Ready For A Bully! Please Help Me Choose a Breeder!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like you met a good breeder, from what you stated in the phone conversation. Good luck and cannot wait to hear about the visit!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Hope the meeting goes well and you come home with the bully of your dreams! :welcome:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hoping all goes well for you! There is nothing like being owned by a bullie :) Keep us updated!

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Hello again all!

I was gonna try to keep this short, but I wrote a mini novel again... im real sorry...skip to the end if you want to know my decision.

When I spoke with the breeder Friday, she informed me she had 2 male pups and that I could pick the one I liked. I told her I was excited and could visit her Monday to check them out (I could have gone Saturday but was very busy).

On Sunday night, I got a VERY unfortunate message stating she had sold one of the males (the one I wanted from looking @ pics) but still had the other available if I wanted to come check it out. She told me I was actually lucky, as the male that was left had much better bone structure and had potential to be a fuller, thicker dog when grown. Needless to say, I was intrigued and still excited to see the dog. After all, I wanted to see the grounds and the dogs of the property to ensure they came from a good home.

...So I ended up spending about 2.5hrs there. I got to meet the puppies, their father, and a bunch of other dogs that were Sired by the father so as to get a good idea of the type of dog I could expect to get. This place was dog heaven. There were about 10 bulldogs on the premises, most of which were 3+ years and were either show dogs, or just retired dogs living the life. THere was one dog there, a 9 year old, who had just recently swept a weekend competition against all dogs that were 1-2 years old. All of their dogs were stunning and from the looks, all healthy and happy.

A couple important things about their dogs (and feel free to correct/elaborate on my points if not accurate):
  • All of their dogs have TAILS. Not corkscrew tails, but rather straight tails (albeit very short, small ones) that were not tight to the body like those you may find from other EBs. I was informed that most American bullies (or at least those from puppy mills) have corkscrew tails that sometimes do not sit far enough away from their body, and as a result will require constant cleaning to keep the area free from infection.
  • All their dogs have giant nostrils. The man owner noted that many of the improperly-bred bulldogs have very tight, small nostrils, which make it near impossible for them to breathe through. So instead they'll breathe predominantly through their mouths which leads to them having less stamina and more respiratory problems down the line. As having predominant English bloodlines, their dogs have extra large breathing passages and windtunnels.
  • No history of problems. Like I said before, one of the things that attracted me to this breeder was the health of their dogs. Most of their dogs have lived between 9-12 years, and almost none have had any major health problems. If my dog were to have some type of major issue in the first couple years of ownership, the Breeders would give me a new dog, free of charge. They deeply care about customer and want to be sure that I take home the happiest, healthiest puppy possible.
Now, about the puppy...oh my god...

Obviously, this was the cutest thing I ever could have imagined. He was in the pen with his sister (who the breeders aren't selling bc they're looking to show her). While I wasn't too fond of him from the pictures (see below) compared to his brother, seeing him in person instantly changed all of that. He had a great stance, bone structure, and temperament. He approached me slowly, and once I started petting him, he wouldn't leave my side. It was really an incredible experience. They were so small and goofy. he tried to walk towards me, but instead tripped on his water bowl and fell in face first. He went to sit down at one time on an incline, and ended up just falling over backwards onto his back; it was so cute. He started chewing on something and upon being instructed to stop, did so immediately (he is 9 weeks old). He had nice wide cheeks, beautiful eyes, and a really playful attitude.

So, I decided to take him!!! ....and while I'm not going to pick him up for 4 weeks (i am moving into a new house at that time), he will get to play and hang out with his sister until he's a little older, and I can visit in the meantime. The breeders will give him his second shots (as they keep the shots on the premises), so by the time I'm ready to pick him up he'll be paper-trained, partially crate-trained, well socialized, and up to date with shots. I wish I could take him at 9wks, but the chance to pick up a bulldog with a lesser threat of potential health problems outweighed my need to see him daily as a clumsy little beast. ....at least I can visit =), and by the time I get him, he'll still be young.

He will come with AKC papers, and the owner is going to sit me down and map out his lineage, complete with pictures, so I can make a scrapbook of his ancestors! I'm so happy to have this history and think it adds such a great touch to the overall experience.

Below is what everyone likes, PICTURES!... I'll show some pics of the puppy, and then show his Sire and other pups that have been produced by him.

So, without further ado, I'd like to present BREMBO, my new male brindle english bulldog:

Brembo-9wk-1.jpg

Brembo-9wk-3.jpg

Brembo-9wk-2.jpg

Brembo-9wk-4.jpg

...and here is his father, LUMPY! (omg he looked incredible in person, almost unreal)

Lumpy1.jpg

Lumpy2.jpg

...and here are some grown up puppies by LUMPY to give an example of what my pup COULD look similar to:

First, here is one of his other puppies:
Lumpy-pup-2.jpg

..and here are the grown up pups of his--
Lumpy-son-Q.jpg

Lumpy-pup-4.jpg

Lumpy-pup-3.jpg

I am SO excited, I don't know how I am going to sleep for the next 4 weeks. I'm going to visit him in 2 weeks, so hopefully I'll get some good pictures at that time. Can't believe he's going to be MINE!!

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed my post! Please let me know of any comments or questions you have!

-Adam

Last edited:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Congratulations! I can understand your excitement, he is absolutely mangificent as are the others!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Congratulations on the wonderful, darling baby bully!!! I'm happy for you and was smiling widely reading your description of him... Again, Congrats!! :)

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Awww, I love that little brindle body! Brindles were never my fav until I took Bre in. Now I'm a sucker for a brindle! LOL Congrats on your new pup, he's a doll!

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Congrats, Adam!!! Your new addition is a very handsome boy. Be sure to post plenty of pics when he comes home!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG --- he is gorgeous.... love him! And, Lumpy is beautiful!!!

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Yea! Congrats on your new pup, he is beautiful and sounds like you two are going to have a lot of fun together. Can't wait for you to bring him home and see more pictures!!!

We had a similar experience when getting Rook... we had our eye on another male in his litter from the pictures. But when we got there it was clear Rook was meant to be ours. Somethings are just meant to be, like you and Brembo!

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
We had a similar experience when getting Rook... we had our eye on another male in his litter from the pictures. But when we got there it was clear Rook was meant to be ours. Somethings are just meant to be, like you and Brembo!

A similar experience, indeed! Sometimes you just can't pick them, they have to pick you!

I have one last picture for now, this was taken on my visit there!!
Brenboat9wks006.jpg

Thanks again for all the warm and welcoming comments.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.