Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs help.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Buddy
    Likes (Received)

Default Newbie needs help.

Hi Im André and my little companion is Buddy.
    I just got Buddy a few days ago and well here i am asking for help :hahaha:
    Nice intro to bulldogs.
    Buddy is an amazing 9 month old male. gorgeous, playful, healthy, everything i ever dreamed of except one "little" thing.
    The dude is absolutely terrified of leaving the house.
    I CANNOT TAKE HIM FOR A WALK. AT ALL.
    the minute i head for the door or any other direction he is not keen on he just plops himself onto his stomach and lays there catatonic.
    its driving me mad. ive started putting the tv on to de-sensitize him from sudden sounds (i usually dont watch tv) I've started carrying him out in order to spend some time sitting on the corner getting used to the traffic. treats doesnt get him to move either.
    even when he's hungry a piece of chicken will not move him. I am sure he is genuinely scared and at the same time I am having to deal with his BULLY mind telling him to stand his ground and not give in to my coaxing (and some times pulling)
    the guy who "bred" Buddy didnt have a clue of how to raise a dog. All the vaccinations and "stuff" was done but absolutely no effort was made in making him ready to become part of a household. he is not even house trained. in fact he spent most of his life in a cage.
    however this is no time to be upset with an ignorant dog breeder. I really just need some help.
    PLEASE.
    Last edited by bullmama; 05-03-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Newbie needs help.

Okay! First of all..welcome and you are or right..welcome to the world of !! It sounds like poor Buddy has had no socialization at all. I'm not an expert at all..but we've rescued lots of dogs over the years and dealt with many personality issues! The great news is he is young. But he has to be allowed to get his feet under him and it will require you to pretend he's a new pup. Imagine how much his little world has changed. Bully's don't do well with change anyway..but he will adapt if you go very slow. I'd start with housebreaking..like a brand new pup. I would put him out only to go potty and in as quiet of a place as you can provide. In a couple weeks you can start to introduce him to a leash..inside..put it on him and let him get used to the feel of it as he walks around the house. Don't force him to go on a walk. Don't try to get him used to noise! Just let him adjust to his new normal. Earn his trust first...love him...and try to relax. It's a long process but so worth it in the end. It took 9 months for him to be filled with fear..it will take ALL of that to let his real self come out. I'll tag a couple people who might have more help. Good Luck! @Davidh..@2BullyMama..@Sherry

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Poor Bully doesn't sound like he came from a good breeder at all!!

I would say that you are just going to have to show him love, attention and teach him how to be confident in this new world of his. It may be a slow process but I'm sure you'll get there. I'm also going to tag @BruceP and @LariP because Princess Gracie had issues with the big outside world when they first got her so they may be able to give you some more firsthand advice!!

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Sylvia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tess & Rocky
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to you and Buddy. You have came to the right place. There are wonderful people here that can help you and buddy get on the right track

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Hello Andre and welcome to the wonderful world of bulldogs and EBN!

@JAKEISGREAT gave you some excellent advice... use the leash in the house so Buddy can get use to it. Also, see if you can find a treat or food that will motivate him;it will help. How is he in the car, does he like going for a ride? Have you looked into any training classes... Beginning Manners classes will help him get socialized with people and dogs and help build his confidence.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Erin
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

You got very good advice from others so I am just going to welcome you and Buddy to EBN!

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

@JAKEISGREAT has given you some great advise. Just stay calm and work with him. Like she said let him have the leash on in side to get used to it. He will come out of his shell in his own time. Just be consistent with your training. Also welcome to the site.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to you and Buddy! Good luck with your new friend, I am sure he will come out of his shy shell and socialize!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Great advice friends and welcome

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Yep. Love, patience and sometimes just picking them up and carrying outside. HRH still prefers "her room" over anywhere else. It took us a year to get her to come to the kitchen to eat. And she still rarely stays there longer than absolutely necessary to finish her dinner.

She now goes right outside first thing every morning to go potty, but we still have to coax or pick her up and put her out at other times of the day. She only goes voluntarily if she really has to go, not on our schedule. She came to us at 3 years old, and although she was housebroken she had occasional piddle in the house issues for a few months. Finally though we got that to stop and she hasn't had an accident in well over a year.

She will always prefer routine days where everything is done on her schedule. If we take her anywhere she is docile, but it is apparent she is not happy about it. Nervous pooping can be an issue, so we have to try to get her to potty before we leave.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Watson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

its gonna require alot of patience and consistent training on your part but you can do it!

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

@BUDDYnME sorry I late, I would try taking some food with you outside the house, just sit quietly near the house and give a treat or two. then go back inside, keep repeating this until he gets the idea that he is going back into the house and back out again. You don't need to stay out long. Try going a little further each time.Just so he gets the idea that you will be returning. Keep us posted.

And welcome to this wonderful world of Bullys
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads