupert *RIP Sir Nigel*
Hello Everyone,

My name is AJ and my new 10 week old puppies name is Nigel! He has been a handful and awesome all at the same time :). Nigel comes from a beautiful Sire that was brought home from Oakprides in the UK and an awesome mommy (both registered and official). Nigel is a beautiful male that is looking to grow into a strong boy with a lot of brindle on his back.

I have been searching and reading up on soft stools and diarrhea. Everyone's posts have been very helpful but the diarrhea has become a constant as of yesterday. Nigel has a scheduled vet appointment for Wednesday but I called and they said to drop off a stool sample today. Hopefully we can get this figured out because he was doing soooooo good with pooping outside prior to yesterday. I transitioned him off puppy chow to blue buffalo puppy and seems to love it. Nigel also pee's a lot in very small amounts (I don't think he would start to mark this early as we have no other dogs, just one cat!)

My profile picture is a quick shot of him playing with me outdoors. Here is another from the day I picked him out! I look forward to chatting with everyone.

Nigel @ pick up.jpg

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Welcome! Nigel is a cutie!!! We have a couple other Nigels here, so you will be in good company. :)
I hope you can figure out what is going on with him, and get him back to being his healthy cute self soon!!!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: hopefully it's not too big of an issue to get past the runny poo. Have you tried giving him some canned pumpkin? (100% pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling) it's usually recommended and very helpful to firm up poo as long as there isn't an underlying medical issue that requires treatment. It can also help if antibiotics are needed because sometimes those cause looser stools.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Awww you have a Nigel too! He's so cute...My beloved is Nigel Wentworth Sinclair and he is so precious to me. Welcome to wonderful world of Bulldog Lovers! Hope your Nigel gets all well with his stool issue and that it's nothing serious. Look forward to watching him grow!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Sir Nigel is a whole lotta cute. Hope you get some answers from the stool sample you're submitting. It's certainly worrisome and even though my babies are almost four they still get runny poo here and there. Make sure he has plenty of fresh water to keep him well hydrated.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Welcome Noob! I'm guessing the loose stools is due to the food transition and from the stress of a new environment. Everyone above gave great advice.

Nigel's a doll!

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome to you and Nigel! How fast did you switch the food? Also make sure you are not giving too much, when you give a better food they don't need as much as they did on the junk food. Glad you are dropping off a stool sample to be sure!

OP
AJ Garza

AJ Garza

May 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Rupert *RIP Sir Nigel*
Thank you everyone! I have not tried the pumpkin yet but I plan on picking up some tonight to try.

OP
AJ Garza

AJ Garza

May 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Rupert *RIP Sir Nigel*
We did a 7 day transition, I am now thinking it should have been a 14 day transition. I guess I was just excited to get him home and get him on a healthy path. Lesson learned. He still eats the entire meal and doesn't throw up at all. If the tests come back negative, at least I know it is something I can control going forward.

We currently use the following schedule with Blue Buffalo Puppy softened with a little bit of water.

7:00 AM: 1/2 Cup
Noon: 1/2 Cup
3:30 PM: 1/4 Cup (more of a snack)
6 PM: 1/2 Cup
1 Treat is broken up and given to Nigel throughout the day for encouragement!

Is this too much/too little?

Thanks,
AJ

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Maybe a bit too much, it is hard to say depending on size and how much they use up of the stored nutrients/vitamins. Even just 1/4 c a day too much can cause loose stools, but first I would try not adding the water, just straight kibble. Also BB puppy seems to be known for causing runny poo. Search the forum fir blue buffalo puppy and read all the threads about it.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
You could add 2 tablespoon of cooked rice and a spoon of pure pumpkin to one meal. That should firm up his poop. Even a bit of Pedialite with the mix is a good idea.

OP
AJ Garza

AJ Garza

May 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Rupert *RIP Sir Nigel*
Vet just called and said he is free of parasites. He said to try some yogurt and OK'ed the pumpkin idea.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Vet just called and said he is free of parasites. He said to try some yogurt and OK'ed the pumpkin idea.

Yeah thats good news! My opinion I would do just pumpkin and wait for poo to get firm before giving him yogurt. I was feeding Brutus Solid Gold and couldnt figure out why his poo was soft, coat wasnt shiny, and fart like crazy! Since switching him to Fromm Grain Free everything is great! No farting, firm poo, great coat overall couldnt be happier! The food is trial and error what works for some doesnt work for all! Here is a link to the food recomendations http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=219-Dog-Food-Ratings this was a good guide when choosing a good food! Hope all goes well! There will be other advice coming as well :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and Nigel is a cutie for sure. I would cut out the 1/4 cup snake and give the pumpkin to see how he does.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online