Ready For A Bully! Please Help Me Choose a Breeder!!

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Hi all,

My name is Adam and I hail from Stamford, CT. I am an avid dog lover and am ready to own my first dog that will be raised entirely by myself and my girlfriend. I've helped to raise several dogs in the past, but never had one to truly call "my own".

I ALWAYS wanted an English Bulldog. Something about their looks, demeanor, companionship, and general friendliness plays directly into my sense of happiness. While not easily trainable, they seem to be wonderful, mid-maintenance companions. I am well aware of their health problems, and am here to get help with the extensive amounts of research to find a breeder that truly cares about the breed and has a track record of dogs with low incidences of health problems.

So, if you could kindly help me.... I'm looking for a male puppy of show quality somewhere in the Tri-state. I'll go down as far as Washington, DC to find a quality breeder with pups, so I am sure my radius is pretty solid.

Is it in poor taste to ask for a show quality dog if you may not end up showing it down the line? I think that if I am paying $2-3k for a dog that I should have an opinion on how it looks, but I am not sure if this comes off as off-putting or selfish. I do plan on putting in extensive hours with obedience training, socialization, and the likes.

In regards to looking for a breeder --- I have already looked up breeders on AKC.org and contacted a few that are in my area..... But as with all things, word of mouth and personal experience goes a long way. So I reach out to you all, if you could help me in selecting a breeder that may have puppies available in the next few months, please let me know so I may begin the process.

While I am very excited to get started, I realize that it will take some time before I can find the appropriate breeder.

Thanks so much for letting me introduce myself. I am so happy to be here and am ready to fill a void that I have been lacking for quite some time!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
It sounds like you are doing your homework, good for you! You should go to dog shows and talk to the owners/handlers of Bulldogs. Get their opinions on good breeders in your area. Find a breeder that concentrates on health and temperament. Go to the kennels, meet the Mom and Dad, talk to people who have bought puppies from them, ask if they track the health records of their puppies, and more. Most breeders want their show quality dogs shown and most show quality Bulldogs are upwards of $10.000.
Welcome to EBN!!!

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Hi Alice,

I did not realize the show-quality pups were that expensive, but I really appreciate you putting some perspective on the matter. Certainly makes me realize that I'll be happy with whomever I can probably pick up!

I see you're in OR so I am assuming you are not familiar with any breeders in the Tri-State, but I will be sure to do research and make some visits.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Very good advise about, and welcome to the site.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Hi and welcome, I can't he;p with a breeder in yuo r area but I wanted to tell you a couple things eb's are not mid maintenance breeds!! They are one of the highest maintenance breeds there are , don't let the short coat fool you. Secondly a true show quality puppy will almost always be sold to a show home and the will cost a lot more than your average eb which is in the 2500 to 3000 range for one that is healthy and well breed with a guarantee. However just because the puppy isn't show quality doesn't mean it has health issues or will not look like breed standard. It could be something as simple as ears set half an n high or low or a not perfect tail so don't lose hope, and good luck.

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Dozersmama,

Completely understandable regarding the "mid-maintenance"...Actually when I typed that I knew it would be a mistake. When I used the term mid-maintenance, I was referring to the fact that this is not the type of breed that you need to take on a 10-mile walk each day to ensure it gets it's fill. While I understand and look forward to all the small nuances that come with owning such a special breed, my apologies in generalizing the maintenance required for them.

I understand this is not a "set it and forget it" breed!! =)

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Dozersmama,

Completely understandable regarding the "mid-maintenance"...Actually when I typed that I knew it would be a mistake. When I used the term mid-maintenance, I was referring to the fact that this is not the type of breed that you need to take on a 10-mile walk each day to ensure it gets it's fill. While I understand and look forward to all the small nuances that come with owning such a special breed, my apologies in generalizing the maintenance required for them.

I understand this is not a "set it and forget it" breed!! =)
Don't apologize, no harm done . I just wanted to make sure you were aware. I wish you the best of luck on your puppy hunt ...how exciting =)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
No help for breeders in your area but also look at the bca.com list or referred breeders. Just because you arent getting a show quality maybe, buying a brother or sister from the same litter is good. Most of those breeders are already breeding for the right reasons but again asking the right questions and doing your homework is always good. You are ready for this pup arent you? Nice when I see people taking their time to get the pup of their dreams. Welcome by the way! We have had many members starts here long before getting their baby so stick around and start studying up on them. ;)

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Hey there..and welcome! I'm no help with the breeders and show quality pups. But..I also did do my research which helped me know what to look for in a pup. No..my Bubba doesn't show and he now is fixed( although the thought crossed my mind in the past), but..of course my opinion, he is handsome. Wouldn't change a thing with him!!..except his stubbornness! Lol. I bought him from a breeder, not well known, but her dogs had great looks and temperaments with few health issues. Take your time finding him! You will feel when it's right for you and him!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hiya: how exciting for you! You won't be disappointed and it sounds like you're educated and ready for the challenges and the joy. Just so you know..we aren't supposed to recommend a specific breeder on the site, but anyone who has info for you can certainly send you a Private Message! And we can hardly wait to meet your new pup! Good Luck..it's an awesome journey!

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Ah, I was wondering why I wasn't getting much in regards to that question.

I've received several PMs since, and I'm pleased to say that there are some very nice and generous people on this board.

I've actually stumbled upon a great breeder in CT that usually does not have puppies available, as they tend to show them. I happened to call today and they actually have 2 males which I am going up to see on Monday. The woman on the phone was extremely nice and we spent over an hour talking as she talked about the breed, the dogs she's had, and all about how they love to show. It was actually pretty good timing, as they were going to show the 2 males but just yesterday decided they would sell if there was interest. They don't do much advertising or promoting and will NOT ship, as they're more concerned with finding a dog an acceptable home.

She claimed the dogs had much more 'English' in their bloodlines than is typically available for dogs in the USA. This results in larger nostrils, wider air passages, and overall better health. Was fascinating to hear her talk about the breed, so I would love if someone could confirm if what she was saying was actually true. She described 2 bulldogs that she had that both lived until 12 years of age without virtually any health problems (her words, not mine). I've gotten nothing but great referrals about this breeder and while I do feel it's happening quickly, I'm most certainly a believer of 'right place, right time', so I am willing to check them out.

I will be sure to update the board once I have gotten to meet the lady, husband, and dogs in person. I am sure excited to be starting the process!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Here's another great tip for finding a reputable breeder: check your local English Bulldog Club of America website and newsletter. I've found that those folks who are involved and supporting the local club will have a legitimate and profound concern for the breed. I am sure there are exceptions certainly, but financial support and active participation in a sanctioned club can be another avenue toward meeting the folks who care about the breed we love so much.

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
Sounds wonderful! And keep us updated... Lol

~Heather~

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online